Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Attendees

  • Pascal-Nicolas Becker (The Library Code) 

  • Allan Bell (University of British Columbia Library) 

  • John Butler (University of Minnesota)
  • David Corbly (University of Oklahoma)

  • Lieven Droogmans (Atmire)
  • Federico Ferrario / Roberto Suardi (Cineca)

  • Scott Hanrath (University of Kansas)

  • Barbara Hirschmann (ETH Zurich) (star)
  • Jyrki Ilva (National Library of Finland)

  • Salwa Ismail (Georgetown University)
  • Inba Kehoe (University of Victoria)
  • Pierre Lasou (Université Laval)

  • Agustina Martinez Garcia (University of Cambridge)

  • Joao Mendes Moreira (Foundation of Science and Technology Portugal)

  • Susanna Mornati (4Science)

  • César Olivares (CONCYTEC)
  • Kristi Palmer (Indiana University Purdue University Indiana)

  • Kristi Park (Texas Digital Library)

  • Jordan Piščanc (University of Trieste)

  • Beate Rajski (Hamburg University of Technology)
  • Maureen Walsh (The Ohio State University Libraries)

  • Andrew Weaver (Washington State University Libraries)

  • Tim Donohue - DuraSpace 

  • Heather Greer Klein - DuraSpace
  • Michele Mennielli - DuraSpace 
  • Kristi Searle - DuraSpace
  • Erin Tripp - DuraSpace

The (star) represents who will be taking notes for a given meeting. It rotates after each meeting to the next person in the attendee list.


Dial-in

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://duraspace.zoom.us/j/9963190968  (Meeting ID: 996 319 0968)

  • Or via Telephone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): 
    • USA: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 408 638 0968 or +1 646 876 9923 
    • Australia: +61 (0) 2 8015 2088 
    • Belgium: +32 (0) 2 588 4188 
    • Brazil: +55 11 4680 6788 or +55 21 3958 7888 
    • Canada: +1 647 558 0588 
    • Czech Republic: +420 2 2888 2388
    • Finland: +358 (0) 9 4245 1488
    • France: +33 (0) 1 8288 0188 
    • Germany: +49 (0) 30 3080 6188 
    • Ireland: +353 (0) 1 691 7488
    • Italy: +39 069 480 6488 
    • Netherlands: +31 (0) 20 241 0288
    • New Zealand: +64 (0) 4 831 8959 or +64 (0) 9 801 1188 
    • Norway: +47 2396 0588
    • Portugal: +351 308 804 188 
    • Spain: +34 91 198 0188
    • United Kingdom: +44 (0) 20 3695 0088 
    • Additional international numbers available at https://duraspace.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=YzSC5pcRHDJ1so3QBrCCg3FS96Uskzw3

Agenda

#

Time

Item

Information

Who

140 minsDuraSpace-DSpace MOU
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OSblDimoYzTlebtg_krLYZnCVt8hHtqQOu7gtb4x_Dk/edit#heading=h.gjdgxsEveryone
25 minsDuraSpace SummitWho’s going to be there?; Star the conversation around topics for discussions during the sessions; reporting out; presentations etc. Michele
310 minsDSpace Github security vulnerability notifications

As of late 2018, GitHub has begun automated scanning of all third-party libraries/dependencies for known security issues. This is useful, but also results in false positives. Anyone using GitHub locally will likely have seen these.

NYU was concerned that some of these issues might affect DSpace, and asked for an analysis

Tim
45 minsWrap up and next steps
Salwa






NOTES:

