The group discuss the representation of scholarship as an ontology, study and incorporate work of others, to create a model that can be used across systems and applications. Developers stop by to consider how the ontology might be used in software. The discussions are always open. Everyone is welcome to attend. Some of the issues that have been discussed recently include:
- Representation of identifiers, including ORCiD, DOI, and others
- What identifiers to include in VIVO
- How to manage ontological change
- Licenses for ontology
- Representation of translations, and multiple languages
- Representation of projects and the relationship of projects to grants
- Representation of works in the performing and visual arts
- What constitutes ontology and what constitutes annotation for the purpose of supporting applications
- Fundamental issues regarding the representation of scholarly works
From time to time, the group will spin off a work group to work on a particular problem. And this may result in a proposed design for some extension or revision of the ontology.
If you are interested, please join the ontology channel on Slack (join VIVO Slack here: http://bit.y/vivo-slack ), and the interest group meetings.
New to ontology? You may wish to review some Ontology Resources