Today's Meeting Times
Friendly reminders of upcoming meetings, discussions etc
- DSpace 7 Working Group: Next meeting is Feb 29 at 15:00 UTC in DSpace Meeting Room. See wiki page for meeting details and past meeting notes.
DSpace Entities Working Group: Next meeting TBD. See wiki page for meeting details and past meeting notes.
- Video / notes from last meeting at: 2018-02-23 DSpace Entities WG Meeting Notes
- DSpace Developer Show and Tell Meetings : Next Show & Tell will be March 27 at 15:00 UTC. See agenda at Janitor and DSpace, DSpace Development on Codenvy - Mar 27, 2018 at 1500 UTC
- Video / notes from first meeting at DSpace on AWS, Janitor and DSpace - Feb 27, 2018 at 1600UTC
If you have a topic you'd like to have added to the agenda, please just add it.
(Ongoing Topic) DSpace 7 Status Updates for this week
- DSpace 7 Working Group is currently concentrating on building out search, submission, authentication and MyDSpace functionality
- DSpace 7 Dev Status spreadsheet: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/18brPF7cZy_UKyj97Ta44UJg5Z8OwJGi7PLoPJVz-g3g/edit#gid=0
- New Java Code Style Guide (enforced on "master" branch only)
(Ongoing Topic) DSpace 6.x Status Updates for this week
DSpace 6.3 Release Planning has general notes
- Currently, we are looking for individual(s) interested in leading / contributing to getting a 6.3 release out the door. Many "usual suspects" are busy with 7.x efforts.
- Some discussion that this might be plausible to do via a 1-2 week sprint, but still needs a Sprint Coordinator.
- DSpace Entities Working Group draft analysis (from RCAAP in Portugal).
- RCAAP analysis/proposal is at: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1bb83KKLi9Q29OXF59WV5KYepcPPZWtSzpQftTDAjFnk/edit
- Tim interested in more feedback on these ideas, as part of the proposal includes significant data model changes, potentially in a short period of time. (Additional developer resources may also be available to support this effort, if the effort is included as part of DSpace 7 or minimally done in parallel.)
- What is the best forum to discuss this proposal in more detail?
- How can we get Committers / interest developers "up-to-speed" enough to provide feedback here?
Tickets, Pull Requests or Email threads/discussions requiring more attention? (Please feel free to add any you wish to discuss under this topic)
- DSpace 6 performance issues with items containing a lot of bitstreams? https://groups.google.com/d/msg/dspace-tech/ZSxdm5EkT6E/iYixh3_TAAAJ
- - DS-3649Getting issue details... STATUS
These topics are ones we've touched on in the past and likely need to revisit (with other interested parties). If a topic below is of interest to you, say something and we'll promote it to an agenda topic!
- Management of database connections for DSpace going forward (7.0 and beyond). What behavior is ideal? Also see notes at DSpace Database Access
- In DSpace 5, each "Context" established a new DB connection. Context then committed or aborted the connection after it was done (based on results of that request). Context could also be shared between methods if a single transaction needed to perform actions across multiple methods.
- In DSpace 6, Hibernate manages the DB connection pool. Each thread grabs a Connection from the pool. This means two Context objects could use the same Connection (if they are in the same thread). In other words, code can no longer assume each
new Context()is treated as a new database transaction.
- Should we be making use of
SessionFactory.openSession()for READ-ONLY Contexts (or any change of Context state) to ensure we are creating a new Connection (and not simply modifying the state of an existing one)? Currently we always use
SessionFactory.getCurrentSession()in HibernateDBConnection, which doesn't guarantee a new connection: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/blob/dspace-6_x/dspace-api/src/main/java/org/dspace/core/HibernateDBConnection.java
- Should we be making use of
Help us test / code review! These are tickets needing code review/testing and flagged for a future release (ordered by release & priority)Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Updated Assignee Reporter P Status Fix Version(s)
Newly created tickets this week:Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Assignee Reporter P Status
Old, unresolved tickets with activity this week:Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Updated Assignee Reporter P Status
Tickets resolved this week:Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution
Tickets requiring review. This is the JIRA Backlog of "Received" tickets:Click here to expand...
Key Summary T Created Updated Assignee Reporter P
IRC Transcript is available at - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2018-02-28