1. DuraSpace-DSpace MOU

  • Welcome to Heather Greer Klein – New Project Manager
  • Later in the evening, a smaller group will meet to finalise the MoU, the LG input will be taken into consideration
  • The template of the MoU was developed for Vivo and will also be used by Fedora
  • Erin: The legal Name of DuraSpace is actually “FedoraCommons”, d/b/a means “doing business as”
  • DSpace Community vs. DSpace Project – how to call it?
    • Erin: Both have been used in other documents, term should reflect the spirit of the governance groups;
    • John: projects often have a defined endpoint, therefore the term does not cover the “enduring” character of the DSpace community
    • Ceasar: however “project” has been used more often (see definition on website)
    • John: and “project” is also used for Fedora and Vivo
    • Susanna: Project includes community and software, should we mention this somewhere?
    • ArchiveSpace: They speak about “community”, probably DuraSpace will be a community within Lyrasis
  • John notes that some details are stated for 2019 - Does this mean we look at the MoU every year? Erin: Yes. Budgeting process at Lyrasis happens every year.
  • Erin re. termination: DuraSpace is a charitable organisation. If DSpace wanted to leave, they would need to identify another NPO in US where DuraSpace could transfer assets to. This is due to articles of incorporation which a.o. state that assets cannot be transferred outside of the US. This mainly refers to trademarks and membership dollars, DSpace source code is free.
  • Lieven re. termination: 90 days are a quite short period. An extension clause would be good. Erin agrees. Ultimately agreements should be over 3-4 years, not yearly. We could add language re. extension will be granted if the new organisation is not yet incoroporated.
  • Lieven: Are there any aspects or characteristics of the project that are currently not covered by “responsibilities”?
  • Erin: We also need to add language about Lyrasis merger in the termination section. Or create a new “assignment” section. John: “Assignment” section would be more appropriate.
  • Susanna: general language about assignments is better than a direct mention to a specific event (such as the merger with Lyrasis)
  • Tim: Should we mention Heather's new role?
  • Lieven: some aspects are very specific, e.g. 90% of a DuraSpace FTE for technical coordination 
  • John: That was the background to his question above: Why is the budget in the MoU? This is very specific for a MoU
  • Erin: That’s why details are in the appendix
  • Erin to Lieven: if we want to include potential new roles, we could add change management language to cover this
  • Pascal: the MoU misses to make clear that the strategic decisions are taken by the governance of the project. Also, the responsibilities of the governance should be defined in more detail.
  • Erin: This could be covered in the Project Responsibilites section.
  • Lieven: As an example, what happens if the Governance is not happy with the person that DuraSpace assigns as a tech lead?
  • Erin: We could e.g. add that governance can provide performance evaluation assessment
  • Salwa: To put this in more general terms, the MoU should define the feedback mechanism for things we are not happy with
  • Erin: Language re. escalation process can be added
  • Erin: The MoU is really a combination of a classic MoU and some more detailed sections. It includes change management and escalation process, which would normally be part of a project plan, but since we don't have such document, it makes sense to add these topics to the MoU.

2. DuraSpace Summit

  • Please notify Michele if you will attend. So far, only John, Tim, Maureen, and Michele. 
  • Usually there is a governance meeting on the summit. Michele will circulate a google doc to identify topics we would like to talk about.
  • Possibility to join remotely might be arranged, many LG members would appreciate this.
  • Report out to the community is also required (last year, next year), Mic can put together some slides, somebody form LG needs to volunteer for presenting.

3. DSpace Github security vulnerability notifications

Call for volunteers

  • NYU have received notifications from GitHub: Github realeased a feature where they scan every project for security vulnerabilities, known issues in third party tools popped up, quick analysis showed that most are probably false positives. The feature only looks at third party vulnerabilities. Might not have impact on DSpace. E.g. real vulnerability, but without impact on DSpace. NYU is still concerned, no staff for detailed analysis currently availbale due to Dspace7 development. Volunteers to look into this welcome.
  • Some of the analysis requires developer knowledge of DSpace.
  • Lieven and Salwa and John will reach out to their teams about help

4. Wrap up and next steps

  • Salwa attended DuraSpace Board meeting and left reassured that DSpace and its internaional membership is an important topic to the Board. There will be a press release soon.
  • Jyrki: Leadership Group has now access to the meeting notes of the Steering Group, see: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/dspacesteering/DSpace+Steering+Home
  • Pascal: The program of the German DSpace Anwendertreffen has been released
  • Pascal: GDPR WG will have its first meeting on Friday
  • Tim: good summary of Dspace 7 development schedule in last months Steering Group meeting minutes: https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/dspacesteering/2019-02-20+DSpace+Steering+Group+Meeting
  • Michele: working with users groups and Google Scholar for country specific webinars re. indexing in GS: Brazil, Peru, Mexiko, Germany
  • Michele: New DuraSpace registered service provider from China
  • Pascal: DSpace and Docker webinar was recorded, webinar had 55 attendees
  • No labels