There is a pressing need to provide concrete demonstrations of the benefits of linked data in order to help motivate the transition of library catalogs from MARC. Within LD4P2, work to enhance the discovery of library resources was the focus of WP4: Discovery. The partners had committed to working with the Blacklight framework to demonstrate enhanced discovery features such as:
- knowledge panel in search results to present contextual information powered by linked data;
- browsing based on authority files and links to related entities in external data;
- semantic search, which could include laying out alternative terms in a “no results” page, suggesting semantically related terms in a type-ahead, or providing richer, geo-based browse by leveraging URIs for places; and
- microdata on item pages to enable machine crawling.
In all of these areas there is opportunity for community input on and discussion of the best approaches and the desired outcomes. The LD4 Discovery Affinity Group will provide a forum for these discussions, with the following goals:
- identify exemplar systems/features the demonstrate the benefits of linked data and could be applied to library resources
- identify opportunities for enhanced discovery of library resources using linked data that can be implemented in the short to medium term
- document connections between cataloging practices and discovery outcomes
- document effective assessment approaches
- provide advice to LD4P2 partners and cohort members for WP4: Discovery
- Co-chaired by Jessie Keck & Huda Khan
- Bi-weekly calls (see below):
- Announce on #general and #discovery
- Public notes in Google Drive: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Un3ALFr1zKROYr9b6h5VGX4Xikz6SqQC
- Topics seeded in advance, with a few key speakers drawn from community, then discussion
- Dedicated, open Slack channel in LD4 –
- Dedicated, open Google Group –
- Share brief updates on all hands calls
- Consider face-to-face sessions at the LD4 conference each Spring
Calls and topics
Calls bi-weekly, Tuesdays, 9am PT / 12noon ET, 5pm UK, 6pm CET, https://cornell.zoom.us/j/177198322?pwd=U1N1bVp3K0ZZU3NsaUQzSURkT0JhQT09 (Note change to Zoom URL)
Calls are expected to continue through the length of the grant and hopefully beyond.
- 2019-02-19 Intro and knowledge panels
- 2019-03-05 Knowledge panels (continued)
- 2019-03-19 How do we do things at index time?
- 2019-04-02 What do we know about our users and how does that help with enhancing discovery?
- 2019-04-16 User stories (continued) and let's talk about data / Recording
- 2019-04-30 User evaluation results and walking through data examples / Recording
- 2019-05-14 User feedback on knowledge panels, demo of enhancements and recap of LD4 conference discovery discussions / Recording
- 2019-05-28 Reviewing wiki, data, and browsing / Recording
- 2019-06-11 Browsing and open-ended discovery / Recording
- 2019-07-09 Updates, data / Recording
- 2019-07-23 Discovery examples across multiple sources / Recording
- 2019-08-06 Library metadata and Google + Harvard concept search demo / Recording
- 2019-08-20 Linked data search and discovery UI, browse, data / Recording
- 2019-09-03 Blacklight LD Working Meeting agenda: Data, Knowledge Panels, Schema.org/Sitemap, UX / Recording
- 2019-09-17 Blacklight LD Working Meeting agenda: Browse, Semantic Search, UX / Recording
- 2019-10-01 Blacklight LD recap and future topics/themes/ Recording
- 2019-10-15 More meeting recaps and review / Recording
- 2019-10-29 Knowledge Panel White Paper Review and other topics / Recording
- 2019-11-26 Knowledge Panel White Paper - continued discussion / Recording
- 2019-12-10 Browse, year in review, etc. / Recording
- 2020-01-7 Welcome back, topics and theme planning / Recording
- 2020-01-21 Usability/user research / Recording
- 2020-02-04 Knowledge Panel White Paper - continued discussion / Recording
- 2020-02-18 University of Ghent autocomplete / Recording
- 2020-03-03 A little usability, a little semantic search / Recording
- 2020-03-17 Flexible agenda / Recording
- 2020-03-31 EBSCO Knowledge Graph UI / Recording
- 2020-04-14 Discovery and knowledge graphs project at NCSU / Recording
- 2020-04-28 Various topics including effects on/intersections with discovery due to COVID-19 / Recording
- 2020-05-12 Autosuggest and linked data: possibilities and interactions, additional planning / Recording
- 2020-05-26 General discussion around entities and discovery / Recording
- 2020-06-09 Indexing and linked data / Recording
- 2020-06-23 Knowledge Panel White Paper, group recap and future / Recording
- 2020-07-07 Where do we go from here? Group discussion / Recording
- 2020-08-04 LD4 Conference recap / Recording
- 2020-08-18 Knowledge Panel White Paper, Ethics in linked data, planning / Recording
- 2020-09-01 Indexing graphs and entities / Recording
- 2020-09-15 Indexing and entities, continued / Recording
- 2020-09-29 Entities and example interfaces / Recording
- 2020-10-13 Solr APIs, relatedness, Blacklight Virtual Summit recap / Recording
- 2020-10-27 What's linked data got to do with user actions? / Recording
- 2020-11-10 ResearchSpace demo / Recording
- 2020-12-08 Knowledge Panel white paper, ethics, end of year recap / Recording
Discussion materials and references (e.g. slides, documents, etc.)
- Knowledge panels
- Index time processes
- Architectural/search index review of when/how to integrate data (Michael Gibney)
- User stories and usability
- Browsing, search, and open-ended discovery
- Running slide deck of examples
- Search demo incorporating Wikidata and LOC content
- Searching across libraries and reconciling information between LC authorities/subject headings and Wikipedia
- Overview of questions at different levels (data, index, interface)
- Additional references
Possible future call topics
- examples of knowledge panels. What works, works well, where is data coming from?
- can you tell if schema.org <http://schema.org> works / is worth the effort?
- how Wikidata can make Library discovery better
- cohort Discovery projects: Yale, UC Davis, Harvard, etc.
- what examples of browse interfaces to you have / like?
- semantic search? advanced discovery?
- how do you assess impact of exposing your metadata as LOD?
- tips and tricks for better metadata production
- "if I do x in my catalog record, I get y result"
- other topics as they arise...