Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Meeting Notes

Meeting Recording

  1. News
    1. Welcome a returning DCAT/DGOC member!
      1. Leonie Hayes from the University of Auckland
    2. Remaining 2011 DCAT meeting dates:
      1. November 8, 2011
      2. December 13, 2011
    3. DSpace 1.8 - 1.8.0 Release Notes
      1. Thanks for participating in the testathon!
      2. October 10-19, 2011 - Final Testing / Bug Fixing
      3. October 21, 2011 - 1.8.0 Final Release
      4. DCAT collaboration on 1.8 news item
      5. Backup/Restore addon will be available shortly after 1.8 is released - can be used for DuraCloud and other backup/restore activities 
    4. DuraCloud
      1. upcoming launch of 1.1
      2. presentations at DLF and EDUCAUSE 
    5. DuraSpace 2011 Sponsorship Campaign: $328k with 58 sponsors so far, 19 of which are new for 2011
    6. Call for Proposals to Host Open Repositories Conference in 2013 and 2014 
    7. Google Summer of Code Report
    8. Other news?
      1. Iryna/eFIL.net is putting together some open access repository info to highlight during OA wk - will forward to Carol Minton Morris next wk  
      2. Events
        1. Open Access Week Oct 24-30
        2. 5th Metadata and Semantics Research Conference (MTSR 2011) in Turkey - Bram is presenting
        3. EDUCAUSE in Philadelphia 
        4. DLF in Baltimore
        5. Digital Preservation Summit in Hamburg
        6. iPres 2011 in Singapore
        7. Berlin 9 in Washington DC
  2. Update on DCAT Review
    1. Committer requested collaboration
      1. Improved metadata support 
        1. Metadata survey out
        2. Email/News item
        3. Next steps##### prioritizing the projects based on the survey results
          1. consulting w/the committters on dependencies/complexities
          2. forming some work groups for each project based on survey volunteers
        1. Results so far 
          1. decided that the survey should not be limited to just DSpace users - and that we need to add a few questions to qualify the respondent###### Do you use DSpace?###### Was the dominant reason your organization choose NOT to use DSpace because of its reliance on the Dublin Core metadata schema?
          2. reminder out next Monday and close survey next Friday Oct 21
          3. Michael and Iryna to send out to non-DSpace users
    1. Update on previously DCAT reviewed items (didn't have time to discuss 560 & 456)
      1. DS587 tombstone (Sarah):discussion forum,JIRA
        1. Jose Blanco has submitted patch for both JSPUI and XMLUI
        2. Richard Rodgers was to review and tweak the patch
        3. did not make it into 1.8
        4. current status:##### some disagreement on tombstone reasons, what metadata would be displayed - discussion came up too late (Jose's version vs. Richard's)##### still trying to get XMLUI tombstone reason for withdrawn item in to 1.8
      2. DS638 virus checking/check file format (Elin):discussion forum (https://wiki.duraspace.org/display/dsforum/DSpace+*+DS-638++check+files+on+input+for+viruses%2C+and+verify+file+format),JIRA
        1. virus checking is in 1.8
        2. file format checking is written and tested, but did not make it into 1.8
        3. current status:##### dependent on curation task work that MIT, not quite done, trying to follow same format for virus checking##### can do file format checking - but NOT at submission##### Robin will create a JIRA issue for file format checking at submission 
      3. DS749 allow for bitstream order to be changed (Jennifer):discussion forum, JIRA
        1. in 1.8, item resolved
      4. DS164 deposit interface for modifying input forms.xml (Jim): discussion forum, JIRA https://jira.duraspace.org/browse/DS-164
        1. GSoC project - do away with item-submission.xml and input-forms.xml and instead create an Admin UI that allows repo managers reorganize the submission UI
        2. GSoC student wants to continue work on project
        3. sample screenshot wiki page
        4. current status: ##### some muddling w/an adjacent GSoC project - Jim to resurrect original request and propose next steps  
      5. DS-560 XMLUI News in config dir (Bram): discussion forum, JIRA
        1. XMLUI interface is not as useful as JSPUI for news config, Bram proposed to have a more flexible front page
        2. Do we have a DCAT consensus? If so, does it still make sense to hold a community-wide discussion for both feedback and developer resource identification?
      6. DS-456 create easy upgrade scripts (Iryna): discussion forum, JIRA
        1. no developer assigned yet
        2. propose writing scripts for the most common database/operating sys
        3. Database: PostgreSQL 264, MySQL 43, Oracle 39, Other 6
        4. Operating Sys: Linux 224, Microsoft Windows 88, UNIX 28, Solaris 22, HPUX 2
        5. Michael to attach scripts to JIRA issue that they have developed
        6. hold community-wide discussion/solicitation of other upgrade scripts already written or interested parties
  1. Meeting Attendees:
    Amy Lana - University of Missouri
    Ciarán Walsh - Enovation Solutions, Ltd
    Iryna Kuchma - eIFL.net
    Jim Ottaviani - University of Michigan
    Maureen Walsh - The Ohio State University
    Michael Guthrie - BioMed Central
    Robin Taylor - University of Edinburgh
    Tim Donohue - DuraSpace
    Valorie Hollister - DuraSpace

OUR NEXT MEETING WILL BE ON NOVEMBER 8, 2011 at 9:00 am Eastern/13:00 GMT  

  • No labels