This documentation covers the latest release of VIVO, version 1.14.x.
If you are able to help contribute to this documentation, please contact
vivo at lyrasis dot org
Looking for another version? See all documentation.
VIVO 1.14.0 does not contain VIVO core ontology changes (comparing to VIVO 1.13.0) or require a data migration or modifications to the Solr setup. However, please note that upgrading to VIVO 1.14.0 from a version of VIVO prior to 1.10 requires a triple store unload, use of provided utilities to upgrade, and a reload. See Upgrading VIVO. Moreover, upgrading to VIVO 1.14.0 from a version of VIVO prior to 1.10 requires installation of Solr as a free-standing application. The VIVO 1.14.0 supports two ways of defining user interface labels, via property files (as it was supported in previous versions), and via triplets in the graph in accordance with newly defined UI labels vocabulary.
Simplified process for installation and customization
The VIVO-languages and Vitro-languages projects are not needed anymore for the installation of VIVO (or Vitro). Customization of UI labels can be specified in local custom ttl files by using private-use language subtags (such as de_DE_x_tib, or fr_CA_x_uqam). Those changes can be made in separated directory in VIVO_HOME, which won't be affected (deleted, overwritten) by any further upgrade of VIVO to newer version.
Eliminating language specific FTL files
Phrases sensitive on gender and plural-related transformation of words, and other variations related to other morphological changes in different languages have been replaced with more generic changes insensitive on those linguistic transformations. This eliminates need for some language-specific FTL files, especially in the case of loading data from the graph, and improve user-experience.
Simplified process of supporting new languages
Up to VIVO 1.13.0, adding of a new user interface language required changes in VIVO-languages and Vitro-languages projects in different directories for web application property files and for data which should be preserved in graph. Moreover, it required changes of couple Maven specific files (pom.xml), meaning it required a technical person included in the process of adding new language. Starting from the VIVO 1.14.0, adding of new language can be performed by a translator requiring only a basic knowledge of the ontology notation.
Improvement of performance for startup of VIVO
The operations of loading and removing sample data, adding and removing model, clearing statements have been improved more than 5 times comparing to VIVO 1.13.0 and prior versions.
Faux data properties
Besides support faux object properties, VIVO from 1.14.0 also supports faux data properties.
Configuration of usage of Map of Science visualization
A flag visualization.mapOfScience with possible values enable and disable has been introduced in runtime.properties. VIVO adopters/implementers can disable usage of Map of Science.
-  - Remove "Other" special case from ChildVClassesWithParent
-  - Term of use page page is in English
-  - Labels on Preferred title deletion form
-  - Labels on Preferred title Edition form
-  - Making Capability Map i18n Compliant
-  - i18n: Error messages not displayed in correct language if locale changed
-  - i18n fixes for Processing RDF form
-  - Small typo in a js file
-  - Improved safety for visualisation cahes queries
- [3869, 3864] - Some freemarker templates don't have escaped values
-  - Tenderfoot template possibly broken
-  - First class group label always have en-US tag
-  - Faux property participant doesn't work
-  - Upload ontology data that contains blank nodes doesn't work
-  - Some inferred TBox axioms are not removed when the underlying assertions are deleted
-  - JFactTBoxReasonerTest sometimes fail
-  - Language selector doesn't work in Vitro
-  - Autocomplete form for organization name doesn't work
-  - Adopting i18n bean to read translations from triple store instead from property files
-  - Support local extension subtag in the language tag
-  - Support for faux data properties
-  - Support for combining parameters and apostrophe in UI labels
-  - Enabling/disabling Map of Science visualization
-  - Clear statements and remove actions in Manage Jena models menu take too much time
-  - First time loading on HDD with journaling file system can take a lot of time
-  - Get rid of language specific ftl files
-  - Fixes for new individual form
-  - Move search help page translations to properties
-  - Move qr codes about page translations to n3 configurations
-  - Moving translations for map of science from ftl files to property files
-  - Decouple email templates and translations
-  - Replace hard coded text with tags (label keys) in all templates
-  - Support plurals in all languages
-  - Language-neutral help text in autocomplete forms
-  - Moving VIVO/Vitro-languages repositories into VIVO/Vitro repositories
-  - Adding English as default language
-  - Removing itextpdf dependency
-  - Improved delay when logging in
-  - Added some missed UI labels
-  - Mitigation of Capability map vulnerability
- Georgy Litvinov (TIB)
- Brian Lowe (Ontocale)
- Michel Héon (UQAM)
- Kevin Day (Texas A&M)
- William Welling (Texas A&M)
- Benjamin Kampe (TIB)
- Mark Vanin (TIB)
- Anna Guillaumet (SIGMA)
- Benjamin Gross (Clarivate)
- Veljko Maksimovic (University of Novi Sad)
- Ivan Mrsulja (University of Novi Sad)
- Miloš Popović (University of Novi Sad)
- Ralph O'Flinn (NIH)
- Huda Khan (Cornell)
- Christian Hauschke (TIB)
- Dragan Ivanovic (LYRASIS / University of Novi Sad)