- Updates, issues, questions from implementation sites
Request for improved definitions
Lisa Charlong from Memorial University of Newfoundland has requested that the VIVO community establish an online reference source for the ontology along the lines of what FOAF provides.
Should this be
- on this wiki (and move with it to the DuraSpace wiki)? (where editable by anybody with the initiative to set up a wiki account)
- produced as an OWL DOC directly from the ontology (and hence only editable by ontology editors)
- in a Vitro instance – properties and classes as instances, with subclass-superclass relationships, etc.
- somewhere else?
Thoughts on the call
- will need some way of generating nice, clean documentation
- A frozen specification document that goes with each release
- extremely valuable in terms of being able to promote VIVO – would be a neat project with for a technical communication program example in the education arena, and RDF is well suited to that
- looking at the existing documentation – it's overwhelming, but be sure to connect all the pieces, despite it being so easy to get out of sync
- OWL Docs have some nice features
- The FOAF specification is a very long text file
- BIBO has a nice set of examples of RDF in the readable n3 format – often clarifies the definition, as well as making implementation clearer
As the VIVO DuraSpace incubator project ramps up, a new Jira space has been set up at http://jira.duraspace.org/, with the first issue to migrate VIVO 1.6 ontology issues from the current Jira space to the new one.
Please make yourself an account on the DuraSpace Confluence wiki site – accounts are shared between Confluence and Jira – so that you will be able to add, comment on, and vote on issues, either ahead of or following future meetings.
Issues to discuss
- VIVOONT-455 A new property for a person's display name?
- advantages: more natural display order (first name, middle initial, last name) and individual-level control over special cases
- disadvantages: another property to maintain by hand and that could go out of date – can a query at the page template level for first name, middle initial, and last name do well enough, given special cases including missing data, Dutch names, prefixes and suffixes
- Michaleen – Looks awkward when displayed with last name first, especially if there are suffixes – e.g., Jones Jr., HJ or Jones, HJ Jr.
- 'Jing – Hopkins has a display name from the HR data source, and people can edit it there
- VIVOONT-451 Confirm Stella's recommendation to use bibo:ReferenceSource for encyclopedia entries (as well as entire dictionaries and encyclopedias)
- VIVOONT-460 Discuss getting rid of direct headOf and currentlyHeadOf properties in favor of more complete use of time-bound roles
- VIVOONT-452 We need recommendations on adding more specific types of grants – can we get any guidance from CASRAI, other ontologies, research.gov, grants.gov, or NIH RePORTER? A few resources are listed on the issue.
- VIVOONT-459 Additional Academic Degrees needed for Duke VIVO.
- VIVOONT-458 From Memorial University of Newfoundland. Representing university and community partnerships, and research opportunities.
- VIVOONT-447 An ontology extension (subclass of URLLink) to support the clear identification of links to the full text of documents.
- VIVOONT-436 How does one represent academic/faculty tracks? – potentially as additional types of positions – see diagram attached to issue
- VIVOONT-433 How should we represent that a journal is Open Access in the ontology?
- VIVOONT-444 How should we model co-author affiliation when we only know it for one slice of time?
WebEx Call-in Information
To join the online meeting:
1. Go to https://cornelluniversity.webex.com/cornelluniversity/j.php?ED=162545212&UID=0&RT=MiMxMQ%3D%3D
2. If requested, enter your name and email address
3. Click "Join
To view in other time zones or languages, please click the link: https://cornelluniversity.webex.com/cornelluniversity/j.php?ED=162545212&UID=0&ORT=MiMxMQ%3D%3D
To join the audio conference only:
To receive a call back, provide your phone number when you join the meeting, or call one of the numbers below and enter the access code 644 936 371
*toll-free number (US/Canada): 1-855-244-8681
*toll number (US/Canada): 1-650-479-3207
*toll-free dialing restrictions: http://www.webex.com/pdf/tollfree_restrictions.pdf