Task forces are self-organized groups that can develop code, make ontology improvements, organize events, write documentation – any work that moves VIVO forward. Task Forces are typically short-term and goal-oriented, ending after finishing their work (in contrast, Interest Groups are ongoing discussion groups).
Anyone may create a task force for any purpose.
As an open source community grows, the diversity of the participants' interests and expertise increases. At the same time, the ability to manage the work done within the community becomes more complex. Task forces help track the work everyone is doing in the community to help avoid people working on the same issue or at cross-purposes. Task forces also increase the visibility of project work by community members and encourage greater community engagement.
The task force model model is meant to assert the least possible structure and is derived primarily from the experiences and guidelines of related organizations, including the W3C, the Research Data Alliance, and the Apache Software Foundation. The framework has been modified to align with existing VIVO governance structures.
The task force framework enables VIVO to
- prioritize the work of the community so that it aligns with the VIVO strategy and stated high-priority goals
- engage VIVO supporters outside of the VIVO governance groups
- increase the number of and visibility of community contributions to the VIVO community
- ensure that work is getting done
- easily document the key processes for getting work done, including:
- preparation of a brief proposal (charter) describing the work to be done
- ensure the members from the community are solicited to engage with the work
- identify objectives and deliverables
See How to Form a Task Force for details outlining how to form a task force, along with templates for one-page charter preparation, meeting agendas and notes.
For questions about the task force process, charter development, or how to determine if the project you want to propose fits within the strategic goals and value proposition of VIVO, please contact the Leadership Group Chair or anyone on the Leadership Group.