Table of Contents:
DSpace 7.2 is available now!
DSpace 7.2 was released on Feb 7, 2022. It provides new features and bug fixes to the 7.x platform. See the 7.2 release announcement for more details.
DSpace 7.1 was released on Nov 1, 2021. It provides new features and bug fixes to the 7.x platform. See the 7.1 release announcement for more details.
Additional 7.x Releases will be coming soon!
The DSpace 7 Working Group has already begun work on version 7.1, which will feature the highest priority features listed in the "What features are coming in a later 7.x release?" list below. If you'd like to join the effort, or take the lead on a feature that is not in the highest priority listing, please contact Tim Donohue and/or join a DSpace 7 Working Group meeting.
DSpace v7 versus DSpace-CRIS v7
DSpace v7 and DSpace-CRIS v7 are separate open source products with separate roadmaps and separate governance models. As you may know, DSpace is a community-maintained, open-source platform, including community-elected governance. DSpace-CRIS is an open-source product built/maintained/governed by 4Science, which extends that DSpace platform for research data & information management use cases. DSpace Governance has been in discussions with 4Science regarding convergence of the two products, but the products will continue to be separate in v7.x.
DSpace 7.0 will be the largest release in the history of DSpace. It is the culmination of strategic planning by DSpace Governance in response to community feedback, use cases and needs (for additional details see Strategic Planning) (2015-16) Community competition for different UI prototypes. Nine were reviewed / analyzed for inclusion as the single, future DSpace UI. (March 2020) Beta 1 released April 19 - May 7, 2021 v7.3 development in progress. Later 7.x releases (see "What features are coming in a later 7.x release?")
Achievement More details (2014-15) Governance creates a Strategic Plan for modernizing & refreshing DSpace for the future. A key goal of this plan is a "single, out of the box user interface" to replace the aging XMLUI and JSPUI. DSpace 2015-18 Strategic Plan (2016) Formal selection of Angular as new UI framework, replacing both the XMLUI and JSPUI. New Angular UI that is modern, responsive, and built using a Bootstrap theme for easy customization. (2017) Adoption of a standards based REST API to maximize exposure of all DSpace features for integration purposes: A completely redesigned REST API that is self-documenting and human browsable. (2017-19) Redesigned submissions and workflows featuring a one page submission process with a drag-and-drop interface & a searchable MyDSpace. Configuration changes in the submission process (2017-19) Configurable entities, an optional new item type inspired by the DSpace-CRIS project that allows for complex linked relationships between items. For example, Items can now represent a Person (Entity) to provide a way to support "researcher profiles", and link that person to the works they authored. (May 2019) Preview release, including Entity demonstrator and associated data set DSpace 7 Preview Release (2019-20) Docker installation and deployment procedures Try out DSpace 7 ("Install via Docker" section) (Jan 2020) Established a new Staged Beta Release Process for 7.0, spacing out major features over a series of smaller Beta releases & delaying some low priority features for later 7.x releases. Paid/funded development began. DSpace Release 7.0 Status Beta 1 Release Notes (April 2020) Beta 2 released Beta 2 Release Notes (July 2020) Beta 3 released Beta 3 Release Notes (Oct 2020) Beta 4 released Beta 4 Release Notes (April 2021) Beta 5 released Beta 5 Release Notes Testathon OR2021 Talks / Workshop June 7-10, 2021 Final bug & accessibility fixes prior to 7.0 release See 7.0 work board (Aug 2, 2021) 7.0 release (Nov 1, 2021) 7.1 release Release Notes (Feb 7, 2022) 7.2 release Release Notes (June TBD, 2022) 7.3 release (IN PROGRESS)
DSpace 7.0 will be the largest release in the history of DSpace. It is the culmination of strategic planning by DSpace Governance in response to community feedback, use cases and needs (for additional details see Strategic Planning)
(2015-16) Community competition for different UI prototypes. Nine were reviewed / analyzed for inclusion as the single, future DSpace UI.
(March 2020) Beta 1 released
April 19 - May 7, 2021
v7.3 development in progress.
Later 7.x releases (see "What features are coming in a later 7.x release?")
Major benefits of DSpace 7
This release finally brings together two user interfaces and their communities, who had previously been working in parallel. The ambition is to bring together the best of both JSPUI and XMLUI worlds, meaning that all features you love and use are re-imagined, and re-implemented on a single new user interface technology, Angular. This new UI is backed by a brand new REST API, which opens all data & features to the web, allowing DSpace to integrate or interact with external systems/services like never before.
The switch to Angular also allows for more rapid innovation. Angular has the potential to attract developers with prior expertise, given the popularity and global traction of Angular across industries.
