The Islandora Newspaper Solution Pack is a Paged Content collection that is similar to the Book solution pack, with a few key differences. Unlike a book collection, a newspaper collection is intended to represent a single publication, and each object inside that collection is intended to represent a single issue of that publication. Another level down, each object is intended to represent a page of that particular issue. The Newspaper Solution Pack is designed to make it easier to navigate between issues and pages of a single publication - closer to the nature of a newspaper or magazine - as opposed to a book, which is more commonly read page-by-page.
- Islandora Paged Content
- Islandora OCR is required to create OCR and HOCR derivatives
- Large Image Solution Pack is required to create thumbnails and other image derivatives
- OpenSeadragon - ready for review (KB) can be used to view pages
- ImageMagick is required to create PDF datastreams
- Ghostscript - Ready for Review (LJ) is required to combine PDF datastreams into one issue-wide PDF
Release Notes and Downloads
Adding a newspaper, issue and page
The Islandora Newspaper Solution Pack comes with several different content models that are intended to be ingested in a particular order:
Because you will be ingesting multiple issues of a publication that contains extremely similar MODS records, it is recommended to install the MARCXML Module so that the MARCXML record from one issue can be uploaded into other issues. Check the MARCXML Module page for more information on downloading and ingesting MARCXML files.
Creating issue derivatives
Once pages are added and sorted in an issue, you can use the 'Collection' section of the issue's 'Manage' tab to create derivatives:
- Under 'Create PDF', if Ghostscript is installed on your server, you can concatenate individual PDF page datastreams into one ordered PDF datastream that can be appended to the issue itself
- Under 'Create Images', you can update the issue's thumbnail image if the first page of the issue has changed.
When looking at an individual page, navigation options will be given above the viewing window, listed below from left to right:
- A drop-down menu to quickly select a page in the current issue
- Options to view the entire issue or the entire publication
- Links to download any created derivatives
- A link to download the original image
The Islandora Newspaper Solution Pack configuration page is accessible at http://path.to.your.site/admin/islandora/solution_pack_config/newspaper, and includes the following options:
Create Page Derivatives Locally
This section allows you to configure the Newspaper Solution Pack module to create derivative datastreams for pages. The following derivative datastreams can be set, with their accompanying dependencies:
|TN, JPEG, JP2||Large Image Solution Pack|
This section changes how Islandora handles a request in the 'View' tab of a newspaper's page object. Islandora includes out-of-the-box support for OpenSeadragon; otherwise, no viewer will be available. Check the OpenSeadragon page for more information on installing this component.
Content Models, Prescribed Datastreams and Forms
The Newspaper Solution Pack comes with the following objects in http://path.to.your.site/admin/islandora/solution_pack_config/solution_packs: