This Confluence wiki site, maintained by DuraSpace prior to the recent merger with LYRASIS, will transition from the duraspace.org domain to the lyrasis.org domain on Saturday, Nov 16 beginning at approximately 7pm ET. A period of downtime of 2-3 hours is expected. After the transition, this wiki will be available at https://wiki.lyrasis.org/. All links to duraspace.org wiki pages will be redirected to the correct lyrasis.org URL. If you have questions prior to or following the transition please contact: wikihelp@lyrasis.org.
Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date

  • Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Time

  • 10:00am Eastern/14:00 UTC

Dial-in

We will use the international conference call dial-in. Please follow directions below.

  • U.S.A/Canada toll free: 866-740-1260, participant code: 2257295
  • International toll free: http://www.readytalk.com/intl
    • Use the above link and input 2257295 and the country you are calling from to get your country's toll-free dial in #
    • Once on the call, enter participant code 2257295

Future DCAT Meetings

Mark your calendars with the next several months of DCAT mtgs - time will be 10am Eastern/14:00 UTC:

May 13
June 3 (date changed because of OR14)
July 8
August 12
September 9
October 14
November 11
December 9

Attendees

 

Discussion Items 

TimeItemWhoNotes
5 min1) News / announcements / events, etc.Val
  • News
5 min

2) Call for DCAT Chairperson

Val 
20 min3) Sponsor Summit DebriefVal
10 min4) OR14 Metadata PanelMetadata Team
20 min5) JIRA discussionVal
  • DS-1783 - Getting issue details... STATUS  &  DS-1242 - Getting issue details... STATUS  
    • Identify parameters, types of config changes that would be helpful - uploading input forms, changing themes, things that you can switch on/off, (not everything).
    • Look through config file for DSpace 4 and identify what would be most helpful to include. Include discussion/question about JSPUI/XMLUI.
  • Pick other items to discuss: http://bit.ly/volunteer-details-needed

 

Discussion Notes 

1) News  

  • Sponsor Summit summary blog post provides a nice summary, includes links to all the notes and slides
  • New project director for the DuraSpace project VIVO: he will coordinate work, facilitate conversations about priorities, identify resources and organize communities around grant-seeking
  • Metadata team mtg next Tuesday?: was supposed to be today - Val to send Doodle to reschedule; OR14 DCAT attendees: Bram, Elin, Val, possibly Sarah P-will know by Friday, Sarah S.
  • from Bram/@mire: Mirage 2 should be out tomorrow!

2) Call for Chairperson

  • looking for someone to help lead/facilitate DCAT,  Val will continue to be involved in DCAT
  • no specific deadline to identify someone
  • term? a minimum of 1 year seems to make sense 
  • let Val know if this is something you would be willing to do or want to discuss more 