Want to see what it looks like? Visit Try out DSpace 7
DSpace 7 admin menu
DSpace 7 search results display
What is included in DSpace 7.0?
The efforts contributed to DSpace 7 are the largest endeavour ever undertaken by the DSpace community. The DSpace 7.0 release will concentrate on the following major features:
- A new User Interface based on Angular (to replace XMLUI and JSPUI). This work is going on in the "main" branch of https://github.com/DSpace/dspace-angular
- The goal of the new UI is to implement all major features of both XMLUI and JSPUI in a single, modern UI.
- An exhaustive list of all major features already in 7.0 can be found in the 7.0 Release Notes
- NOTE: Some, lower-priority, minor DSpace 6 XMLUI or JSPUI features have been delayed for a later 7.x release (see below). This decision was made to make 7.0 available as soon as possible.
- A refactored/enhanced REST API (using modern REST best practices). This work is going on in the "main" branch of https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace
- Additionally, a new REST Contract (describing all API interactions) is being written at https://github.com/DSpace/RestContract
- Redesigned submissions and workflows featuring a one page submission process with a drag-and-drop interface and newly redesigned MyDSpace.
- A new Configurable Entities object model, which allows for the creation of new "typed" Items, and storing relationships between Items. This feature will allow for tighter integration with external identifier systems (e.g. ORCID), current research information systems (CRIS), journal publishing systems, etc. This work was completed by the DSpace 7 Entities Working Group.
- Early technical documentation is available at https://docs.google.com/document/d/1wEmHirFzrY3qgGtRr2YBQwGOvH1IuTVGmxDIdnqvwxM/edit
For much more information see the Release Notes
What features are coming in a later 7.x release?
Because of the complexity of merging features of two UIs (XMLUI and JSPUI) into one, and the desire to make 7.0 available as soon as possible, we have chosen to release 7.0 as soon as the highest priority features (those deemed most widely used) are completed. Therefore, some features have been delayed for a later 7.x release. See DSpace 7 Release Goals for more information.
Ranking of outstanding features into "Tiers"
In April-May 2021, all DSpace Steering & Leadership members were surveyed on the features not yet implemented in 7.0. They were asked to rank those features on behalf of their institution(s) they represent. In June 2021, a subset of those members compiled the results into 5 "tiers", based on the results of that survey. These "tiers" provide the priority of every outstanding feature, and map to a rough plan for at least five 7.x releases. Features are also ranked within a "tier" based on their number (with #1 being the highest priority within that tier).
RoadMap for 7.3 (due to be released in June, 2022)
The 7.3 release will concentrate on features listed below in "Tier 1: Highest Priority" and "Tier 2: Medium-High Priority". The latest status of each feature may be found by clicking on its ticket, or browsing our 7.3 Development Board.
Volunteer development may impact the order in which features are completed. To encourage volunteers to contribute code to DSpace 7.3, volunteer developers are welcome to contribute any feature (listed in any tier below or prior approved) to the 7.3 release. These donated features will be included in the 7.3 release, provided they are contributed before the 7.3 Pull Request deadline (around one month prior to release) and pass code reviews. Please get in touch with Tim Donohue or add a comment to an existing issue ticket if you wish to volunteer to implement one of the features listed below.
Tier 1: Highest Priority Tasks for 7.x
Note: While these are the features that will be tackled first (via funded development), they are not guaranteed for a specific release of 7.x. For example, they may be added over several releases (a few in 7.1, a few in 7.2, etc.) The number added per release depends heavily on available development resources. If you want to chip in to help things go more quickly, please get in touch with Tim Donohue
See tasks on our Tier 1 Board
- (In development) (Admin) Ability to preview Batch Metadata changes during import of CSV, similar to 6.x. In 7.x, it is possible to import a CSV from the Admin Toolbar, but you are not shown a preview of pending changes. (UI ticket #782 , REST ticket #2849)
- (Available in 7.1) (General) Request a Copy, similar to how it worked in 6.x (UI ticket #779, REST ticket/PR #2129)
- (Delayed, as this feature is highly complex & may require significant effort or external funding.) (NEW) External lookup of metadata using a search or identifier (e.g. DOI) to enrich an in-progress submission. In 7.x, external searches/lookups can only be done from the MyDSpace page to start a new submission. (REST ticket #2834)
