Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees

  • Pascal-Nicolas Becker (The Library Code) 

  • Allan Bell (University of British Columbia Library) 

  • John Butler (University of Minnesota)
  • Suzanne Chase (Georgetown University)

  • Lieven Droogmans (Atmire)
  • Federico Ferrario / Roberto Suardi (Cineca)

  • Scott Hanrath (University of Kansas) 

  • Barbara Hirschmann (ETH Zurich) 
  • Jyrki Ilva (National Library of Finland) - (Interim Chair)

  • Pierre Lasou (Université Laval)

  • Mariya Maistrovskaya (University of Toronto)
  • Agustina Martinez Garcia (University of Cambridge)

  • Joao Mendes Moreira (Foundation of Science and Technology Portugal)

  • Susanna Mornati (4Science)

  • César Olivares (CONCYTEC)
  • Jere Odell (Indiana University Purdue University Indiana)

  • Kristi Park (Texas Digital Library)

  • Beate Rajski (Hamburg University of Technology)
  • Gail Steinhart (Cornell University)
  • Maureen Walsh (The Ohio State University Libraries)

LYRASIS

  • Tim Donohue

  • Heather Greer Klein
  • Michele Mennielli (star) 
  • Erin Tripp

The (star) represents who will be taking notes for a given meeting. It rotates after each meeting to the next person in the attendee list.


Meeting time:  10-11AM GMT-4


Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://lyrasis.zoom.us/j/9963190968  (Meeting ID: 996 319 0968)

One tap mobile
+19292056099,,9963190968# US (New York)
+16699006833,,9963190968# US (San Jose)

Dial by your location
+1 929 205 6099 US (New York)
+1 669 900 6833 US (San Jose)
877 853 5257 US Toll-free
888 475 4499 US Toll-free
+32 2 290 9360 Belgium
+32 2 588 4188 Belgium
0 800 267 88 Belgium Toll-free
+1 647 558 0588 Canada
855 703 8985 Canada Toll-free
+358 3 4109 2129 Finland
+358 9 4245 1488 Finland
0 800 102 188 Finland Toll-free
+49 30 3080 6188 Germany
+49 30 5679 5800 Germany
+49 69 7104 9922 Germany
0 800 1800 150 Germany Toll-free
0 800 724 3138 Germany Toll-free
+39 020 066 7245 Italy
+39 069 480 6488 Italy
800 596 788 Italy Toll-free
800 790 654 Italy Toll-free
+51 1 707 5788 Peru
+51 1 730 6777 Peru
0 800 78743 Peru Toll-free
+351 308 804 188 Portugal
+351 308 810 988 Portugal
800 180 888 Portugal Toll-free
+41 22 518 89 78 Switzerland
+41 31 528 09 88 Switzerland
+41 43 210 70 42 Switzerland
0 800 002 622 Switzerland Toll-free
0 800 561 252 Switzerland Toll-free
+44 131 460 1196 United Kingdom
+44 203 051 2874 United Kingdom
+44 203 481 5237 United Kingdom
+44 203 966 3809 United Kingdom
0 800 031 5717 United Kingdom Toll-free
Meeting ID: 996 319 0968
Find your local number: https://zoom.us/u/ad34rKdCKv


Agenda

#

Time

Item

Information

Who

15 minRound of introductions for the new MembersSuzanne Chase (Georgetown University), Mariya Maistrovskaya (University of Toronto), Jere Odell (Indiana University Purdue University Indiana), and Gail Steinhart (Cornell University)
210 minTwo community at large membersNomination vs election?Michele
310 minScheduling regular meetingsonce a monthMichele
415 minSteering Group membership, LG and SG chairs

As part of our annual rotation, we need three new members for the DSpace Steering Group. The appointment is for the next three years. The nominations should be received before the September LG meeting.

We will also need to appoint permanent chairs for the LG and SG for the next year, preferably by September.

Michele, Jyrki
510 minDSpace 7 update
Tim
610 minStrategic plan 2019-2021

Two working groups have been nominated to work on an updated strategic plan, but the work hasn't started yet. Do we need to appoint additional members for these groups?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1DWz-d9EBaMi7dgfbfqeqVbcj8qDjOyUE_pjcqUYPKJM/edit#gid=0

Jyrki
7
AOB


NOTES:

Two community at large members

The community at large representatives were introduced last year. It is an opportunity for community members to be involved in the DSpace Governance even though their institutions are not members. Last year we looked for nominees sending out email to the broad community using the DSpace lists. In the past few months many DSpace national User Groups have been formed and it could be a good opportunity to work with the coordinators to get nominees.

There was consensus on reaching out to the broadest possible community, considering that last year we received exactly 2 nominations for the 2 seats available.

Action: Mic will also ask all the national user group coordinators to share the information with their communities, trying to get some new country in the Leadership Group.