3) Sponsor Summit Debrief

  • about 60 sponsors from all levels, mix of roles - library directors or key decision makers at institutions
  • DuraSpace and the Board of Directors provided an overview/State of the Union
    • funding sources has diversified, no longer as dependent on grants
    • have expanded board of directors from 6 to 11 members
    • each project steering group has board representation to better represent project specific interests
    • 70% increase in sponsorship support in 2013 - primarily from larger $s coming from current sponsors
    • established project steering groups for all projects (Fedora, DSpace and VIVO), all at different stages - but goal is to tightly engage stakeholders by connecting fundraising to project governance
    • key strategic work for 2014 is to continue to move to sustainable business model by moving to membership model (vs. sponsorship)
      • which will connect project governance with membership contributions and will deepen community engagement
      • goal is to bring in more members (some institutions can't become a "sponsor") and deepen commitment of current sponsors by providing members a direct say in project
  • DSpace Update - presented by Stuart Lewis representing the DSpace Steering Group
    • current focus of Steering Group is on sustainability and governance issues as they relate to a common vision
    • GitHub unlocked the code contributions - larger number of contributors and committers - 59 developers
    • over 1600 institutions using DSpace - only 1/5 in North America where most sponsorship comes from - developing strategies for increasing sponsorship outside North America is a key task for the new steering group
    • DSpace Vision survey to come up with unified vision
      • focus on IR user case
      • software should be lean and agile
      • core software functions should be extendable
      • should be configurable to interoperate and support digital scholarship as it evolves
      • low-cost hosted solutions and deployments should be encouraged
  • Other Speakers from Fedora, VIVO, DPLA, SHARE, DPN - read about in summary
  • DSpace Breakout Session
    • Governance
      • brainstormed ways to engage with users outside of North America - consortia and developing countries - need to engage them both in financial support of DSpace as well as the vision (currently working on developing a discounted membership level for developing countries)
      • role for DCAT in evolving governance model - up for discussion (it seems clear that steering group members view DCAT as having a key role in the community - perhaps formalized as a "working group" under the new model)
      • good governance more important than representation: current software development process is not representative – one camp wants an enterprise system, another wants an out-of-box system – need to reconcile/manage the two
      • DSpace Project Manager – person who will coordinate work, address the fragmentation in code, facilitate conversations about priorities, identify resources and organize communities around grant-seeking.
    • Membership - Steering group will develop membership model, should consider in-kind contributions and those users who are under-resourced
    • Roadmap
      • need shared roadmap: need more than 5-6 points, explain what it means and why it matters, what resources needed and some examples
      • draft a high level roadmap and get input from community and DCAT
      • ideally roadmap needs to be presented at OR14 with the goal to generate buy-in, shared vision
  • Activity since Summit
    • Steering group has agreed to an initial membership model for 2014: ProposedMembershipandGovernance4-10-2014-1.docx
    • Tim working with a group on roadmap (DSpace Technology Planning Group), includes DCAT members Maureen Walsh and Sarah Shreeves, beginning of their work is here: DSpace 2014 Product Plan  
    • Mtg with Steering Group and roadmap group to discuss governance and roadmap May 8-9

  • Summary of comments/questions about Summit discussion
    • What will DCAT's role be? Will DCAT be a working group? If so, do all DCAT members have to come from member institutions as indicated as a requirement for working groups in the docs? Val: No formal proposal/agreement on changes to DCAT current role, but it seems likely that DCAT would be considered a working group under new governance model. Can't see the DSpace Steering Group excluding anyone from working groups (Committer/contributor group, DCAT, etc) because they don't come from member institutions – in fact they want to find more ways to engage the broader community. Sarah S echoed that sense from the DSpace mtg.  
    • We were never notified that the Vision Group work was complete. Elin to send msg to Stuart to ask him to send a msg to Vision group - notifying them that it's work is done and a bit of info about roadmap group.
    • Val to make an effort to keep DCAT more in the loop of steering group work on governance and membership – help find ways to provide DCAT feedback to steering group. 
    • Vision group and DCAT never got detailed survey results - Sarah to email to DCAT. 
    • Iryna - willing to help w/how to engage developing countries; $250 seems like very reasonable entry point for larger institutions in developing world 

Action Items   

  • Val to send Doodle to reschedule metadata mtg: http://doodle.com/udfkbipwsqc7mza4#table
  • Elin to send msg to Stuart to ask him to send a msg to Vision group - notifying them that it's work is done and a bit of info about roadmap group
  • Sarah to send detailed Vision survey results to DCAT
  • Metadata team needs to update draft mapping
  • Metadata team - need to find someone who knows about metadata in Europe to sit on OR14 panel - possibly Jessica Lindholm?
  • DS-570 - Getting issue details... STATUS Lilly Texas A&M has patch, will submit in the next few weeks.
  • DS-1815 - Getting issue details... STATUS Lilly has talked with Texas A&M developers, looking at if they can contribute
  • DS-1783 - Getting issue details... STATUS  &  DS-1242 - Getting issue details... STATUS  To be discussed at the next DCAT mtg: identify parameters - types of config changes that would be helpful - uploading input forms, changing themes, things that you can switch on/off, (not everything). DCAT look through config file for DSpace 4 and identify what would be most helpful to include. Elin will download 4.0 config file - DONE. Include discussion/question about JSPUI/XMLUI.