|Item (time)||Description and Actions||Resources|
|Housekeeping (10 minutes)|
|Group Scope and objectives (20 min)|
Review group objectives. Any additions?
|Proposed work plan (15 min)|
Discuss and agree on a timeline for meetings and deliverables.
Deliverables for Next Leadership Meeting (70 min)
Note: We'll take a 5-minute break if needed.
Straw man proposals to start discussion are below:
Current DSpace governance descriptions: Project Governance
|Wrap up and next steps (5 min)|
|Any other business|
Inventory of DSpace governance documentation:
- Kristi will serve facilitator for these meetings
- Laurie will serve as note taker today, then it rotates for each meeting
Group Scope and Objectives
- Make recommendations for meeting format and frequency for Leadership and Steering Groups (by October Leadership meeting).
- Revise descriptions of roles and responsibilities of Leadership and Steering Groups and chairs (by October Leadership meeting).
- Revise DSpace-LYRASIS MOU with the goals of (1) harmonizing it with other LYRASIS DCSPs and (2) creating an agreement that could cover a 3-year term. (Completed by December 2020).
- Refine and make additions to governance orientation documents (by July 2021)
Added an additional one to tackle later in the year:
- Review eligibility and process for appointment of leaders from membership
Proposed work Plan
Detailed in meeting agenda see above
- Today focus on gov roles and meetings to present to gov at next meeting
- We will schedule a Nov and a Dec meeting now to get them on the calendar. Meetings should be 90-120 minutes.
- For MOU, once we have a draft, share google doc with leadership well in advance to get questions circulated well before vote.
- Meeting times are tricky as we cover Pacific time through Germany. Pascal can meet at 9 pm his time. We can alternate meeting times so inconvenience is alternated.
Action: Doodle poll to get Nov/Dec meetings on calendars now (Laurie)
Deliverables for Next Leadership Meeting
What are ways to improve process – focus on structures/processes/systems to better set us up for productive governance?
Recommendations: discussion reflected below but separate recommendation doc will be created and shared with leadership.
- Meetings held quarterly, with option to call "emergency" meeting when necessary.
- Meetings held in September, January, April, and (late) June (not physically at Open Repositories).
- Meeting duration: 2 hours
- Role of Leadership: Approves the overall priorities and strategic direction of the program by
- approving the annual budget and product roadmap
- nominating and electing Steering Group members
- voting on significant changes to strategic direction or roadmap presented by the Steering Group and
- helping to raise funds and secure other resources on behalf of the DSpace Program
- All other decisions are made by Steering.
- Transparent communication (i.e. decisions made by steering communicated to Leadership group within x time), and any Leader has the authority to call an emergency meeting about any issues.
- Some working groups may be limited to Leaders.
- Meeting format and content:
- Reports from working groups and LYRASIS DCSP team,
- Report from SG and
- Presentation of items for voting or discussion,
- Special topics or guest presentations.
- Meeting agendas and materials will be provided a week in advance.
- Meetings held monthly.
- Meeting duration: 1.5 hours
- Role of Steering: Provides program oversight and ensures that the priorities of the Leadership Group and members are met. This includes:
- Operational oversight, including time-sensitive requests
- Set strategic priorities (for approval by Leadership)
- Recommend budget allocations (for approval by Leadership)
- Assist with fundraising
- Commission working groups
- Sets agenda for Leadership Meeting
- Steering is empowered
- All decisions made by SG are send to LG with the right of any LG member to call an emergency meeting on such decisions within 3 days
- Terms: 3-year term, do not have to be a Leader to be elected to Steering. Can be reelected.
- A single set of officers (Chair and Vice Chair) for both Leadership and Steering.
- Chair facilitates Leadership and Steering meetings.
- Vice Chair leads when the Chair cannot attend.
- The Chair and Vice Chair are elected by the Leadership Group.
- Chair and Vice Chair serve with LYRASIS rep (i.e. Laurie) as financial oversight committee.
- Encourage geographical diversity in selection of these two positions. (not a hard requirement)
- Chair for two-year renewable terms
- Vice Chair for one-year renewable term (but does not automatically succeed Chair)
Wrap Up and next steps
Let’s refine and make recommendations to Leadership for the October meeting vote. This is effective immediately - meaning leadership won’t meet again until January 2021.
Consider the role of MOU. Is it to clarify the relationship with the Organizational Home or define the terms and conditions for the program and community? Bylaws or other documents (such as leadership/steering position descriptions) may help clarify.