The Islandora Newspaper Solution Pack provides a content model that assembles Paged Content into newspaper issues, which are then assembled into newspaper objects. A newspaper object corresponds to a specific newspaper publication, such as the Daily Planet, and contains one or more issues, each of which contain one or more pages. The Newspaper Solution Pack is designed to make it easier to navigate between issues and pages of a single publication - closer to the nature of a newspaper or magazine - as opposed to a book, which is more commonly read page-by-page. The newspaper object can be a member of one or more Islandora collections (for example, "Fictional Newspapers").
Release Notes and Downloads
Adding a Newspaper, Issue and Page
The Islandora Newspaper Solution Pack comes with three content models, corresponding to the newspaper publication, an issue of that publication, and the pages within an issue. They must be ingested in a particular order:
- First a Newspaper Object is created that represents the publication, such as The Daily Planet. This has the Islandora Newspaper Content Model. To create a Newspaper Object, add an object to a collection where Islandora Newspaper Content Model is allowed by the collection policy.
- Within an existing Newspaper object, one or more Issue Objects can be created. An Issue Object represents a single issuance, for example The Daily Planet - June 21, 1955. Issue objects have the Islandora newspaper issue content model. To create an Issue Object, use the Manage tab on a Newspaper object, and select "Add Issue". To create many issues simultaneously, consider the Islandora Newspaper Batch module.
- Issue Objects contain Newspaper Pages, which have the Islandora newspaper page content model. To create Page Objects:
- while creating an Issue Object, you have an opportunity to upload a (multi-page) PDF representing the entire issue, and it will be automatically split up into individual pages.
- Manage an existing Issue Object and select "Add Page" to create an individual page.
- Manage an existing Issue Object, and from the "Issue" menu, select "Add Zipped Pages" to create multiple pages from a zipped directory of page images.
- Use the Islandora Newspaper Batch module, which can automate the process for multiple issues and pages.
Because you will be ingesting multiple issues of a publication that contains extremely similar MODS records, it is recommended to install the MARCXML Module so that the MARCXML record from one issue can be uploaded into other issues. Check the MARCXML Module page for more information on downloading and ingesting MARCXML files.
Creating issue derivatives
Once pages are added and sorted in an issue, you can use the 'Issue' section of the issue's 'Manage' tab to create derivatives:
- Under 'Create PDF', if Ghostscript is installed on your server, you can concatenate individual PDF page datastreams into one ordered PDF datastream that can be appended to the issue itself
- Under 'Create Images', you can update the issue's thumbnail image if the first page of the issue has changed.
When looking at an individual page, navigation options will be given above the viewing window, listed below from left to right:
- A drop-down menu to quickly select a page in the current issue
- Options to view the entire issue or the entire publication
- Links to download any created derivatives
- A link to download the original image
The Islandora Newspaper Solution Pack configuration page is accessible at http://path.to.your.site/admin/islandora/solution_pack_config/newspaper, and includes the following options:
Create Page Derivatives Locally
This section allows you to configure the Newspaper Solution Pack module to create derivative datastreams for pages. The following derivative datastreams can be set, with their accompanying dependencies:
|TN, JPEG, JP2||Large Image Solution Pack|
This section changes how Islandora handles a request in the 'View' tab of a newspaper's page object. Islandora includes out-of-the-box support for OpenSeadragon; otherwise, no viewer will be available. Check the OpenSeadragon page for more information on installing this component.
Content Models, Prescribed Datastreams and Forms
The Newspaper Solution Pack comes with the following objects in http://path.to.your.site/admin/islandora/solution_pack_config/solution_packs:
- Content Models
- Islandora newspaper content model (islandora:newspaperCModel)
- Islandora newspaper issue content model (islandora:newspaperIssueCModel)
- Islandora newspaper page content model (islandora:newspaperPageCModel)
- Default Collection Object
- Newspaper collection (islandora:newspaper_collection)
A newspaper issue ingested with all derivative creation options checked will have the following datastreams:
Default Fedora relationship metadata
|MODS||MODS metadata form|
Dublin Core record
|PDF||Concatenated PDF of existing newspaper page images compiled with Ghostscript|
Look at Islandora Paged Content for information on an individual page's datastreams.
The Newspaper Solution Pack comes with a MODS form that can be used to describe the Newspaper object and another form that can be used to describe Issue objects. Both of these forms are considered suggestions and users will want to review and update based on their own requirements.
Solution Pack Demonstration Video