- (Available in 7.2) (Submission) Embargo entire Item (including metadata) via an "Access" section, similar to 6.x. In 7.0-7.1, only individual Bitstreams/Files can be embargoed during a submission. (UI ticket #767, REST ticket #2839)
- (Available in 7.1) (Admin) Collection harvested from an OAI-PMH endpoint (like in 6.x XMLUI), and kick off a new harvest from the UI. (UI ticket #761)
- (Available in 7.1) (Submission) Create a new Item version, similar to 6.x (as either an administrator or a submitter). In 7.0, viewing Item Versions is supported, but new versions cannot be created. (UI tickets #776 and #780, REST tickets #2844 and #2847)
- (In development) (Workflow) Preview an item during workflow approval (via a button/popup), to allow for easier accepting/rejecting, similar to 6.x (UI ticket #772)
- (Available in 7.2) (General) Feedback form, similar to 6.x (UI ticket #763, REST ticket #2836 )
- (In development) (Admin) Ability to export metadata (to CSV) from search results, similar to 6.x. In 7.x, it's possible to export metadata to CSV from a Community/Collection/Item, but not from a set of search results. (REST Ticket #3129 )
Tier 2: Medium-High Priority
See tasks on our Tier 2 Board
- (In development) (NEW) Advanced ORCID integration port from DSpace-CRIS to DSpace (Ticket #8157)
- (In development) (NEW) Migrate additional "Live-Import" external metadata sources from DSpace-CRIS to DSpace: (Ticket #3359)
- (Delayed till 7.4) (In development) (General) Support for hierarchical controlled vocabularies in Search interfaces, similar to 6.x. In 7.x, hierarchical controlled vocabularies are supported in the Submission form but not in Search. (UI ticket #815, REST ticket #2870)
- (In development - to be donated) (General) List of Recently Added Items (Recent Submissions) on homepage, similar to 6.x. In 7.x, this is only available on Collection homepages. (UI ticket #667)
- (In development) (Submission) SHERPA/RoMEO integration, similar to 6.x (UI ticket #769, REST ticket #2840)
- (NEW) Export all personal data for your user account (compliance for privacy) (UI ticket #814, REST ticket #2888)
- (Delayed, as this feature is highly complex & may require significant effort or external funding.) (NEW) Extracting metadata from a bibliographic file (e.g. BibTex, PDF) to enrich an in-progress submission. In 7.x, metadata extraction only will occur when uploading a file from the MyDSpace page to start a new submission. (REST ticket #2833)
- (Submission) Supervision Orders (similar to 6.x JSPUI) (UI ticket #808, REST ticket #2878)
- (Available in 7.2) (General) Support "Browse By" configurations for custom browse options. In 7.0-7.1, "Browse By" options shown in the UI are hardcoded when they should be read from configuration. (UI ticket #852)
- (In development) (Admin) Administrative Control Panel (similar to 6.x XMLUI) (UI ticket #801, REST ticket #2877)
- (In development - to be donated) (Submission) Support for type-based submission forms (<type-bind> configuration), similar to 6.x. (UI ticket #806, REST ticket #2873)
- (Available in 7.2) (Submission) Make an item "private" during submission, similar to 6.x (UI ticket #768)
- (In development) (NEW) Signposting support, aligning with recommendations from the COAR Next Generation Repositories Report (UI ticket #811, REST ticket #2881)
- (Integrations) OpenSearch API support, similar to 6.x (UI Ticket #791, REST ticket #2869)
- (In development) (NEW) Versioning support for Configurable Entities (UI ticket #1312, REST ticket #7937)
- (Authentication) Ability to disable self-registration, similar to 6.x (REST ticket #3272)
Tier 3: Medium Priority
See tasks on our Tier 3 Board
- (Admin) Batch Import from a Zip file in Admin UI, similar to 6.x. In 7.x, it is still possible to batch import from command line, but not yet possible from the Admin UI. (UI ticket #783, REST ticket #2850)
- (Admin) Batch Export an Item, a Collection or a Community to Zip file in Admin UI, similar to 6.x. In 7.x, it is still possible to batch export from command line, but not possible from the Admin UI. (UI tickets #774 and #775 and #777, REST tickets #2842 and #2843 and #2845)
- (Workflow) Full support for custom configurable workflow steps, similar to 6.x. In 7.x, some workflow step names are hardcoded, so custom named steps may not be recognized automatically. (UI ticket #770, REST ticket #2841 )
- (NEW) AIP Backup and Restore should support export/import of Entities & their relationships (REST ticket #2882)
- (General) RSS / ATOM feeds for Site, Community or Collection, similar to 6.x (UI ticket #788 , REST ticket #2864 )
- (General) Ability to subscribe to email updates for a Collection (Manage Subscriptions), similar to 6.x (UI ticket #803, REST ticket #2871). In 7.x, existing email subscriptions will still work, but they cannot be managed or added from the UI.
