Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata


 from 15:00-16:00 UTC

As of Oct 31, 2019 this meeting has switched to 15:00 UTC (as daylight savings ends in Europe on Oct 27). This means the local time will be unchanged for European attendees. 

In North America, as daylight savings ends one week later (on Nov 3), attendees will attend this meeting at 11:00am EDT on Oct 31, but as of November 7 it will switch back to 10:00am EST.

Location: (Meeting ID: 502 527 3040).


  • (15 mins) Developer Stand Up - Developers give brief updates on their effort (or their team's effort).

    • Update/see "Current Work" section below based on your status. Please feel free to update prior to meeting.
    • Please highlight any new work (needing reviews/testing), any blockers (for you), and any discussion topics you may have.
  • (30 mins) General Discussion Topics
    1. Revisiting Authorization Discussion (from last week's meeting).  Andrea Bollini (4Science)will provide a draft REST Contract for how to check authorizations (using the AuthorizeService)
    2. Reviewing & scoping tasks flagged as "NEEDS MORE INFO" in Development Planning Spreadsheet
      1. This is necessary to prepare for the next phase of the DSpace 7 Estimation Process
  • (15 mins) Planning for next week


Current Work

Legend for status icons

(blue star) = Highest Priority tasks (please prioritize these reviews/tasks over others). These are tasks with lots of dependencies

(error) = review done, changes were requested or bugs found.

(tick) = review done, approved.

(warning) = review done, merge conflict or other minor changes requests

1 APPROVAL = pull request only requires a single approval to merge.  This is generally reserved for PRs which are either smaller, obvious, and/or bug fixes with tests to prove they work.  

Tickets / PRs In Progress

  1. (Angular) Adding Accessibility via Travis CI (work in progress) (Lower priority)
  2. (warning) (Angular Bug) ( Art Lowel (Atmire) )
  3. (REST Contract) Edit Homepage news: (Ben Bosman  - has outstanding questions/comments) (Lower priority)
  4. (REST) DS-4043: Revisit the security layer of the submission  (work in progress) Andrea Bollini (4Science)
  5. (REST) Pagination bug with withdrawn items: (Dimitris Pierrakos , Ben Bosman - Feedback provided)
  6. (REST Contract) ResourcePolicy endpoint - coming before next meeting

PRs Needing Review

  1. (REST Contract) Group and eperson management: (Tim Donohue - feedback provided,  Andrea Bollini (4Science) - (warning) feedback provided)
  2. (NEW) REST Contract for resourcepolicies:  (Ben Bosman , Tim Donohue )
  3. (REST) Scripts and processes endpoint FEEDBACK HAS BEEN PROCESSED (Tim Donohue - (warning) concerns about creating a lot of new Controllers, Dimitris Pierrakos) - Was reviewed by Ben Bosman internally.
  4. (REST) Ds 4317 bundles in rest ((tick) Ben BosmanTim Donohue - (warning) concerns about creating a lot of new Controllers, Chris Wilper )
    1. Also requires an Angular branch (WIP)
  5. (REST) REST Projections initial PR: (Andrea Bollini (4Science) , Ben Bosman , Tim Donohue )
  6. (REST) Ds 4358 tests in modules  1 APPROVAL(Tim Donohue - (warning) dependencies need cleanup, NEEDS SECOND REVIEWER)
  7. (REST) CRUD on Collection & Community logo 1 APPROVAL(Chris WilperTim Donohue)
  8. (Angular) Shibboleth integration support:  (Giuseppe Digilio (4Science) reviewed again fixed error with yarn start, Fernando FCT/FCCN, Paulo Graça - feedback provided)
  9. (Angular) forceBypassCache should be removed from the RequestService: ((tick)Art Lowel (Atmire) - approved again,  Giuseppe Digilio (4Science) )
  10. (Angular) Routing by handle and uuid: (Art Lowel (Atmire) - provided feedback, Giuseppe Digilio (4Science), Tim Donohue , Andrea Bollini (4Science) - might be able to help with pid endpoint)
  11. (Angular) Tracking stats from the UI (Tim Donohue , NEEDS SECOND REVIEWER)
  12. (Angular) (HIGH PRIORITY) Refactor object lists (Giuseppe Digilio (4Science)Tim Donohue)
  13. (NEW) (Angular) Add community & collection tree (Tim Donohue , NEEDS SECOND REVIEWER)
  14. (NEW) (Angular) (HIGH PRIORITY) i18n sync script (Giuseppe Digilio (4Science), Tim Donohue , (tick)Bram Luyten (Atmire) )
  15. (NEW) (Angular) Edit collection - content source tab (Paulo Graça , NEEDS SECOND REVIEWER)
  16. (Backend) dspace.bat file: 1 APPROVAL (Tim Donohue - will test on Windows, Alexander Sulfrian, Chris Wilper , Andrea Bollini (4Science) - will test on linux) 

PRs Merged this week!

