Date and Time: 19 November 2020, 8-10PM (UTC)
Meeting link: See Outlook invitation
- Laurie Arp
- Pascal Becker
- Allan Bell
- Kirsty Lingstadt
- Kristi Park (meeting facilitator)
|Item||Description & Actions||Resources|
|ITEM #1: Follow-up on Leadership Meeting|
Leadership approved the proposed changes on November 11.
Question: Where do we store policy documents? How/where should we update language in the wiki/on the website?
Discussion: Document procedure for calling Emergency Meeting following report-out from Steering?
Discussion: Address concerns expressed about (1) disengagement from Leaders if meetings are held quarterly and (2) challenge of engaging new Leaders. Should these be addressed further? If so, how?
Inventory of DSpace governance documentation:
|ITEM #2: DSpace-LYRASIS MOU|
Work Plan reminder
Background of MOU development
Current DSpace-LYRASIS MOU (2020-21)
Alternative MOU draft for discussion purposes
|ITEM #3: Next steps|
Follow-up on Leadership Meeting
Governance information is in a variety of places on the wiki and we need to consolidate and better link and describe the roles of our governance groups see https://wiki.lyrasis.org/display/DSPACE/Project+Governance). In the interest of transparency and visibility we would like to share publicly as much as possible, including the MOU, while recognizing that there is a need for some information that can’t be publicly shared, such as indirect cost rates. Further the Steering Committee area is only available to Leaders and Steering (see https://wiki.lyrasis.org/pages/viewpage.action?pageId=134873089)
Mich and Pascal have written an article describing the history of governance
Becker, Pascal-Nicolas; Mennielli, Michele; Trachte, Katharina. 2020. "Stewarding National User Groups to Strengthen Open Source Software Communities." Publications 8, no. 2: 31. (https://doi.org/10.3390/publications8020031)
Process to call an emergency meeting
- Steering will release notes and share decisions within two days of their meeting.
- Any leader can call for an emergency meeting within one week by directing their concerns to the Chair and the Vice Chair of the Leadership Group with a clear summary of their concerns and questions.
- The Chair and Vice Chair will then coordinate a meeting with the rest of the Leadership group
- The length of the meeting will be established by the Chair and/or Vice Chair and the Leader raising the concern.
- The quorum to make decisions is 50% of membership and any member that can’t attend can vote by email.
- The Chair and Vice Chair share the results of the emergency meeting with the Steering Group and if Steering is okay, the results of the meeting can be shared.
Other clarifications from the Leadership Meeting
- The Chair of Leadership must be part of the Steering Committee.
- Vice Chair who is not a member of Steering may attend, but would not have voting rights.
- If a Steering group member is not on Leadership they would be able to attend without voting rights.
- If and individual is on both Leadership and Steering they only have one vote
We tabled the discussion of possible disengagement with a quarterly meeting, but have some excellent ideas from Kirsty about making sure Leaders (esp new Leaders) are engaged:
- Get new Leaders quickly engaged in working groups
- Session on working groups and what they are (in addition to introduction/orientation for new leaders)
- 'buddy' system where a new leader is connected to a more experienced leader. The idea here is around relationship building and also introducing processes etc to the new member and providing them with a colleague they can ask questions etc of on a one-to-one basis. So, the commitment might be intro email, follow up email after introductory sessions and also a one-to-one session after the first few meetings to provide support, answer queries etc. So it's fairly light touch commitment a couple of hours plus email support if there are queries.
Allan and Laurie will get together to discuss a new draft of the MOU creating a track changes version starting with the existing MOU. We hope to get something for review before our next meeting on December 14.