The NAAN Registry Working Group (WG) oversees the registry of institutions that have been given a Name Assigning Authority Number (NAAN), with which they can begin assigning ARKs. The work consists mostly of responding to requests for new NAANs, but also to requests for changes to existing NAANs. Effectively the WG is a team of volunteer curators whose work will be ongoing. Although the WG is not expected ever to be finished, composition of the curatorial team is expected to evolve year to year.
NAAN maintenance. Create and refine processes that permit each NAAN request to receive a response within 48 hours (two business days).
Policy. In consultation with the Advisory Group, develop policies for deciding which requests are appropriate for the ARK community.
N2T resolution support. The NAAN Registry is harvested regularly to supply vital redirection information to the N2T resolver. Work with the Technical WG to ensure stable, error-free harvesting of registry information needed for continuous and reliable resolution.
Kickoff: clarify objectives and decide whether to meet regularly (eg, once a quarter) or on an ad hoc basis
Create a policy document
A private github repository for maintaining the master registry (private because it contains personally identifiable contact information)
A public repository to host the official public registry and derivative files.
- The NAAN Request form: https://goo.gl/forms/bmckLSPpbzpZ5dix1
The N2T resolver: n2t.net
The Advisory Group and the Technical WG
General WG features common across ARKA working groups
Roles and Responsibilities
Duty Curators – Primary and Secondary
Responsibilities of the Primary or, if unavailable, the Secondary:
- Handle NAAN requests that arrive during the duty period.
- Facilitate the monthly meeting (create meeting agenda a week in advance and email a reminder).
- At that meeting make sure the Duty Curator schedule is filled out at least two months ahead.
- “Pass the baton” to the new Primary and Secondary at the monthly meeting (new).
Chair and vice-chair provide continuity
- Manage googlegroup email list, lyrasis wiki accounts, and calendar invitations
- Be available as needed to the ARKA Advisory Group
The roster below indicates a primary and a backup curator on duty for a given period of time. The duties are (a) to respond to incoming NAAN requests within 2 business days and (b) to facilitate any NAAN working group meeting that falls in that time period. Here is the curator checklist to follow for responding to NAAN requests; note that unless you have an unexpired cookie, you may have to re-authenticate at github to avoid what looks like a 404 error (a security "feature", not a bug :) for private repos.
|May 2021||Aurélien / Chloé||John|
|July 2021||Brian||Aurélien / Chloé|
|September||John (to Sept 7)/Bertrand||John|
|January 2022||Brian to Jan 10, then David||John|
|May 1 - May 18||Brian||Maria|
|May 19 - June 15||Aurélien||Romuald|
|June 16 - July 20||David||Bertrand|
|July 21 - Aug 17||Maria||John|
|Aug 18 - Sep 21||John||Brian|
|Sep 22 - Oct 19||Romuald||Aurélien|
|Oct 20 - Nov 16||Bertrand||Maria|
|Nov 17 - Dec 21||Aurélien||Romuald|
|Dec 22 - Jan 18||John||Brian|
Working Group Members
- aurélien conraux French Ministry of Culture (vice-chair)
- Bertrand Caron BnF
- Chloé Pochon French Interministerial Archives
- Brian McBride University of Utah (chair)
- David Nogueiras Blanco Geneva School of Business Administration - University of Applied Sciences Western Switzerland
- John Kunze Ronin Institute
- Maria Gould California Digital Library
- Romuald Verrier French Ministry of Education
Teleconferences are 9am San Francisco time on the third Wednesday of each month. Connection details included in calendar invitations.
Because this group handles personally identifiable information (PII), while anyone can send email to NAAN-Registrar@googlegroups.com, the discussion archives at https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/naan-registrar are closed except to group members.
Agendas and Notes
- 2022-07-20 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2022-06-15 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2022-05-18 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2022-04-20 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2022-03-16 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2022-02-16 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2022-01-19 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2021-12-15 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2021-11-17 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2021-10-20 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2021-09-15 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2021-08-18 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2021-07-21 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2021-06-16 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2021-05-19 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2021-04-21 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2021-03-29 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2021-03-08 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2021-02-08 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2021-01-11 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2020-11-09 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2020-08-10 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2020-06-08 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2020-05-11 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2020-04-13 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes
- 2020-03-23 NAAN Registry WG Agenda and Notes