Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata


 from 14:00-15:00 UTC

Location: (Meeting ID: 502 527 3040).


  • (15 mins) Developer Stand Up - Developers give brief updates on their effort (or their team's effort).

    • Update/see "Current Work" section below based on your status. Please feel free to update prior to meeting.
    • Please highlight any new work (needing reviews/testing), any blockers (for you), and any discussion topics you may have.
  • (30 mins) General Discussion Topics
    1. Preview 1 Release Status (Goal is end of April). Where do we sit?
    2. OR2019 Planning
      1. Preview 2 Release at end of May.  Which features should fit in that release?
        1. Theming/Branding strategy, One Webapp refactor, Solr upgrade process.
    3. Improved Estimation Strategy for Beta release. (Estimates should include time for discussion / code reviews, also should be done by multiple developers)
      1. Development Planning Spreadsheet needs to be updated, so that we can determine what (outstanding) tasks need estimation.
  • (15 mins) Planning for next week


Current Work

Legend for status icons

(blue star) = Highest Priority tasks (please prioritize these reviews/tasks over others). Currently this lists tasks/features that need to be completed for Preview Release.

(star) = Priority for OR2019 (Preview #2 Release).

(error) = review done (this week), changes were requested.

(tick) = review done, approved.

(warning) = review done, merge conflict or other minor changes requests

Tickets / PRs In Progress

  1. (Angular) Adding Accessibility via Travis CI (work in progress) (Lower priority)
  2. (REST Contract) Edit Homepage news: (Ben Bosman  - has outstanding questions/comments) (Lower priority)
  3. (REST) Updating Owning Collections: (Kevin Van de Velde (Atmire)  - changes requested. Implementation doesn't align with contract) (Timeline: Should be ready a week after the entities are merged)
  4. (REST) Item Mapper functionality:  (Kevin Van de Velde (Atmire)  - changes requested. Implementation doesn't align with contract) (Timeline: Should be ready a week after the entities are merged)

PRs Needing Review

  1. (warning) (REST Contract) Group and eperson management: (Waiting on updates from Ben Bosman )
  2. (blue star) (REST Contract) Configurable Entities (Part 1 - Architecture & Display): (Mark H. Wood - approved., Paulo Graça  - approved, Andrea Bollini (4Science) - changes requested)
  3. (blue star) (REST) Configurable Entities (Part 1 - Architecture & Display): (Tom Desair reviewed, Paulo Graça - approved, Andrea Bollini (4Science) - awaiting a second review)
  4. (blue star) (REST) Configurable Entities (Part 1 - Architecture & Display): (Andrea Bollini (4Science) , Tim Donohue )
  5. (blue star) (REST) Configurable Entities (Part 1 - Architecture & Display): (Andrea Bollini (4Science) , Tim Donohue )
  6. (REST) Refactor PatchBadRequestException to DSpaceBadRequestException and fix improper 500 response errors: (Needs updates - conflict to solve Andrea Bollini (4Science) review done)
  7. (star) (Angular) Transfer to .po message format - Initial PR: (Paulo Graça,  Tim Donohue , Art Lowel (Atmire)  UPDATED. NEEDS RE-REVIEW → Preview 2)
  8. (blue star) (Angular) Configurable Entities (Part 1 - Architecture & Display): ( Paulo Graça - approved. Giuseppe Digilio (4Science)  RE-REVIEW, Tim Donohue , Art Lowel (Atmire) - retested, looks fine)
  9. (Angular) Preview release theme: (Tim Donohue  - Will be merged into a "preview" branch )
  10. (Angular) Preview release theme, extended for entities: (Tim Donohue - Will be merged into a "preview" branch )
  11. (blue star) (warning) (Angular) MyDSpace UI ( (Art Lowel (Atmire) , Paulo Graça - NEEDS RE-REVIEW  Tim DonohueGiuseppe Digilio (4Science) REPLIED TO REVIEW, NEEDS FINAL APPROVAL)
  12. (warning) (Angular Bug) (Andrea Bollini (4Science) - information added, Art Lowel (Atmire) )
  13. (star) (Backend) One Webapp Backend - Initial PR: (Ben Bosman , (tick)Mark H. Wood , (tick)Terrence W Brady )
    1. This PR will have a follow-up PR to rename the "dspace-spring-rest" webapp to "dspace-server" and update all URL configurations
  14. (star) (Backend) Upgrading to Handle Server v9: (Mark H. Wood)
  15. (star) (Backend) Our extensive EHCache configuration is ignored: (Terrence W Brady
  16. (star) (REST) Pagination issues on Items findAll - (Tim DonohueKevin Van de Velde (Atmire))

PRs Merged this week!

