- SPECIAL TOPIC MEETING: DSpace 2.0 RoadMap Proposal
- Please see Proposed RoadMap to 2.0 for proposal details
- We will use this meeting to discuss this general proposal, especially how it pertains to upcoming 1.8.0
- As necessary, we can also discuss 1.7.1 upcoming release
- DAYLIGHT SAVINGS REMINDER FOR THOSE IN USA : Daylight Savings time began last weekend, which means this meeting is now one hour LATER. See the world clock to determine what 20:00 UTC corresponds to where you live.
Discussion of Proposed RoadMap to 2.0
- Some concerns expressed:
- "If the goal is a DSpace w/Fedora inside, then let's look at what that requires." Some suggestions that we need to learn more about what DSpace w/Fedora Inside means before we can move towards it in a logical fashion.
- "There are more trade-offs, and built-up legacy revolving around developing those features than is acknowledged"
- Need to step back and look at our priorities:
- Overarching Goals expressed at top of Proposed RoadMap to 2.0 seem to have some common agreement.
- Goal to allow for DSpace w/Fedora Inside as an option (may not be required)
- Still concerns over whether that has stronger architectural requirements that would require us to entirely rebuild DSpace architecture
- Goal to allow for "Third party, non-Java user interface (i.e. php-UI)" (communicates via REST API, SOLR/Discovery, or similar)
- Much more discussion necessary! We barely touched the surface
- Schedule a meeting in future to go over Modularization / Refactoring projects?
- Also more discussion at OR11 Developers Meeting and other future meetings
- Full IRC Transcript is available at - http://irclogs.duraspace.org/index.php?date=2011-03-16