Page tree

Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Date: 

Attendees: Jason, Steven, Tim, Lynette, Huda, John, Simeon

Regrets: getting a new Mac that cost many $ and isn't as fast as an old one

Agenda & Notes

Review actions from 2019-08-30 Cornell LD4P2 Meeting notes

  • Tim Worrall and Steven Folsom  to try the load tab with data from Discogs and an appropriate template.
    • Steven continuing to work on profiles; he's on vacation for 2 weeks starting 8/12 so expect no template progress.
    • 2019.08.16: 10 resource templates were pushed. Next week Tim Worrallwill have time to load those locally on his instance and then try to load n3 generated via QA. Update forthcoming
    • 2019-08-30 - Can't get n3 to load when it references more than one template. Tim Worrallwill explore further and report bug if it is. UPDATE: Tim was able to load n3 that referenced two and three templates.
    • DONE - we can load n3 that references multiple templates. We thus have every reason to expect that loading Discogs data will be fine when there is a load facility from lookup (other than the current manual paste)
  • Lynette Rayle  will work with Michelle to develop a prioritization process. Steven Folsom is starting the slack thread b/t Michelle and Lynette
    • 2019-08-30 Steven and Michelle had a call and will filter new requests using :+1: style voting from the cohort. Have separated 8 or 9 out of 20 requests which are just small drop-downs and wouldn't benefit from QA work – PR for this has and issue that Steven is working with Jeremy on
    • 2019-09-06 Process agreed, waiting on Michelle Futornickto push out request for input
  • Simeon WarnerLynette RayleSteven Folsom to apply for LODLAM
    • Not done, deadline in 30 Sep
  • Simeon Warner & Jason Kovari  to discuss possibility of early experiment with original cataloging for items not found in Discogs to test profile and editor, and resolve question of when catalogers should start on the project
    • Done, Planning to start cataloging Oct 1 which will be before release of Sinopia supporting discogs import
  • Steven Folsom  will work with Tim Worrall  to check with profile as to where we want bnodes
    • We know what we want but we still need to:
    • Tim Worrall to update discogs code to use standard bnode format
    • Steven Folsom to update profiles to remove old pattern resulting in unnecessary bnodes
  • Huda Khan et al. – KPAOW video and write up: Make short video. Write up successes, difficulties, lessons, data and index needs, areas for continued work (if and when)
  •  Issues:

Status updates and planning

  • Prep for Cataloging Sinatra and other 45's (Discogs data, https://github.com/ld4p/qa_server/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ADiscogs)
    • ON HOLD pending more work in Sinopia to import data. Sinopia work cycle 2 will we hope include the ability to read in RDF back from Trellis. We hope that we can leverage this to import RDF from a lookup in Discogs or ShareVDE
    • Waiting for Work Cycle 2 (starting week of Sep 23) to understand whether the derivation/cloning work item will happen during Fall – we need to emphasize the importance of cloning
    • Expect to start cataloging work on Oct 1
  • Enhanced Discovery (see also https://wiki.duraspace.org/x/sJI7Bg and https://github.com/LD4P/discovery/projects/1)

    • BAM!
      • Have starting slide deck
      • Need to think about where linked data fits in well; related works; how to make our browse better; how to deal with hierarchy; moving past long lists; connecting place and time; intended audience; relation to facets and showing scope/possibilities; interesting use cases to explore; data and indexing (do we need to do things at index time?)
      • Try a shorter work cycle for this as we went over with KPAOW a bit... ~1.5months
      • @all to work on plan to review next week
      • Initial draft of BAM plan
        • Will continue to work on plan – review progress next week
        • Look at doing upgrade to current BL7 early so it isn't a delay in later dev work, also consider repo organization
        • Current browse is rather separate from search experience - can we make that connection more fluid?
        • Need to come up with a few motivation examples
        • Anything to learn from virtual shelf experiments for subject libraries? Or idea of "new" items? How does one fine entry point for a subset browse? What audiences are most likely to use a browse? Is this something that might interest faculty/researchers more than undergrads (other way round to knowledge panels)?
        • This will be a track at the BL-LD meeting
  • Authority Lookups for Sinopia (Lookup infrastructure: https://github.com/LD4P/qa_server/projects/2, Authority requests: https://github.com/LD4P/qa_server/projects/1)
    • Lynette has first stab at response time analysis, typical response from QA is 0.4-0.5s with about half and half between loading data from Dave/parsing graph, and then normalization in QA
    • Will look at concurrency next week
    • Dave has all of SVDE data loaded
  • Travel and meetings (see LD4P2 Cornell Meeting Attendances)
    • LD4 BL meeting September 23 week in Stanford
      • Huda, John, Steven going
    • European BIBFRAME Summit in September 16-17th-ish
      • Jason going and ARM/rare-cohort proposal accepted
    • Blacklight Summit will be at Duke, 9, 10, 11 October at Duke
      • Huda
    • Samvera Connect, week of October 21 (WUStL)
      • Lynette to present on QA (Simeon also going but not on LD4P funds)
    • Fall partner and cohort meeting in DC, November 12/13
    • 5th International LODLAM SUMMIT at the The Getty Center in Los Angeles. February 3-4, 2020
      • Steven is on the planning committee, Lynette and Simeon to apply
      • Expect to have a "tool challenge" - a competition before the conference
    • LD4 Conference at College Station, TX (TAMU) - May 2020
    • rdfs:seeAlso Conferences Related to Linked Data in Libraries
  • Next meetings:
    • Jason remote, Simeon out - 20 Sep