Contribute to the DSpace Development Fund

The newly established DSpace Development Fund supports the development of new features prioritized by DSpace Governance. For a list of planned features see the fund wiki page.

Developers Meeting on Thurs, July 13, 2023


 from 14:00-15:00 UTC

Location: (Meeting ID: 502 527 3040).  Passcode: dspace

Tim is out of the office from July 8-12.  Will return to the office on July 13 in time for this meeting.


  • Discussion Topics If you have a topic you'd like to have added to the agenda, please just add it. 
    1. (30 mins) COAR Notify :
      1. Development proposal page: Implementation of the COAR Notify protocol in DSpace 8
    2. 7.6.x release topics - bug-fixes only.   
      1. Documented decision from last week about requiring 2 PRs for bug fixes.  See "Goals for 7.6.1" section below.
    3. 8.0 release topics
      1. Any topics to discuss?
    4. Upcoming topic: DSpace Preservation Storage via OCFL (proposal from Lyrasis for post-8.0).  Possible discussion on July 27? 
    5. Demo Site migration to Lyrasis ( and  
      1. Tim will work with Lyrasis to make this happen as soon as reasonably possible now that 7.6 is released.
      2. Demo site will be renamed back to "" (instead of ""). and will redirect to
      3. Old 6.x demo site:  Will keep it around temporarily at ""... likely only for 6-12 months though.
    6. Begin enforcing style in JSON5 (i18n) files:
      1. We should have a strict style enforced here, so that our tooling and tests behave the same as our other code
      2. Reduces arbitrary errors caused by pull requests and will help users who perform local modifications to these files (merging custom i18n strings in a local fork is messy due to wild changes in whitespace, commas, and quoting)
    7. (Other topics?)
  • Board Review & assignments:
    • Backlog Board - Are there any tickets here stuck in the "Triage" column?  We'd like to keep this column as small as possible.
    • 7.6.1 Project Board - Assign new PRs to volunteers to code review and/or test.
    • 8.0 Project Board - Assign new PRs to volunteers to code review and/or test.


Upcoming Topics

If you have a topic for a future meeting, please add it here.

Current Work

Project Boards

To quickly find PRs assigned to you for review, visit  (This is also available in the GitHub header under "Pull Requests → Review Requests")

Goals for 8.0

This were decided by Steering in their meeting on June 28, 2023.

  1. Move forward major features which missed 7.x. 
    1. COAR Notify support (4Science & Harvard)
    2. OpenAIRE integration with notification broker/claim service (4Science)
    3. Porting "REST-Based Quality Control Reports" from old REST API to new one. (U of Laval, Canada)
    4. Duplicate Detection in Submission ported from DSpace-CRIS (The Library Code)
  2. Include new features which empower users in the admin UI.  Make things easier for Admins.
  3. Improve documentation, training to allow for greater community contributions.  (Ease setup/install/customization, etc.)
    1. Per DSpace 7 WG meeting on June 29, 2023, this may include dependency upgrades/maintenance (Angular, Spring, Solr, Tomcat, etc).  May also include necessary code updates/refactors to ease in ongoing maintenance. 
  4. Release Goal: April 2023
  5. In parallel to 8.0, proof of concepts / planning regarding modularization (e.g. 4Science angular proposal) and OCFL/preservation storage (Lyrasis proposal to be discussed in more detail).

Goals for 7.6.1

  • Bug/security fixes only.  Release will occur when sufficient fixes have been made to warrant a release.
  • Fixes should have two Pull Requests (exceptions may be made for very small fixes)
    1. A PR against the "dspace-7_x" maintenance branch to apply to the next 7.6.x release.
    2. A PR against the "main" branch to fix this same bug for the 8.0 release.
    3. (NOTE: Once one PR is reviewed & approved, the other will be merged at the same time.)