Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Meeting information

Date and Time: 19 November 2020, 8-10PM (UTC)

Meeting link: See Outlook invitation

Attendees

  • Laurie Arp
  • Pascal Becker
  • Allan Bell
  • Kirsty Lingstadt
  • Kristi Park (meeting facilitator)


ItemDescription & ActionsResources
ITEM #1: Follow-up on Leadership Meeting

Leadership approved the proposed changes on November 11.

Question: Where do we store policy documents? How/where should we update language in the wiki/on the website?

Discussion: Document procedure for calling Emergency Meeting following report-out from Steering?

Discussion: Address concerns expressed about (1) disengagement from Leaders if meetings are held quarterly and (2) challenge of engaging new Leaders. Should these be addressed further? If so, how?


Inventory of DSpace governance documentation:

ITEM #2: DSpace-LYRASIS MOU

Work Plan reminder

    • November meeting: Review MOU and a proposed revision. If necessary, assign 1-2 group members to draft additional revisions.
    • December meeting: Discuss and approve revised MOU.
    • Present to Leadership in January.

Background of MOU development

  • First MOU developed by Leadership subcommittee and signed June 2019
  • Revised MOU signed August 2020 with minor changes regarding LYRASIS seat on governance and inclusion of indirect cost rate.
    • Summary of changes:

      • Changed DSpace Project to DSpace Program
      • Advanced notice of termination changed from 180 days to 90 days
      • Put overhead rate in agreement
      • Added language about voting seat for LYRASIS
      • Other minor changes


  • Currently MOU must be approved and signed yearly.

Considerations

  • Could we develop an MOU with a longer term (3 years?)
  • What level of detail should the MOU include?
  • Inclusion of multiple IDC rates (primary and contract labor)
  • Processes for amendment and review of the MOU
  • Termination processes - big differences between current and "alternative" MOU.

Current DSpace-LYRASIS MOU (2020-21)

Alternative MOU draft for discussion purposes

ITEM #3: Next steps
  • MOU revisions (November/December)
  • Two meetings in Spring 2021 to tackle additional recommendations
    • Review and discuss governance orientation documents, make recommendations. Assign revisions to 1-2 group members.
    • Review and approve orientation documents.
    • Present to Leadership by June.
  • Other tasks:
    • Review eligibility and process for appointment of leaders from membership  

AOB

Follow-up on Leadership Meeting

Governance Information

Governance information is in a variety of places on the wiki and we need to consolidate and better link and describe the roles of our governance groups see https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSPACE/Project+Governance).  In the interest of transparency and visibility we would like to share publicly as much as possible, including the MOU, while recognizing that there is a need for some information that can’t be publicly shared, such as indirect cost rates.  Further the Steering Committee area is only available to Leaders and Steering (see https://wiki.lyrasis.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=134873089)

Mich and Pascal have written an article describing the history of governance

Becker, Pascal-Nicolas; Mennielli, Michele; Trachte, Katharina. 2020. "Stewarding National User Groups to Strengthen Open Source Software Communities." Publications 8, no. 2: 31. (https://doi.org/10.3390/publications8020031)

Process to call an emergency meeting

  • Steering will release notes and share decisions within two days of their meeting.
  • Any leader can call for an emergency meeting within one week by directing their concerns to the Chair and the Vice Chair of the Leadership Group with a clear summary of their concerns and questions.
  • The Chair and Vice Chair will then coordinate a meeting with the rest of the Leadership group
  • The length of the meeting will be established by the Chair and/or Vice Chair and the Leader raising the concern.
  • The quorum to make decisions is 50% of membership and any member that can’t attend can vote by email.  
  • The Chair and Vice Chair share the results of the emergency meeting with the Steering Group and if Steering is okay, the results of the meeting can be shared.

Other clarifications from the Leadership Meeting

  • The Chair of Leadership must be part of the Steering Committee.
  • Vice Chair who is not a member of Steering may attend, but would not have voting rights.
  • If a Steering group member is not on Leadership they would be able to attend without voting rights.
  • If and individual is on both Leadership and Steering they only have one vote

We tabled the discussion of possible disengagement with a quarterly meeting, but have some excellent ideas from Kirsty about making sure Leaders (esp new Leaders) are engaged:

  • Get new Leaders quickly engaged in working groups 
  • Session on working groups and what they are (in addition to introduction/orientation for new leaders)
  •  'buddy' system where a new leader is connected to a more experienced leader. The idea here is around relationship building and also introducing processes etc to the new member and providing them with a colleague they can ask questions etc of on a one-to-one basis. So, the commitment might be intro email, follow up email after introductory sessions and also a one-to-one session after the first few meetings to provide support, answer queries etc. So it's fairly light touch commitment a couple of hours plus email support if there are queries.

DSpace-LYRASIS MOU

Allan and Laurie will get together to discuss a new draft of the MOU creating a track changes version starting with the existing MOU.  We hope to get something for review before our next meeting on December 14.


  • No labels