Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Developers Meeting on Weds, May 16, 2012

Agenda

Regular Items

Quick Notes

  • Reminder: The (Face-to-Face) DSpace Developers Meeting at OR12 in Edinburgh will more than likely be on Monday, July 9.
  • New DSpace Developer Office Hours : Every Weds from 17:00 UTC - 20:00 UTC in #duraspace (just before this meeting)
  • GitHub + JIRA Connections: This week, Tim properly configured JIRA to connect to GitHub (previously it wasn't configured right). So, JIRA should now find related GitHub Commits/Pull Requests as long as the JIRA ticket number is entered in the comments.

Discussion Topics

  1. 3.0 Release Planning
    • Main Points/Summary from last week's 3.0 Planning Meeting
      1. There are some concerns about the long-term 'viability' of Cocoon (which XMLUI is based on). It has served us well, but it doesn't seem to be as supported as it once was. This makes us all wonder if it's time to encourage new UI development or if we want to take a more active role in Cocoon's future. (NOTE: Currently nothing specific is in the works, though we do have several recent UI projects in: WebMVC and SkylightUI.)
      2. Sounds like most of us prefer the "gradual evolution" model that we've had with DSpace, as it lets us stick to our release schedules easier. So, 3.0 should be a gradual evolution from 1.8, just like 1.8 was a gradual evolution from 1.7.
        • That being said, we can and should make DB changes or API changes as needed to support that evolution
      3. Sounds like none of us are against others starting to do re-architecture work with DSpace. However, there are obviously concerns that the work needs to be done openly so that we get buy-in from all. This work could happen parallel to 3.0.
      4. We still need more discussions on what exactly will be in 3.0.

Additional Ongoing Topics

  1. Brainstorming Features/Changes for 3.0. Can we work towards development teams around any of these projects?

Individual Status Updates

If you have status items to report, please enter them below at least 1 hour before the meeting starts.

Meeting Notes

JIRA Review, outcomes/summary of 3.0 Planning Mtg, Cocoon concerns, possible 3.0 features, brainstorms around supporting more metadata schemas / metadata stored as bitstreams, Fedora Inside

Meeting Transcript

Action Items

Action items coming out of this meeting go here, if any.

  • No labels