This is the first meeting in a new series for DSpace Developers: DSpace Developer Show and Tell Meetings
Time: Feb 27, 2018 at 16:00 - 17:30 UTC (11AM ET - 12:30PM ET)
Note: this meeting will be recorded
- Basic deployment of DSpace in AWS (Amazon Web Services) Tim Donohue
- Developing DSpace with Janitor Patrick Trottier
Developing DSpace with Janitor Patrick Trottier
This presentation will be covered in Mar 2018
Janitor aims to enable developers to work on open source projects with ease and speed.
You can follow progress here: https://github.com/JanitorTechnology/dockerfiles/pull/155
- Initially for simplicity, Jan Keromnes (the founder of Janitor) and I have decided to host the Dockerfile for the project on Janitor's GitHub page.
- In the near future, Janitor aims to support Windows (using Azure) and macOS environment to unify the experience for testing and developing.
As the project is heading towards Beta and requires an invite to join, please send me a private message with your email in Slack and I can expedite the process.
- Why Janitor?
- How does Janitor work?
Basic deployment of DSpace in AWS (Amazon Web Services) using Puppet Tim Donohue
Topic: Talking through a very basic deployment of DSpace in the Cloud, similar to demo.dspace.org setup, using these tools:
- puppet-dspace: https://github.com/DSpace/puppet-dspace - Custom Puppet module that is used to install/deploy DSpace and all pre-requisites. Installs all prerequisites by "wrapping" calls to third-party modules listed below:
- If you wish to install Tomcat via Puppet, requires usage of puppetlabs-tomcat module. Tomcat setup script is at: https://github.com/DSpace/puppet-dspace/blob/master/manifests/tomcat_instance.pp (i.e. dspace::tomcat_instance)
- If you wish to install Postgres via Puppet, requires usage of puppetlabs-postgresql module PostgreSQL setup script is at: https://github.com/DSpace/puppet-dspace/blob/master/manifests/postgresql_db.pp (i.e. dspace::postgresql_db)
- If you wish to install Apache via Puppet, requires usage of puppetlabs-apache module. Apache setup script is at: https://github.com/DSpace/puppet-dspace/blob/master/manifests/apache_site.pp (i.e. dspace::apache_site)
- See project README for more examples/info
- puppet-dspace-demo: https://github.com/DSpace-Labs/puppet-dspace-demo
- Contains Cloud-init deployment scripts (see cloud-init.yaml) to setup server & call Puppet
- Uses puppet-dspace + (all above listed) third-party puppet modules to install Apache, Tomcat, Postgres, and DSpace. The end result is a server/site that looks like http://demo.dspace.org
- The entire Puppet setup script is at: https://github.com/DSpace-Labs/puppet-dspace-demo/blob/master/manifests/site.pp
- See project README for much more info
- This project could be the basis for other basic cloud deployments of DSpace.