|Table of Contents|
Date & Time
- June 13th 15:00 UTC/GMT - 11:00 EDT
This call is a DCAT Discussion call: identifying if there is common ground among call attendees around a particular piece of DSpace functionality.
We will use the international conference call dial-in. Please follow directions below.
- U.S.A/Canada toll free: 866-740-1260, participant code: 2257295
- International toll free: http://www.readytalk.com/intl
- Use the above link and input 2257295 and the country you are calling from to get your country's toll-free dial in #
- Once on the call, enter participant code 2257295
Agenda: DCAT Discussion: Future of DSpace-ORCID integrations
There have been substantial developments since our last DCAT discussion on ORCID in December 2015.
One of the most significant developments is ORCID's transition to a new API, in which certain endpoints of the old API will be discontinued.
Service provider Arvo consultores has already announced a completed integration based on the ORCID v2 API http://duraspace.org/articles/3187 The model is strongy based in the authority model via external Authority database not via the SOLR core. Probably would be easy to translate, just ing out. A short video here:
Just to remember, Purtuguese peolple (UMinho, etc has made public some code for syncronization and ORCID libraries as well. https://github.com/fccn/PTCRISync/wiki/ORCID-Overview
Which common use cases do we have for ORCID-DSpace integrations?
It would be very fruitful if we could align on a set of ORCID-DSpace use cases that resonate widely within our community.
The use case: "looking up an author in ORCID and matching him/her to a string based author name on a publication" is one that is not supported by API v2 anymore and is concerned an anti-pattern: because the researchers control what they expose on their ORCID profiles, it is very common that you can not determine if you have the right person, based on the information exposed in the profile.
An in-depth discussion on this, and ways forward, would be great.
Preparing for the call
Bring your questions/comments regarding ORCID you would like to discuss to the call, or add them to the comments of this meeting page.
If you can join the call, or are willing to comment on the topics submitted via the meeting page, please add your name, institution, and repository URL to the Call Attendees section below.
Followup: face to face presentation and ORCID discussion in Geneva on June 20th
ORCID's Rob Peters and Josh Brown are kind enough to present at the DSpace user group day in Geneva on June 20th (right before the OAI conference)
The ideas, actions or questions from today's DCAT call could be used as input for that meeting.
Open Repositories 2017 preparation
Who on the call attendees is coming to the Open Repositories conference?
Shall we meet there, formally or informally? Thoughts on topics that would really benefit from face to face discussions?
Aug 22-23 North American DSpace user group meeting
List of common DSpace-ORCID use cases
- I want to make the author metadata more trustworthy in a repository with a big backlog of already archived submissions
- I want to automatically get ORCIDs for authors, for new publications, for which the ORCID may already be included in the source of the metadata (publisher, crossref, ... ?)
- PROBLEM: if you are aiming for submission right after date of acceptance, in which external sources may not yet hold metadata of the publication!
- I want to comply to a requirement of an external harvester, that needs to harvest the ORCID together with the other metadata in a format that might be specific to the harvester
- Should we target a generic solution for OAI-PMH / REST? Apart from RIOXX, do we already have specification from other parties that want to harvest the ORCIDs in such a fashion?