  1. (tick) (blue star) (Angular) Content-Type fallback
  2. (tick) (Angular) Morgan vulnerability fix
  3. (tick) (REST) Embed EPerson Groups on EPerson:
    1. (tick) (Angular) UI updates for this change (require #2216):
  4. (tick)(blue star) (REST) MyDSpace Endpoint PR:


  1. (Angular) Move Item Component:
    1. Blocked by DSpace PR#2283
  2. (Angular) Item-Collection Mapper:
    1. Blocked by DSpace PR#2282


  1. (REST Contract) Edit Homepage News:
    1. Delayed until after Preview release. General agreement (in meeting on March 21, 2019) that storing HTML in metadata fields is not really ideal behavior.  Metadata (from a librarian standpoint) tends to be free of format-related markup (as that allows for easier sharing, understanding of metadata.  Currently Community & Collection homepage information is HTML-based and is stored in metadata that is appropriate for a minor subset of information (like the title) but it is better to move large/rich text to bitstreams.  
    2. Proposal here is to consider storing HTML-based markup (for Site, Community & Collection homepages) in Bitstream(s) associated with the object in question.  May allow for more CMS-lite behavior in the future
    3. Timeline for this is uncertain.  Possibly in 7 or 8. May depend on how/whether it can be scoped.
  2. (REST) Scripts & Processes endpoint:
  3. Concurrency in DSpace 7 (or 8).  What do we want to do when multiple editors are editing the same object?  Needs further analysis regarding implementation details
    1. We've decided (in meeting on March 7, 2019) to use ETags to implement concurrency. REST Contract notes on ETags:
    2. ETags only update of the two fields match. If someone edits first, your edit would fail and you would get a fail response (422?)
    3. ETags seems to have broader support in other REST APIs.  Recommended also by both Art and Andrea.

Priorities for Preview Release

As discussed in previous DSpace 7 meetings, our DSpace 7 Preview release is aimed for end of April, followed by a Preview #2 in May (before OR2019).  The top priorities for the Preview Release are (in this order):

  1. Submission & Workflow UI / backend
  2. Configurable Entities (from DSpace 7 Entities Working Group)
  3. Upgrading Solr Server for DSpace (not required for Preview, as there's no user facing features. However, the earlier we feel comfortable merging this effort the better)


  • Tim is out next Mon-Weds (April 29-May 1) but will be checking email occasionally.  Will return in time for next week's meeting on May 2

  • Preview 1 Release
    • We are a little behind, but not by much.  Seems hard to make "end of April" (especially with Tim traveling). But, we could make very early May.
    • We need ideally by end of April
      • A second reviewer on the Configurable Entities REST API PR (Tim already reached out on #dev and #entities-wg channels)
      • A final review of Configurable Entities Angular UI from Giuseppe Digilio (4Science)  (Andrea said he should be able to do it by early next week)
      • A final review of MyDSpace Angular UI PR from Art Lowel (Atmire)and/or Paulo Graça (as this PR has had updates from Giuseppe)
    • Next week we can then work to package up the "Preview" release (with the Preview theme)
  • OR2019 Planning
    • A second preview release by OR2019, featuring
      • One Webapp PR (from Tim)
      • Ideally, Solr upgrade process (from Mark W)
      • Theming/branding strategy (Art is working on ideas to bring forward)
      • Possible updates to Entities TBD by DSpace 7 Entities Working Group
  • Tim will restart DSpace 7 Entities Working Group in early May. See that wiki page or #entities-wg for more info
  • Beta estimation Planning
    • Will be using an estimation process used by other DuraSpace projects/services (called Wideband Delphi estimation technique)  Involves estimates from multiple developers, and pads those estimates with a level of certainty/uncertainty around each feature
      • likely will break down the estimation by UI vs REST API.  May have additional categories as well.
    • Tim & Heather need Art Lowel (Atmire) and Andrea Bollini (4Science) to update/check the Development planning spreadsheet (see agenda above) by May 2 meeting.  Need to finalize which features are not likely to be done by OR2019, so we can schedule them for estimation process.