Scheduling regular meetings

Leaders meet once a month. Last year we had 2 different time slots alternating in order to make it easier for people in different time zone to participate.

Action: Mic to send out doodle polls to identify schedule for the regular meetings.


Steering Group membership, LG and SG chairs

One of the Leadership Group responsibilities is to nominate the Steering Group Members. Last year a new governance model was introduced defining the SG as a sub-group of the leaders, composed by 9 members elected for 3 years. It was also decided that each year 3 members should rotate out. This year the 3 Steerers rotating out are Salwa Ismail, Pascal Becker and Federico Ferrario.

Action: Nominations to the Steering group should be sent to Jyrki (SG Chair and Interim LG Chair) by August Friday 30.

The Leadership Group also needs a new Chair.

Erin: the LG is a very large group. Salwa was a great Chair because she managed to coordinate the activity of a big group through different communication channels (video calls, slack and google list) and mediating points of views that at times were very different, summarizing the ideas and preparing the group for making decisions. Jyrki, as SG Chair, is very well organized and helps keep the group on track and focus. You might want to consider this when looking for the next Chairs.

Mic: besides the formal governance group (LG and SG), there are working groups already in place and others that could be formed that could help distribute work and responsibilities among Leaders.


DSpace 7 update

Tim: this is the first LG since OR2019 last May. DSpace 7 was the only project with multiple dedicated sessions.

You can find slides and recordings of every single DSpace presentation given at OR on the dedicated WIKI page: DSpace 7 at OR2019

Since OR, due to holiday and vacation, the status of DSpace 7 hasn’t vastly changed. There are 2 main working groups: DSpace 7 WG, as a primary WG. Coordinating what’s next, code review process, design. Pretty well attended (10-15 people). Most of the contributions comes from Atmire at the moment, with great participation of other service providers and community members. Weekly meetings.

The other WG is the DSpace 7 Entities WG. It's a sort of a spin off WG focusing on the entities features. Basically the idea is to have items that you can manage besides publications. Lots of interest at OR about this. Weekly meeting, slightly smaller group (around 5-10 people).

The main question I get lately is: When is DSpace 7 coming out? We don’t have a date. The DSpace 7 WG is working on an estimation spreadsheet which will be ready soon.
Based on that estimation we can work on our resources and have a better understanding on when DSpace 7 will be available. It could be the end of 2019, later or before.

Susanna: do you think there’s anything we can take out of DSpace 7 to speed the process up a bit? Last year there was a problem with the estimation, particularly related to entities. Could we postpone something to DSpace 8? I know there are institutions trying to plan their own projects based on DSpace 7 and it's getting hard for them due to the moving release date.

Tim: That is one of the reasons we're working on the estimation spreadsheet, which will give us the opportunity to check whether there’s something to drop or not and to prioritize.
Not everything was slowed down by the entities. It was surely a big new feature, wanted by the community and that is still creating great interest. I'm not the one who should or could make this decision: I’ll gather the information for the Governance, you’ll make the decision.

Erin: we're working on the Wideband Delphi estimation method. Estimation is hard, but the process we’ve started will give us a reality check to see if we have the right resources and to redefine the scope if needed.

Susanna: after estimation, it would be helpful to bring to the LG also prioritization

Tim: it should be part of the process, but we need to take into consideration that developers have their preferences on what to work on. We should find ways to get developers more involved.


Strategic plan 2019-2021

John: the pair of these two groups makes sense: it’s about the technology and how it reflects community needs, and it's about how the community can support the development and enhancement of the technology. Timing also seems to be perfect, due to DSpace 7 release and the broader engagement of the global community.
We got direction from the Dspace Strategic Plan 2015-2018, but we could now take advantage of the merger and work with the Lyrasis leadership. They’ve done a lot related to community support program.

Tim: the strategic plan started even before 2015, with a “vision team” to survey the community and then provide the newly formed Steering Group with useful information to define the strategy and roadmap.

Erin: we can see a lot of work accomplished in the 2015-2018 plan.
We have much more formality now and we’re benefitting from the resources that Lyrasis can provide.
ITAV assessment template for example. ITAV is all about open source sustainability
I’d ask to take a program assessment based on ITAV. Gather that information to have an informed strategic planning. We should celebrate what we have accomplished. Then what we didn’t accomplish and why. 

John: do you have an idea of when the assessment could be done?

Erin: I’d ask Fedora to start first because they have a program manager, so they can go faster and be more efficient.
It is a team effort, so we need to have the staff available. The deliverable of this assessment is to gather data, it’s not a strategy document. Staff should assess and then bring it to the LG


AOB

John: the North American UG meeting will be on Sept 23-24 in Minneapolis (hosted by the University of Minnesota). The program is now ready




  • No labels