Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 5 Next »

Time/Place

Time: 12:00pm Eastern Time (US)

Please see the calendar invite for the Zoom link.

Attendees

  1. Tammy Allgood Wolf (star)
  2. Melissa Anez
  3. Chris Awre 
  4. Thomas Bernhart
  5. Danny Bernstein 
  6. Robert Cartolano 
  7. Sayeed Choudhury (Aaron Birkland will represent JHU)
  8. Stefano Cossu
  9. Dan Coughlin
  10. Jon Dunn 
  11. Dan Field
  12. Raman Ganguly
  13. Jennifer Gilbert
  14. Babak Hamidzadeh
  15. Neil Jefferies
  16. Mark Jordan
  17. Danny Lamb
  18. Rosalyn Metz 
  19. Este Pope 
  20. Scott Prater
  21. Robin Ruggaber 
  22. Tim Shearer
  23. Andrew Woods 
  24. Dustin Slater 
  25. Jennifer Vinopal 
  26. David Wilcox
  27. Wei Xuan
  28. Maurice York
  29. Laurie Arp 
  30. Robert Miller

Agenda

Topic

Lead

Financial Update (10 minutes)

The end of year Financial Statement for FY19-20 for Fedora (July 1, 2019-June 30, 2020) is available as an email attachment.

Overall we were positive to budget by $ 55,719. This was more than anticipated due to several variances.

Positive variances include

  • $ 20,700 in additional membership dues
  • $ 20,060 underspent in travel due to pandemic 
  • $ 2,409 in interest
  • Miscellaneous service provider fees, supplies,  services, IDC

Negative variances include

  • $ 20,932 in salaries and benefit – leadership approved this variance to increase Danny Bernstein’s time to 100% for the last several months of the fiscal year to accelerate Fedora 6 development
  • $ 8,133 in meeting expenses - these were related to the Islandora and Fedora Camp and were planned for but not included in the original budget

Overall net assets (retained and current) are now $ 109,991

Goal: Review the financial statement for FY19-20, provide opportunity for questions.

Laurie

IMLS Fedora Migration Grant Announcement (15 minutes)

$249,859 over 18 months (September 2020 - February 2022)

We will develop, pilot, and document migration tools and paths to upgrade Fedora 3 to Fedora 6. The community identified migration tools and documentation during a planning project as important resources to support Fedora 3 upgrade and migration processes, which are necessary to sustain repositories that provide critical access to digital collections. Pilot migrations will be conducted and documented for two Fedora 3 repositories; a toolkit then will be shared through training programs to support broad community adoption.

Goal: Review the planned work, increase awareness, provide opportunity for questions.

David

IMLS Grant Impacts (20 minutes)

The FY2021 Fedora budget assumed a 15% reduction in membership revenues relative to FY2020 for a total of ~$66,000. So far we have surpassed that estimate with ~$92,000 in net losses. However, we also received the IMLS Fedora migration grant, which pays for 50% of David’s time over 18 months (September 2020 - February 2022). See Program Leadership Activities Document

Goal: Review current financial forecast and agree on how to manage staff allocations during the grant period.

Rosalyn

Assessing Different Funding Models (30 minutes)

The current membership funding model for Fedora (and other open source programs) is proving to be unsustainable, so we need to discuss the viability of different approaches.

Goal: Break into small groups to discuss the proposals and make note of the benefits and drawbacks, as well as any suggestions for improving the models.

David

Strategic Subgroup Reports and Next Steps (30 minutes)

Goal: Agreement on priorities for each subgroup

David

Rosalyn

Este

Wrap-upDavid

Previous Action Items


Notes

Financial Update

Report shared in advance; main points in the agenda above. We are at end of fiscal year. 

IMLS Fedora Migration Grant Announcement

Previous IMLS grant (last year) examined barriers to migration. One clear takeaway: migration is difficult, requiring a lot of effort, but the value proposition wasn't clear. To bring the community forward, the value proposition needs to go up and the work needed to migrate must to go down.



Action Items 


  • No labels