Today's Meeting Times
Our IRC logging bot has been blocked from Freenode (as of July 27).
Discussion logs are no longer available at http://irclogs.duraspace.org/. As our current IRC log bot (based on PircBot) is unmaintained and doesn't align with Freenode policies (around requiring SASL authentication), Tim has reached out to https://botbot.me/ to see if they could log our #duraspace IRC channel. In the meantime, full logs of meeting discussions will be copied into the Wiki notes below.
Friendly reminders of upcoming meetings, discussions etc
- DSpace 7 Working Group: Next meeting is tomorrow, Thurs, September 13 at 14:00 UTC
- Signup for our next Community Sprint (Oct 1-12): DSpace 7 Community Sprints
Latest meeting (including video recording): 2018-09-11 DSpace 7 Entities WG Meeting
Early prototype writeup / docs: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wEmHirFzrY3qgGtRr2YBQwGOvH1IuTVGmxDIdnqvwxM/edit
- DSpace Developer Show and Tell Meetings: Yesterday's recording is now posted to DSpace On DockerHub
If you have a topic you'd like to have added to the agenda, please just add it.
(Ongoing Topic) DSpace 6.x Status Updates for this week
- 6.4 will surely happen at some point, but no definitive plan or schedule at this time. Please continue to help move forward / merge PRs into the dspace-6.x branch, and we can continue to monitor when a 6.4 release makes sense.
- DSpace Release 5.10 Status
- Brainstorms / ideas (Any quick updates to report?)
- Bulk Operations Support Enhancements (from Mark H. Wood)
- Curation System Needs (from Terrence W Brady )
- (No updates to report) How to encourage / credit folks who do Code Reviews? (Tim Donohue)
- No major updates this week. Investigating GitHub GraphQL to query for "PR Creators", "PR Reviewers", etc. and then parsing/compiling those JSON results into "Top 10" lists (currently playing with "jq", a json command-line parser). Final display of results yet to be determined.
- Good promise here, but nothing fully "working" yet (haven't had as much time as hoped to dig into this). Should (hopefully) have code/queries to share by next week?
- Tickets, Pull Requests or Email threads/discussions requiring more attention? (Please feel free to add any you wish to discuss under this topic)
These topics are ones we've touched on in the past and likely need to revisit (with other interested parties). If a topic below is of interest to you, say something and we'll promote it to an agenda topic!
- Management of database connections for DSpace going forward (7.0 and beyond). What behavior is ideal? Also see notes at DSpace Database Access
- In DSpace 5, each "Context" established a new DB connection. Context then committed or aborted the connection after it was done (based on results of that request). Context could also be shared between methods if a single transaction needed to perform actions across multiple methods.
- In DSpace 6, Hibernate manages the DB connection pool. Each thread grabs a Connection from the pool. This means two Context objects could use the same Connection (if they are in the same thread). In other words, code can no longer assume each
new Context()is treated as a new database transaction.
- Should we be making use of
SessionFactory.openSession()for READ-ONLY Contexts (or any change of Context state) to ensure we are creating a new Connection (and not simply modifying the state of an existing one)? Currently we always use
SessionFactory.getCurrentSession()in HibernateDBConnection, which doesn't guarantee a new connection: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-6_x/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/core/HibernateDBConnection.java
- Should we be making use of
Help us test / code review! These are tickets needing code review/testing and flagged for a future release (ordered by release & priority)Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Updated Assignee Reporter P Status Fix Version/s
Newly created tickets this week:Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Assignee Reporter P Status
Old, unresolved tickets with activity this week:Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Updated Assignee Reporter P Status
Tickets resolved this week:Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution
Tickets requiring review. This is the JIRA Backlog of "Received" tickets:Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Updated Assignee Reporter P
Meeting Transcript (IRC Bot is not working)
IRC Transcript is available at - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2018-08-15