Date & Time
- September 11th 15:00 UTC/GMT - 11:00 EDT
We will be using the DSpace Zoom Meeting Room for our meeting.
Meeting location: https://duraspace.zoom.us/my/dspace
Enter Meeting ID: 502 527 3040 , followed by #
Zoom information: DSpace Meeting Room
- Training and Documentation for DSpace
- Discuss potential working group and call for volunteers
Preparing for the call
If you can join the call, or are willing to comment on the topics submitted via the meeting page, please add your name, institution, and repository URL to the Call Attendees section below.
Ongoing training activities:
COAR (Confederation of Open Access Repositories) Training materials planning:
- Maximizing the visibility and discoverability of content in repositories: Search engine optimization, Repository registries, Repository registries
- Software implementation and upgrading: Out-of-the-box implementation of DSpace; Customizing DSpace; Upgrading to the most recent version
- Repository Interoperability: Best practices for metadata - Dublin Core; An introduction to vocabularies, COAR vocabularies, Instructions on how to implement in your repository; DOIs - what are they and why are they important; How to implement
- Usage statistics
- Repository networks and aggregators: Preparing your repository for harvesting - see discoverability; Harvester technologies.
Making training materials available from Peru Repository Workshop: https://www.coar-repositories.org/news-media/peru-repository-workshop/
- Which training materials do we need?
- How do we make them available, e.g. recorded tutorials?
Actions: Set up the DSpace training group (about five people, version agnostic). Interested: Iryna (chair), Kimberly, Pauline, Mariya. Marianne will provide feedback and comments. Iryna will draft the announcement, etc.
Suggestions: a user handbook, help guides for basic management, demos, walk-throughs for repository managers by repository managers
Channels: wiki, YouTube, github.
Issues: The current demo page shows the latest version of the software. Perhaps we need it for the seven supported versions? Suggestion: argue for the current and the last.
Draft a survey about training materials available already (Iryna). Check the minutes of DCAT Meeting February 2018.
Topics: repository management; check Stuart's original list and materials (Old DSpace course), keep the structure, update the materials
Have the basic and advanced sets
Check Bram's Search Engine Recommendations.
Licenses: aim for CC-BY, discuss other options if some content creators are not comfortable with this (e. g. prefer CC BY-NC).
Types of the materials: the wiki for the written documentation + enhancements - videos, slides.
Next month topic: Terry about accessibility needs and requirements to provide guidance to DSpace 7 team. Terry and Kimberly have some examples to share