- VIVO is an open source, member-supported enterprise application that enables the discovery of research and scholarship across disciplines at a particular institution.
- VIVO is populated with detailed profiles of faculty and researchers including information information regarding research and scholarship of your people such as publications, teaching, service, and professional affiliations. This information can then be displayed as profiles, used in queries.
- VIVO also provides a powerful search functionality for locating people and information within the institution.
- VIVO's underlying database is can be automatically populated with information from verified sources, thus reducing the need for manual input of data.
- VIVO users can locate profiles in the system using a variety of search methods, therefore facilitating the discoverability of researchers and their work.
- VIVO provides a centralized source of personal and professional information that may be utilized in a variety of ways.
It is best to post questions to one of our mailing lists: firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com
VIVO at your institution
How does VIVO obtain
Profile information Information is imported in the system from verified sources such as human resources, grant databases, course listings, and faculty activity information. Data may also be entered or customized manually by the individual user or the user's proxy. VIVO then makes this information available for browse and search capabilities as well as export to other web pages and outside sources.
- Researchers looking for collaborators on large-scale or multidisciplinary grants
- Funding agencies and donors in search of individuals with specialized skills or expertise
- Faculty who want to advertise upcoming seminars or courses they are teaching
- Administrators hoping to showcase showcasing faculty or departmental department activities
- Students trying to locate graduate study programs and advisors
How does VIVO enhance my research or academic standing?
VIVO facilitates the process of finding research collaborators or sources of specified skills and informatoninformation. The integrated system promotes the kind of cross-disciplinary collaborations that are becoming more vital in the current research environment.
Most of the current networking platforms depend on manual input of information by users while VIVO is automatically populated with data from verified sources. VIVO's data collection methodology uses controlled vocabulary in order to standardize the information and make it easier to locate, retrieve and share. The system provides data in a consistent format that is readable by not only people but other and computer applications as well.
VIVO specifications and technical information
How does VIVO work?
VIVO technology is a semantic web application coupled with an ontology editor. It uses the Resource Description Framework (RDF) and supports customizable browsing. Information in VIVO is stored as "triples" of the form subject-predicate-object; for example, John Doe (subject) - is author of (predicate) - "The Effect of Video Games on Kids" (object). With VIVO, you can create and load ontologies, edit relationships, build a public web site to display data, and search it using the built-in search engine.
How does VIVO handle identifiers for researchers?
Please see the VIVO response to a UK Joint Information Systems Committee (JISC) August, 2011 questionnaire looking at the way other countries are building name identifier systems relating to researchers in higher education. VIVO supports many researcher identifiers and is easily extended to accommodate new ones. In particular, VIVO supports ORCiD.
VIVO provides multiple means for interacting with other software. It's data is accessible via content negotiation, and via VIVO APIs. The data is easily unloaded and reloaded to other triple storestores and transformed to other systems.
How does VIVO handle privacy issues?
VIVO profiles will should contain only contain public data pertaining to research and scholarship activities. No sensitive information should be stored in VIVO.