Cache of Full Download
The application takes a full download of the authoritative data and stores it in a local cache. Access to the authoritative data is made through the cache.
Options for update:
- Re-download and cache the entire set of authoritative data. This does not identify what has changed.
- Incremental downloads and update of the cache of just the data that has changed.
Cache of Labels in an Application
When the application makes a connection to authoritative data, the label is cached along with the URI to allow for quick display of the label in the UI.
Options for update:
- Periodic query of the authoritative data source to determine if the label has changed.
- Watch an incremental feed of changes to the data and update the cached data for any that are cached in the application.
- How to handle outliers that do not fit the expected types of changes?
- How to handle a change that no longer applies? Ex. When MeSH changes, even if the labels are similar, the old label is deprecated (gone) and a replacement label is created. In the past, identifiers were reused, which complicates the process.
On the provider side:
Entire Authoritative record in MARC records
- caching label and URIs in MARC records; want to keep up to date and in sync; caching entire authority record in sync
Receiving data on New Entities and Deleted Entities
Cache of data in Sinopia; What happens with conversions from BibFrame to MARC and vice versa.
- Data sync questions
- Heading toward data in triples instead of MARC
- Data integrity and data consistency
- creating data locally until it can be included in the authoritative data
- in some cases, this is necessary
- taking structured data from institutions and converting to RDF
- creating URIs for manuscripts; want to link to other authoritative data when possible
- many are trying to move away from this
- What makes data authoritative?
- When would the data be considered authoritative?
- When is it considered local?
- Would it become authoritative data if an entity moves from local use to a shared location like ShareVDE?
- When additional local data is added to existing authoritative data and collected in a way that adds meaning, is this authoritative data?
- Any work done outside of upstream, there needs to be agreement on what this means and how it will be applied upstream.