The Audio Solution Pack adds the ability to create audio collections, by uploading WAV and MP3 files as objects. These files can then be downloaded by users, or the relevant player ( Islandora JWPlayer or Islandora Video.js) can be installed to allow for playing of the file in the View tab. On ingest, the module can also use an installation of the LAME audio encoder to create derivative audio files.
Release Notes and Downloads
The Audio Solution Pack configuration options can be accessed at http://path.to.your.site/admin/islandora/solution_pack_config/audio and includes the following options:
A set of options exist for configuring derivatives for audio objects.
- Defer (do not create) derivatives for audio objects during ingest. You may find this useful if derivatives are being created by an external service, or if they are not required. This is specific to audio objects, but if derivatives are deferred for all Islandora objects (an option under admin/islandora/configure) then audio derivatives will not be created regardless of how this option is set.
Path to LAME: Upon installing the LAME Audio Codec, an executable is created on your server. The Audio Solution Pack module requires the path to this executable to run. On Linux-based servers, this path can often be found by running:
- MP3 derivative quality can be configured if high-quality (or low-size) derivatives are desired. Note that numbers closer to 0 will result in larger, higher-quality audio files.
- Use original file as fallback will allow the OBJ to be played in a player if a derivative cannot be found, and the original file is a format that can be played. This, in conjunction with defering audio derivatives, may save space in the repository and improve playback quality if, for example, you are ingesting a collection of MP3 files.
By default, the Audio Solution Pack is unable to play any audio files directly in the browser; users must install Islandora JWPlayer or Islandora Video.js to play files.
Content Models, Prescribed Datastreams and Forms
The Audio Solution Pack comes with the following objects in http://path.to.your.site/admin/islandora/solution_packs:
- Islandora Audio Content Model (islandora:sp-audioCModel)
- Audio Collection (islandora:audio_collection)
An audio file ingested using the Audio Solution Pack's content model and LAME will have the following datastreams:
Default Fedora relationship metadata
Descriptive MODS metadata record filled out during ingest
Descriptive Dublin Core metadata record
Original audio file uploaded
|TN||Default thumbnail icon for audio objects|
|TECHMD||Technical FITS metadata record filled out during ingest|
|PROXY_MP3||MP3 derivative created by the LAME encoder|
The Audio Solution Pack comes with the Audio MODS form.