Today's Meeting Times
Friendly reminders of upcoming meetings, discussions etc
- DSpace 7 Working Group (2016-2023): Next meeting is April 26 at 14:00 UTC in DSpace Meeting Room. See wiki page for meeting details and past meeting notes.
DSpace Entities Working Group (2017-18): Next meeting is TBD. See wiki page for meeting details and past meeting notes.
- DSpace Developer Show and Tell Meetings: Next Show & Tell will be May 15 at 15:00 UTC.
- Video from yesterday's IDE Showcase available at Dev Show and Tell - IDE Showcase - Apr 17, 2018 - 1500UTC
If you have a topic you'd like to have added to the agenda, please just add it.
Note: Tim will be unavailable for this week's meeting (back on Thurs). Kim Shepherd has volunteered to coordinate the meeting.
- DSpace 7 Community Sprints : Reminder that the first spring is coming up on May 7-18. Signup if interested
- Sprint goals documented at DSpace 7 Community Sprint 1
(Ongoing Topic) DSpace 7 Status Updates for this week (no major updates - other than Sprint reminder)
- DSpace 7 Working Group (2016-2023) is currently concentrating on building out search, submission, authentication and MyDSpace functionality. 4Science submission/workflow UI (see video, slides) to be submitted as series of PRs in coming weeks.
- DSpace 7 Dev Status spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18brPF7cZy_UKyj97Ta44UJg5Z8OwJGi7PLoPJVz-g3g/edit#gid=0
(Ongoing Topic) DSpace 6.x Status Updates for this week
DSpace 6.3 Release Planning is ongoing. Thanks to those who have been helping out with tests and reviews over the last week.
Over the next week or two, more open PRs will be shifted to 6.4 as we don't have enough resource to get through them all. DS-3447 has also given us a bit more work to do, to get some important bug fixes into the release (ORCID API functionality). The schedule will therefore be pushed out a bit, perhaps a 'soft freeze' by May 14 or 15 and release by May 21. If we can get to a 'soft freeze' on 6.x merges, we can start testing a 6.3 release more thoroughly. More info at: https://groups.google.com/forum/#!topic/dspace-devel/RbHhnhaFOto
Tickets, Pull Requests or Email threads/discussions requiring more attention? (Please feel free to add any you wish to discuss under this topic)
- ORCID support broken:
- Quick win PRs for 6.3 or 7.0 needing a +1 in Github
These topics are ones we've touched on in the past and likely need to revisit (with other interested parties). If a topic below is of interest to you, say something and we'll promote it to an agenda topic!
- Management of database connections for DSpace going forward (7.0 and beyond). What behavior is ideal? Also see notes at DSpace Database Access
- In DSpace 5, each "Context" established a new DB connection. Context then committed or aborted the connection after it was done (based on results of that request). Context could also be shared between methods if a single transaction needed to perform actions across multiple methods.
- In DSpace 6, Hibernate manages the DB connection pool. Each thread grabs a Connection from the pool. This means two Context objects could use the same Connection (if they are in the same thread). In other words, code can no longer assume each
new Context()is treated as a new database transaction.
- Should we be making use of
SessionFactory.openSession()for READ-ONLY Contexts (or any change of Context state) to ensure we are creating a new Connection (and not simply modifying the state of an existing one)? Currently we always use
SessionFactory.getCurrentSession()in HibernateDBConnection, which doesn't guarantee a new connection: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-6_x/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/core/HibernateDBConnection.java
- Should we be making use of
Help us test / code review! These are tickets needing code review/testing and flagged for a future release (ordered by release & priority)Click here to expand...
Newly created tickets this week:Click here to expand...
Old, unresolved tickets with activity this week:Click here to expand...
Tickets resolved this week:Click here to expand...
Tickets requiring review. This is the JIRA Backlog of "Received" tickets:Click here to expand...
IRC Transcript is available at - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2018-04-25