- (NEW) Ability to edit an Archived Item via a submission-like form (i.e. easier to use Edit Item form) (UI ticket #807, REST ticket #2876)
- (NEW) ResourceSync support, aligning with recommendations from the COAR Next Generation Repositories Report (REST ticket #2318)
- (Statistics) Administrative (potentially log-based) statistical reports, similar to 6.x (UI ticket #786, REST ticket #2852)
Tier 4: Medium-Low Priority
See tasks on our Tier 4 Board
- (Available in 7.1) (NEW) Simple Archive Format (SAF) Import should support Entity/relationship creation (REST ticket #2883)
- (Admin) Bulk access control management (previously called "Advanced Policy Manager" in 6.x) - The ability to modify policies on several items at once. (UI ticket #781, REST ticket #2848)
- (General) Additional contextual help (e.g. hover-overs which provide hints/tips on using the user interface), similar to 6.x JSPUI (UI ticket #762)
- (Workflow) Ability to batch claim workflow tasks. In 7.0, you can only claim one task at a time. (UI ticket #771)
- (Submission) Support for kicking off a Curation Task during Submission process, similar to 6.x (REST ticket #2868)
- (Workflow) Migrate additional configurable workflow steps from 6.x, specifically "Select Single Reviewer Workflow", "Score Review Workflow", etc. (REST tickets #2874, #2875)
- (In development - to be donated) (NEW) OpenAIRE integration with the notification broker and the claim service (UI PR #1007, REST PR #3143)
- (NEW) SWORD should support Entity/relationship creation (REST ticket #2884)
Tier 5: Low Priority
These features were deemed lowest priority of all on our list. While most will still be implemented in 7.x, some may also be reviewed for possible removal (or replacement) if the feature is no longer useful. See tasks on our Tier 5 Board
- (Admin) Edit homepage news from Admin UI, similar to 6.x JSPUI. (UI ticket #784, REST Contract Ticket #45)
- (NEW) Easily embargo an Archived Item using a date-picker or form. In 7.0, you can embargo an Item by modifying its Policies/Permissions directly (e.g. creating an Anonymous policy that starts on a future date will embargo that item until that date). (UI ticket #778, REST ticket #2846)
- (General) Display "More like this" (similar items) on an Item page, similar to 6.x XMLUI. (UI ticket #1288)
- (Available in 7.0) (General) View your groups in your user profile page.
- (Integrations) Migrate SWORDv1 client (ability to send content from DSpace to an external SWORDv1 server) from 6.x (REST ticket #3127)
- (NEW) Support drag & drop of multiple files at once from MyDSpace page. In 7.0, only one file can be drag & dropped at a time from MyDSpace. However, you can drag & drop additional files during submission. (UI ticket #820)
- (Admin) Edit default deposit license from Admin UI, similar to 6.x JSPUI. (UI ticket #809, REST ticket #2879)
- (Integrations) OpenURL Support (UI ticket #789 , REST ticket #2865 )
- (Statistics) Search reports, similar to 6.x. Statistics on searches performed in DSpace. (UI ticket #810, REST ticket #2880)
- (General) Tag cloud visualization, similar to 6.x JSPUI. (UI ticket #790 , REST ticket #2866)
- (Statistics) Workflow reports, similar to 6.x. Statistics on items currently in workflow approval in DSpace. (UI ticket #785, REST ticket #2851)
Try out DSpace 7
Try out DSpace 7 has instructions for installing DSpace 7 locally, or via Docker. Keep in mind, DSpace 7 is not yet "production ready" until 7.0 is released.
If you want to quickly test out the latest DSpace 7 code, you may do so using our demo site.
- DSpace 7 User Interface Demo: https://demo7.dspace.org/ (Login: firstname.lastname@example.org , Password: dspace)
- DSpace 7 REST API Demo: https://api7.dspace.org/server/ (Login: email@example.com , Password: dspace)
- REST Contract / Documentation is available at: https://github.com/DSpace/RestContract/blob/master/README.md
Keep in mind, our User Interface Demo uses the REST API Demo as the backend. So, any content created (by anyone) will immediately appear in both locations.
Where is this work happening? How can I track it?
Active development work takes part in the DSpace 7 Working Group. This development team meets on a weekly basis (every Thursday). All meetings are open (anyone can attend) and meeting notes are publicly available off the group's wiki page.
We also use Slack to communicate between meetings. Anyone can request a Slack invite (see link) to listen in or join discussions.
We are tracking the current status of all active DSpace 7 development in our DSpace 7 Project Boards.
Presentations / Workshops
Here are the latest DSpace 7 presentations: DSpace 7 at OR2021
Additional presentations/workshops may be found at:
- September 2019 - DSpace North American User Group Meeting
- June 2019 - Open Repositories 2019 Hamburg
- Older presentations can be found on DSpace 7 Media and Presentations