Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date:

Attendees: Lynette, Huda, Simeon, Jason, Steven

Regrets: Tim, Greg

Meeting time after July 9 (or some after change)

  • Agree keep to 9:30am Friday — DONE - Meredith has created meetings through next summer

Discovery (WP3)

      • 2021-02-26 Have to develop SPARQL queries to pull out certain sorts of connected Work. Don't expect data to be very dense but do expect that we would get useful connections between print and electronic for example. We already have a link based on the OCLC concordance file from several years ago.
      • ACTION - Steven Folsom and Huda Khan to work on building an equivalent of the OCLC concordance file based on SVDE data and then do a comparison to see how they are similar and different
        • 2021-04-02 Steven and Huda met to think about putting together queries to extract a similar dataset.  (Document for recording queries). Open questions about the counts – got 16k works from one view, got about 8k where limited to case with at least one instance. These numbers are much much lower than expected
        • 2021-04-16 Steven working with Dave on how to pull our SVDE data. Dave still working through some errors in ingest of SVDE data – this needs to be resolved before looking for concordance. Has asked Frances for 2015 concordance
        • 2021-04-23 Waiting on indexing of PCC data, have learnt more about the basis for the old OCLC concordance file
        • 2021-05-07 Steven didn't have much luck getting data from SVDE, learning GraphQL endpoint but also problems with timeouts there (HTTP 503)
    • What is the space of Work ids that we might use and their affordances?
      • OCLC Work ids, SVDE Opus (Work), LC Hubs (more than Hubs), what else?
      • Connections to instances, how to query, number
      • 2021-05-07 ACTION - Huda to start analysis
    • Other SVDE entities
      • 2021-05-07 ACTION - Huda will reach out to Jim Hahn about entities other than Works represented in SVDE - DONE
      • Summarized here: Jamboard link -  U Penn Enriched Marc: Work Ids in 996 Field. 1.2 million with OCLC Work IDs in > 1 description.  ~3.9 million with OCLC Work IDs in only one record.
    • Publisher authorities/ids
      • At Cornell we haven't tried to connect authorities with publishes
      • LC working on connecting to publisher identifiers - utility is things also published by a publisher
      • Also possible interest in series and awards
      • 2021-04-23 Might be able to use LC publisher ids in BANG!, Steven will look at whether there is a dump available
    • 2021-06-04
      • To plan BANG! we need to think about what can be done with the available data. Perhaps take some concrete examples to consider what LC and SVDE data might give us, no longer sure what we could do with current OCLC works data (hope that entity work will provide new data later)
      • What about providing users with better access using alternative labels etc. that might better match their expectations, including different languages via VIAF connections. Much of our catalog data around languages is very bad because we use roman transliterations based on LC rules that are not well sync'd with actual practices in other locales.
      • Other possible datasets? Wikidata information is quite sparse (see jamboard). We get Syndetics ToC data for the catalog now, are there other structured data sources for ToC? Perhaps also look at wikicite – could suggest articles even if we don't generally have article level data. ACTION - Huda to ask Jesse whether there are any open structured datasets for ToC, even if much smaller.
  • DAG Calls
    • 2021-05-28 Had high level topics overview discussion. Interesting comments and philosophical discussions about the benefits of linked data, demonstrations/examples that are useful to cite, BIBFRAME value proposition for discovery. Going forward plan to look more at user research and then work through high level areas
    • 2021-06-04 In next meeting will look at topics other than BIBFRAME and then talk about user research

Linked-Data Authority Support (WP2)

Developing Cornell's functional requirements in order to move toward linked data

Other Topics

  • PCC/Sinopia and SVDE shape analysis
    • 2021-03-19 Steven has been working through a spreadsheet of 400+ lines to compare the shape of SVDE data with the PCC/Sinopia profile. He is finding that there are many many differences which will severely limit how well Sinopia will be able to consume and edit SVDE data. For the purposes of QA/Sinopia cloning, Steven could come up with some ldpaths but not sure whether the amount of data will be useful. Steven expects to be able to share the spreadsheet at the next Sinopia/SVDE meeting. Going forward we need to consider the role of versioning/documenting shape changes and validation at both scale and single descriptions. Justin's validation scripts: https://github.com/LD4P/dctap. Tom Baker's csv2shex: https://github.com/tombaker/csv2shex
    • 2021-03-26 Steven finished working through the spreadsheet comparing SVDE data with the PCC profile. Notes that he is looking only from the side of the PCC profile and would thus miss other things in SVDE data. Patterns around different types of work in SVDE data (e.g. Opus and other higher level works have very different shapes). Difficult pattern of double-reified relationships between works. Steven will let SVDE/QA folks know about completion of the work. Need to find a way toward alignment.
    • 2021-04-23 Write-up complete: SVDE PCC/Sinopia PCC Template Analysis, March 2021 
  • OCLC Linked Data / Entities Advisory Group
    • 2021-04-02 Michelle asked about connecting QA to the OCLC Entity Backbone as part of updates for partner meeting, Lynette has reached out about API
    • 2021-04-23 Still nothing back from OCLC, need to reach out again
  • PCC Task Group on Non-RDA Entities
    • 2021-03-19 Group headed by standing committee on standards will formally propose a list of non-RDA entity types. Steven will join. Deliverables by June
    • 2021-04-02 Many participants involved in ILS/LSP migrations so work delayed until July
  • Default branch name - Working through repositories in Renaming of LD4P Repositories
  • Authorities in FOLIO
    • Hope to include URIs as part of Cornell FOLIO migration, possible LD4P work
    • 2021-04-23 Likely going ahead in August

Upcoming meetings

  • https://kula.uvic.ca/index.php/kula/announcement/view/1 .  Call for Proposals - Special Issue: "The Metadata Issue: Metadata as Knowledge".  Due January 31, 2021 (abstract 300-500 words).  Includes "The use of linked open data to facilitate the interaction between metadata and bodies of knowledge" and "Cultural heritage organization (libraries, archives, galleries, and museums) and academic projects that contribute to or leverage open knowledge platforms such as Wikidata"
    • Folder Link, CFP + Brainstorming
    • 2021-03-26 Abstract accepted, paper due June 25
    • 2031-05-07 Meeting scheduled for 5/13 with group.  Document to capture discussion/references
      • Research paper format: "Word count: Research articles should be between 6,000 and 9,000 words (including notes but not references).". Peer reviewed.  Have emailed KULA folks just to confirm type of article.
  • LD4 Conference 2021 - response on proposals will be announced April 30; conference is July 12-23
    • Discovery - suggestion of discussion form 
      • Huda submitted status of discovery update, BOF for DAG, and discussion of opportunities for effects and use of linked data (60min discussion)
      • 5/7: Received word that affinity groups will be getting reserved time they can use as desired, so may go ahead with BOF format (will need to discuss with co-chair/DAG members)
    • Lynette/Greg/Dave - containerization, should have documented product by then
      • 4/9: Submitted abstract for presentation
      • 5/21: Accepted
    • Lynette – possibly something about the working group, perhaps updated version of code4lib
      • 4/9: Submitted as a lightning talk
      • 5/21: Accepted
    • Document for brainstorming (in case anyone wants to use it)
  • BIBFRAME in Europe workshop - September 21-23 15:00–18:00 CEST = 9am-12noon EST
  • SWIB virtual again this year, call for proposals out, due June 28
  • Lynette doing a QA presentation at Samvera partner call in June

Next Meeting(s), anyone out?:

  • 2021-06-11 ...