Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Thursday, June 28, 10 AM US Eastern Time

Connection Info

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://duraspace.zoom.us/j/952326581

Or iPhone one-tap :
    US: +16468769923,,952326581#  or +16699006833,,952326581# 
Or Telephone:
    Dial(for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): 
        US: +1 646 876 9923  or +1 669 900 6833  or +1 408 638 0968 
    Meeting ID: 952 326 581
    International numbers available: https://duraspace.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=UwwKqz4RbGAsBAZgCE9XMorMuL0CeV4Q

more details»  copy to my calendar

Attendees

Agenda

  1. VIVO uses an HTML WYSYWIG HTML editor to edit many string properties. Stefan Wolff would like to edit plain text with a plain text editor and HTML with the WYSWIG editor. Do we need an application configuration ontology property to specify string handling/editing in the application? See VIVO-1528
  2. Vocabularies and ontologies we should be aligned with? Any/all of OBO, COAR, WikiData, schema.org, W3C PROV, W3C Time, CASRAI, DataCite, SPAR, CASRAI, EuroCRIS, RDA, others
  3. 73 open issues in OpenRIF: How to start, set priorities - https://github.com/openrif/vivo-isf-ontology/issues
  4. Updates
    1. Brian Lowe gave an impromptu tutorial on the ontology upgrade scripts and processes for updating triple stores based on ontological changes at the VIVO Conference.  A magic triple is checked each time VIVO starts to see if an upgrade is necessary. If an upgrade is necessary, a series of scripts are run to create and add new triples, and remove old triples. To see these scripts, visit VIVO/webapp/src/main/webapp/WEB-INF/ontologies Mike Conlon will work with Brian Loweand this group to document the upgrade process. See  VIVO-1532 - Getting issue details... STATUS
    2. Mike Conlon will be working with David Baker and CASRAI to develop a Research Management Information (RMI) ontology module for VIVO. Using existing VIVO ontology, this module will provide additional terms needed for research administration. There is interest in Canada to use VIVO to record more detail regarding the administration of projects and grants.
    3. SIGMA will be working to update the CERIF to VIVO mapping that was done prior to the large scale ontology changes of 2015 (version 1.5 → 1.6)  The expected result is an XSLT that can transform CERIF output to VIVO input. Mike Conlon and Brian Lowe may be involved in review of this work. CERIF has information about research administration that may not currently be represented by VIVO. SIGMA will likely focus on scholarly communication, but David Baker and I have interest in areas of the CERIF model beyond scholarly communication.
    4. Stanford will be using the VIVO ontology as the basis for their Research Information Management (not to be confused with RMI above) project RIALTO. They are likely to discover the need for extension to the VIVO ontology and/or a module. Their interests are broad.

Notes

  1. VIVO-1528: It's true that VIVO bases most editing based on the type of the property. But for strings it's not clear which should be HTML edited, which not. At least 3 different solutions:
    1. Configuration property for deciding which editor should be applied
    2. Use data type for decision which editor should be used
    3. Application decides based on context, like most application do. That puts domain knowledge in the templates
    Please comment on the JIRA ticket linked above.
    Violeta & Mike: We should reduce the use of the HTML/WYSIWYG editor anyway.
    To do: Where in a common/popular ontology is the data range of the DOI declared as URL (data type restriction = URL). Fallback solution: URI. Christian Hauschke
    Then there should be a PR for the bibontology.  [http://bibliographic-ontology.org/ AND https://github.com/structureddynamics/Bibliographic-Ontology-BIBO
    Look into schema.org and how they define identifiers: https://schema.org/identifier ]
    Christian: Proposing an identifier ontology
    Mike: Maybe at Pidapalooza 2019
  2. Brian's session at the VIVO conference 2018 regarding the askupdated.sparql (https://github.com/search?q=org%3Avivo-project+askupdated.sparql&type=Code). We could start with ontology releases (with semantic versioning. which has its downsides).
  3. Clear process for ontology additions/changes:
    1. Make a local ontology
    2. If there's something that could be intersting to the VIVO community in general: Open up an issue in https://github.com/openrif/vivo-isf-ontology/

In Progress or Review Ontology Issues

Key Summary T Created Updated Due Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution
Loading...
Refresh

Open Ontology Issues

Key Summary T Created Updated Due Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution
Loading...
Refresh

  • No labels