Developers Meeting before OR13 on Mon, July 8, 2012Face-to-face developer's meeting on topic of DSpace RoadMap before OR2013 in Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island, Canada.
Who is invited?
- All Committers,
- All DSpace Community Advisory Team (DCAT) members,
- Any other interested DSpace developers or technology-savvy individuals
If you don't fall into one of the above categories, you are still welcome to attend. However, be warned that discussion will likely get very technical at times (which is why we recommend you be a developer or have a technology background).
Space is limited. Please sign up on the Sign Up sheet below. If we begin to achieve capacity, preference will be given to Committers or DCAT Members. However, we welcome any interested DSpace developers to join us and take part in the discussion!
- Day: Monday, July 8th, 2013
- Time: 1:00pm - 5:00pm
- Where: Conference Centre (Room TBA)
- Attendance Limit: Likely 30-35 people maximum
- Post-Meeting: We will likely all head to a local pub (TBD) for dinner & drinks. You are also welcome to join us there if you are unable to attend the meeting.
Format of Meeting
This meeting will be organized as a group discussion. Although at times one or more of us may lead discussion sections, it is meant to be a group discussion and not a series of presentations.
Meeting Notes will likely be taken on PiratePad: http://piratepad.net/
NOTE: The final agenda is TBD. Please add your own ideas for agenda topics below
Possible Agenda Discussion Topics
This is a list of topics which we may wish to touch upon during our meeting. This list is unordered and unranked.
Please feel free add any topics to this list that you feel would be worth discussing!
- DSpace 4.0 - Planning next steps, calls for help/support, etc.
- Empowering individuals / small teams to tackle problems & find solutions rapidly
- Came up during an IRC Mtg dicussion on 2013-04-10 (starts around [20:32])
- Want to avoid "blockages" or slowing down progress by waiting around for "widespread approval" on any proposal/idea. Instead, we want to let small groups move/develop rapidly, and trust that they will build something "good enough" (which we can later improve on if needed). These small groups would still need to communicate their work/progress back to broader developer community (to keep others in the loop / receive ongoing feedback / avoid duplicate projects), but need not wait for an "official vote" before moving forward with their work.
- Possible "quicker" workflow:
- someone raises an issue / feature idea
- several interested parties discuss it
- self-organized team presents an idea, hears objections and suggestions
- (if needed) team addresses immediate concerns and presents again
- (we hope) everybody is okay with amended proposal and work goes forward
- people talk about the work as it is progressing, and get more feedback
- finished work addresses all known issues and is voted in. If additional work is needed it may be voted in as a "beta" feature until it can be improved in future releases.
- someone raises an issue / feature idea
- DSpace 3-5 Year Vision: Discussion of output of the May meeting (in Chicago) to draft a 3-5 year high-level vision/roadmap for DSpace software. This meeting was formed out of the vision discussions that took place as part of the DuraSpace Sponsor Summit in March
- DCAT proposal to improve metadata support in DSpace (https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/DSPACE/Updating+the+Qualified+Dublin+Core+registry+in+DSpace+to+the+latest+standards+of+the+DCMI).
Sign Up to Attend!
If you're planning to attend this meeting, please add your name to the sign up sheet. This will allow us to determine a proper headcount.
Sign Up Sheet - Will Be Attending
- Tim Donohue
- Mark H. Wood
- Hardy Pottinger
- Bram Luyten
- Andrea Bollini (CINECA)
- Sarah Shreeves (UIUC)
- Ivan Masár
- Andrea Schweer (LCoNZ)
- Sarah Molloy (QMUL UK)
- Ryan Scherle (will be 30 min late?)
- Maureen Walsh (OSU)
- Sid Byrd (Rice)
- Sarah Potvin (Texas A&M)
- Michael W. Bolton (Texas A&M)
- Jonathan Markow (DuraSpace)
- Terry Brady (Georgetown University)
- Aaron Helton (United Nations)
Want To Attend / May Be Attending
- (add your name here)
Will Not Be Attending
- Valorie Hollister - arriving late, will try to join everyone at the pub
- Official meeting notes/summary/links will go here.