From Last Meeting
- Add vs. Create, Remove vs. Delete
- Object Types - how to represent real world objects vs. authoritative metadata
- Notifications vs. Cache updates - what do we recommend?
- Activity Streams - Extensions for Authoritative Data Change Management (min extensions + instruments)
- Examples of potential new object types in Activity Streams
Recording: Action Types, Object Types, and Patch Documents (2021-11-08)
Add vs. Create and Remove vs. Delete
Add - "Indicates that the
actor has added the
object to the
target. If the
target property is not explicitly specified, the target would need to be determined implicitly by context. The
origin can be used to identify the context from which the
- presumes pre-existence and affiliating it with a new target (e.g. same term in a new repo)
- what is the target? the authority
- what is the object? the authority record
- probably want to include a terminology section that includes these types of definitions.
Create - "Indicates that the
actor has created the
- assumes creation of something new with a new URI
Remove vs. Delete is similar.
Probably want to include all of these in the context and give examples of when you would want to use Add vs. Create
Scenario - A term is no longer used and gets replaced by a newer term.
- seems like Deprecation + Create would be the best approach
- problem is that some users still use the deprecated term
- there will be a URI for the deprecated and a URI for the create
- some headings leave LCSH and go to LCNAF - gets a new LCNAF URI, deprecate the LCSH
Notifications vs. Partial Cache vs. Cache updates - what do we recommend for rdf_patch document usage for each?
- no need for rdf_patch; just need URI and go look at the document if more info is needed
- Partial cache
- rdf_patch on each activity
- partial can be defined as only some entities OR only some data about each entity OR both
- provider doesn't want to be the one that filters data down for consumers
- might be nice if provider can filter by activity type (e.g. only see ADD, or LabelChange)
- Full Cache
- rdf_patch for each activity vs. rdf_patch for a page of activities vs. full reload of entire cache
- small authorities is fine for full reload
- large authorities, better to process partial updates
Trivial cases <s><p><o>
Reification <p><p'><o> # can be used for provenance of the assertion of <s><p><o> (e.g. who, when, etc.)
- Notification to a single institution when a requested entity that was missing becomes available. This will likely be outside the main change management stream.
- Value of diagraming to express changes as a means of conveying information around where data is being produced, where it goes, etc.
- Partial splits and partial merges.