The Islandora Paged Content module is shared by the Book Solution Pack and Newspaper Solution Pack modules to provide numbered, individual pages as objects within each type of collection. It takes files in TIFF format, and is able to create several kinds of derivatives depending on the type of collection they are being ingested into. Solution Packs that use the Paged Content module are referred to below as 'Paged Content collections'.
Release Notes and Downloads
Adding a collection that uses the Paged Content module (currently the Book and Newspaper Solution Pack are provided as out-of-the-box modules that function with it) adds a new button to the end of the 'Manage' tab - 'Book', for the Book Solution Pack, and 'Newspaper' for the Newspaper Solution Pack, for example. It also adds a 'Page' button to the 'Manage' tab of any page objects added to a Paged Content collection. Clicking on this button will bring up several options, depending on what components of the module are selected and enabled:
- Add Page - This brings up a page that uses the TIFF uploader form in conjunction with Tesseract to allow you to choose the file and language of your page, and add it to the parent Paged Content collection.
- Create PDF - This section includes the ability to create either a single page PDF if selected from a single page's 'Manage' tab, or a PDF of an entire Paged Content collection if selected from the collection's 'Manage' tab. The resolution of the image can also be set here. Creating a PDF will overwrite any existing PDF datastream.
- Perform OCR - This section includes the ability to create OCR datastreams for a single page if selected from that page's 'Manage' tab, or OCR datastreams for an entire Paged Content collection if selected if selected from the collection's 'Manage' tab. If multiple languages are installed into Tesseract, the option to switch between them will also be given here. Creating new OCR datastreams will overwrite any existing ones.
- Create Images - This section adds the option to create image derivatives if the Large Image Solution Pack is installed. Any existing image derivatives will be overwritten if this is used. If this option is selected from a Paged Content collection, the option will be given to create a thumbnail image for the collection from the first ordered page, updating and overwriting any existing thumbnail.
- Reorder Pages - This section allows a user to re-order the pages in a Paged Content collection if they are not in their correct place.
- Delete Pages - This section allows a user to remove pages from a Paged Content collection.
Very few configuration options exist for the paged content module out-of-the-box; most of the configuration should occur with the solution pack the pages are being ingested into. However, a configuration page does exist at http://path.to.your.site/admin/islandora/paged_content, and includes the following options:
PDF Derivative Settings
The Paged Content module requires the Ghostscript executable to be installed on your server, and the path to the executable to be entered here, on the configuration page, in order for multi-page PDFs to be compiled using each page in the book or newspaper. More information about installing Ghostscript on your server can be found at the official website, http://www.ghostscript.com/.
Content Models, Prescribed Datastreams and Forms
The Paged Content Solution Pack comes with the following objects in http://path.to.your.site/admin/islandora/solution_packs:
- Islandora Page Content Model (islandora:pageCModel)
An image ingested into a Paged Content collection using ImageMagick, the Large Image Solution Pack and the Islandora OCR modules, will have the following datastreams:
Original TIFF file uploaded
Dublin Core record
PDF derivative created by Ghostscript
JPEG 2000 derivative created by ImageMagick
|JPG||Smaller JPEG derivative created by ImageMagick|
|TN||Thumbnail icon created from the image during the ingest process|
|RELS-INT||Internal Fedora relationship metadata defining the dimensions of the JP2 datastream|
|OCR||The raw output from Tesseract|
|HOCR||A converted version of the OCR datastream, intended to be more human-readable|
|RELS-EXT||Default Fedora relationship metadata|
The Paged Content Solution Pack does not come with any forms.