- Tuesday, April 22, 2014
- 10:00am Eastern/14:00 UTC
We will use the international conference call dial-in. Please follow directions below.
- U.S.A/Canada toll free: 866-740-1260, participant code: 2257295
- International toll free: http://www.readytalk.com/intl
- Use the above link and input 2257295 and the country you are calling from to get your country's toll-free dial in #
- Once on the call, enter participant code 2257295
Future DCAT Meetings
Mark your calendars with the next several months of DCAT mtgs - time will be 10am Eastern/14:00 UTC:
June 3 (date changed because of OR14)
- Bram Luyten (@mire) - @mire
- Elin Stangeland - University of Oslo
- Iryna Kuchma - eIFL.net
- Jim Ottaviani - University of Michigan
- Lilly Li, Texas A&M University
- Maureen Walsh - The Ohio State University
- Sarah Potvin - Texas A&M University
- Sarah Shreeves - University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- Sue Kunda - Oregon State University
- Valorie Hollister - DuraSpace
|5 min||1) News / announcements / events, etc.||Val|
2) Call for DCAT Chairperson
|20 min||3) Sponsor Summit Debrief||Val|
|10 min||4) OR14 Metadata Panel||Metadata Team|
|20 min||5) JIRA discussion||Val|
- Sponsor Summit summary blog post provides a nice summary, includes links to all the notes and slides
- New project director for the DuraSpace project VIVO: he will coordinate work, facilitate conversations about priorities, identify resources and organize communities around grant-seeking
- Metadata team mtg next Tuesday?: was supposed to be today - Val to send Doodle to reschedule; OR14 DCAT attendees: Bram, Elin, Val, possibly Sarah P-will know by Friday, Sarah S.
- from Bram/@mire: Mirage 2 should be out tomorrow!
2) Call for Chairperson
- looking for someone to help lead/facilitate DCAT, Val will continue to be involved in DCAT
- no specific deadline to identify someone
- term? a minimum of 1 year seems to make sense
- let Val know if this is something you would be willing to do or want to discuss more
3) Sponsor Summit Debrief
- about 60 sponsors from all levels, mix of roles - library directors or key decision makers at institutions
- DuraSpace and the Board of Directors provided an overview/State of the Union
- funding sources has diversified, no longer as dependent on grants
- have expanded board of directors from 6 to 11 members
- each project steering group has board representation to better represent project specific interests
- 70% increase in sponsorship support in 2013 - primarily from larger $s coming from current sponsors
- established project steering groups for all projects (Fedora, DSpace and VIVO), all at different stages - but goal is to tightly engage stakeholders by connecting fundraising to project governance
- key strategic work for 2014 is to continue to move to sustainable business model by moving to membership model (vs. sponsorship)
- which will connect project governance with membership contributions and will deepen community engagement
- goal is to bring in more members (some institutions can't become a "sponsor") and deepen commitment of current sponsors by providing members a direct say in project
- proposed project governance model: Project Governance Template Draft 3-5-2014.pdf
- DSpace Update - presented by Stuart Lewis representing the DSpace Steering Group
- current focus of Steering Group is on sustainability and governance issues as they relate to a common vision
- GitHub unlocked the code contributions - larger number of contributors and committers - 59 developers
- over 1600 institutions using DSpace - only 1/5 in North America where most sponsorship comes from - developing strategies for increasing sponsorship outside North America is a key task for the new steering group
- DSpace Vision survey to come up with unified vision
- focus on IR user case
- software should be lean and agile
- core software functions should be extendable
- should be configurable to interoperate and support digital scholarship as it evolves
- low-cost hosted solutions and deployments should be encouraged
- Other Speakers from Fedora, VIVO, DPLA, SHARE, DPN - read about in summary
- DSpace Breakout Session
- brainstormed ways to engage with users outside of North America - consortia and developing countries - need to engage them both in financial support of DSpace as well as the vision (currently working on developing a discounted membership level for developing countries)
- role for DCAT in evolving governance model - up for discussion (it seems clear that steering group members view DCAT as having a key role in the community - perhaps formalized as a "working group" under the new model)
- good governance more important than representation: current software development process is not representative – one camp wants an enterprise system, another wants an out-of-box system – need to reconcile/manage the two
- DSpace Project Manager – person who will coordinate work, address the fragmentation in code, facilitate conversations about priorities, identify resources and organize communities around grant-seeking.
- Membership - Steering group will develop membership model, should consider in-kind contributions and those users who are under-resourced
- need shared roadmap: need more than 5-6 points, explain what it means and why it matters, what resources needed and some examples
- draft a high level roadmap and get input from community and DCAT
- ideally roadmap needs to be presented at OR14 with the goal to generate buy-in, shared vision
- Activity since Summit
- Steering group has agreed to an initial membership model for 2014: ProposedMembershipandGovernance4-10-2014-1.docx
- Tim working with a group on roadmap (DSpace Technology Planning Group), includes DCAT members Maureen Walsh and Sarah Shreeves, beginning of their work is here: DSpace 2014 Product Plan
- Mtg with Steering Group and roadmap group to discuss governance and roadmap May 8-9
- Summary of comments/questions about Summit discussion
- What will DCAT's role be? Will DCAT be a working group? If so, do all DCAT members have to come from member institutions as indicated as a requirement for working groups in the docs? Val: No formal proposal/agreement on changes to DCAT current role, but it seems likely that DCAT would be considered a working group under new governance model. Can't see the DSpace Steering Group excluding anyone from working groups (Committer/contributor group, DCAT, etc) because they don't come from member institutions – in fact they want to find more ways to engage the broader community. Sarah S echoed that sense from the DSpace mtg.
- We were never notified that the Vision Group work was complete. Elin to send msg to Stuart to ask him to send a msg to Vision group - notifying them that it's work is done and a bit of info about roadmap group.
- Val to make an effort to keep DCAT more in the loop of steering group work on governance and membership – help find ways to provide DCAT feedback to steering group.
- Vision group and DCAT never got detailed survey results - Sarah to email to DCAT.
- Iryna - willing to help w/how to engage developing countries; $250 seems like very reasonable entry point for larger institutions in developing world
- Val to send Doodle to reschedule metadata mtg: http://doodle.com/udfkbipwsqc7mza4#table
- Elin to send msg to Stuart to ask him to send a msg to Vision group - notifying them that it's work is done and a bit of info about roadmap group
- Sarah to send detailed Vision survey results to DCAT
- Metadata team needs to update draft mapping
- Metadata team - need to find someone who knows about metadata in Europe to sit on OR14 panel - possibly Jessica Lindholm?
- - DS-570Getting issue details... STATUS Lilly Texas A&M has patch, will submit in the next few weeks.
- - DS-1815Getting issue details... STATUS Lilly has talked with Texas A&M developers, looking at if they can contribute
DS-1783Getting issue details...
DS-1242Getting issue details...
To be discussed at the next DCAT mtg: identify parameters - types of config changes that would be helpful - uploading input forms, changing themes, things that you can switch on/off, (not everything). DCAT look through config file for DSpace 4 and identify what would be most helpful to include. Elin will download 4.0 config file - DONE. Include discussion/question about JSPUI/XMLUI.