  1. (tick) (REST Contract) bundle DELETE contract 
  2. (tick) (REST) DS-4337 implement bitstream-bitstreamformat relation endpoints


  1. (Blocked PRs go here)

Delayed / Needs Discussion

  1. Managing Authorization info in Angular UIHow to pass Authorization rights (i.e. logged in user's access rights) from REST API to Angular?  See for example:
    1. Can this be achieved via passed HAL "_links" (e.g. the existence of an "edit" link in REST response means you must have Edit rights)?
    2. In July 25 meeting, we noted this probably cannot be resolved with just one simple solution. May need to look at different options for different scenarios
      1. Also likely to need to store/cache a user's Groups in UI layer, as some areas (e.g. Administrative) require knowledge of user group membership

Andrea Bollini (4Science) has investigated on that and created the following resources/proposals: 

2. REST API Projections:  DS-3533 - Getting issue details... STATUS

  1. Early work begun at  Discussed in more detail in our Aug 22 meeting.  Overall, this approach seems like a good direction, need volunteers to move it forward.
    1. (discussion resumed by Andrea Bollini (4Science) could be relevant for the projection)
  1. Initial Performance Testing from Chris.
  2. (REST Contract) Edit Homepage News:
    1. Delayed until after Preview release. General agreement (in meeting on March 21, 2019) that storing HTML in metadata fields is not really ideal behavior.  Metadata (from a librarian standpoint) tends to be free of format-related markup (as that allows for easier sharing, understanding of metadata.  Currently Community & Collection homepage information is HTML-based and is stored in metadata that is appropriate for a minor subset of information (like the title) but it is better to move large/rich text to bitstreams.  
    2. Proposal here is to consider storing HTML-based markup (for Site, Community & Collection homepages) in Bitstream(s) associated with the object in question.  May allow for more CMS-lite behavior in the future
    3. Timeline for this is uncertain.  Possibly in 7 or 8. May depend on how/whether it can be scoped.
  3. Concurrency in DSpace 7 (or 8).  What do we want to do when multiple editors are editing the same object?  Needs further analysis regarding implementation details
    1. We've decided (in meeting on March 7, 2019) to use ETags to implement concurrency. REST Contract notes on ETags:
    2. ETags only update of the two fields match. If someone edits first, your edit would fail and you would get a fail response (422?)
    3. ETags seems to have broader support in other REST APIs.  Recommended also by both Art and Andrea.


  • Discussions of Managing Authorization Info sharing between REST API and Angular UI
    • Andrea talked us through REST Authorization notes
    • Also contract on "resourcepolicies":
    • All agree this "features" endpoint seems in line with ideas from last week's discussion
    • We need to keep a tight scope here...we don't want to reinvent/recreate the Authorization system in v7 (that's out of scope).  But, we do want to see if we can remove authorization "decisions" (i.e. code) from the Angular UI layer, and ensure they are made in the REST or Java API.  In v6, some of these decisions were in the Java API, but some were wrongly made in the XMLUI and JSPUI.
    • Ben questions on how to get embargo dates back from new "features" endpoint? Andrea notes that the embargo date will be available from the resourcepolicies endpoint (at least for now).  So, this may need to be two calls.
      • Tim notes that in future (v8 or beyond) there may be opportunities to simplify (and maybe even remove need for resourcepolicies endpoint), but we need to not put too much in scope of v7.
    • TODO: Andrea will create a Contract for the "features" endpoint for next week
    • Implementations for both these endpoints (resourcepolicies and features) is being planned for new student working at 4Science
      • These are HIGH PRIORITY endpoints though, so the sooner we can agree on REST Contracts, the sooner the implementation can occur & get reviewed.  Maybe even by end of Nov if we act quick.
      • TODO: All should review resourcepolicies contract to move forward.  Also review the notes Andrea created on (upcoming) features endpoint to ensure no further major questions.