Monday March 15, 2021, 10 AM US Eastern Time
See #ontology in vivo-slack for link. To join vivo-slack, go to http://bit.ly/vivo-slack
Ontology Interest Group Google Folder https://drive.google.com/drive/u/0/folders/1RGBh4fDZdzpJdwyiUMO8OPWwkcmVYrI0
Google Doc for meeting notes: https://bit.ly/3unslCV
VIVO Ontologies on Github: https://github/vivo-ontolgy
- Work in Progress
- Next meeting: April 19
- Work in progress. No updates (see below for updates regarding documentation options for ontologies).
- Workshop for teaching? Would it be possible to have a workshop on line or at the conference regarding the representation of teaching and learning. It’s a big topic.
- Survey for resource types?
- Could we survey the community about their needs and interests in resource types?
- DataCite recently updated its metadata schema https://schema.datacite.org/ More resource types added, more resource types will be added.
- Documentation. Mike showed ReadTheDocs being used for documenting the Organization Ontology. Uses a simple Markup language, RestructuredText, developed by the python community, but now used by millions of developers. Addresses the following shortcomings of Confluence: Github based version control, all done with markup language, automated production of pages possible, supports footnotes, sidebars, citations. Search is focused on the documentation, not global across a large wiki as in Confluence. Brian shared http://dgarijo.github.io/Widoco/doc/gallery/ for ontology documentation, which automates the production of pages from OWL files.
- The group discussed the need to represent locations in the VIVO ontologies -- as in “this event was held in Paris” or “The University of Florida is in Gainesville.” What is a location in BFO? In GAZ? How do we represent latitude/longitude?
- Mike is on the ROR curation group. He can ask about plans for location data.
- Wikidata has lat/long data. Associating an entity with a Qnumber would allow harvesting. https://www.wikidata.org/wiki/Q501758 is the Wikidata entry for the University of Florida, a well-curated record.