Attendees: Steven, Tim, Huda, Lynette, Simeon
Agenda & Notes
Review actions from 2018-11-02 Cornell LD4P2 Meeting notes
- Steven FolsomLC Names is in QA without going thru context workflow. Steven Folsomwill work with Huda Khan to set up.
- 2018-11-16 - LC expect to have new bulk files with RWO in the next week
- Jason Kovari Starting work on getting records to Casalini, will need to work out how to stage data we get back from Casalini
- 2018-11-02 - CUL-IT and LTS are working on this - pull all our bibliographic records is cumbersome to process; on the queue for Pete Hoyt and Gary Branch
- 2018-11-16 - think that this is being worked on by Pete/Gary
- Simeon Warner - set up homework to brainstorm D&A ideas on Google Doc, then set up longer session together to flesh out. Need to scan the large set of D&A issues: https://culibrary.atlassian.net/secure/RapidBoard.jspa?rapidView=19&projectKey=DISCOVERYACCESS&view=planning.nodetail
- Aside - LTS decision to use some ISNI URIs in bib records where a LC name authority does not exist, LC/PCC considering using ISNI in authority records. Steven had discussion with Frances about possible impacts on D&A. Considering new indexes based on identifiers rather than labels that might be useful for enhanced discovery services
- Still no progress on brainstorming homework
- Jason Kovari will raise BFE issues on Slack: While exploring support for authorities in BFE we notice that the RDF generated from a Topic search in BFE is simply broken. The "preview" has the label disconnected from the authority in the graph.
- Issues: https://waffle.io/LD4P/ld4p2-cornell
Status updates and planning
- Authority Lookups for Sinopia (Production QA instance: https://github.com/ld4p/qa_server/issues/)
- QA Priorities: update lookup.ld4l.org to use engine (done), keeping historical data (done), logging of use (not done yet Issue #28), then finish refactoring (no recent work), then performance (some reporting added) and/or new authorities
- Question of what data is returned to Sinopia on a term fetch is not a QA issue – QA just provides a feed-through of JSON-LD from Dave's server
- Lookups for LC NAF: experimenting with regular lc call but with Ajax requests to return context. Have RWO and sameAs coming back in search result-like display and next step is to do additional Ajax calls for rwo info (3xx fields), to generate prototype that can be used in testing. Huda is going to change prototype to work against QA for first search, but will then make other AJAX calls to LC to experiment with context data
- Huda Khan and Astrid have a number of user tests scheduled over the next two weeks based on Huda's mockup. Hope to have some preliminary results for SWIB. Key questions are 1) is the right/useful information shown? 2) is it presented in a good way?
- Have done 3 user tests so far, subjects are able to understand questions and complete tasks. Some confusion about arrow next to context, subjects are finding external links useful but some confusion about iframe vs window. Also subject not used to seeing human presentation vs MARC presentation of authority data (even though human version actually on LC site). Some potential for exploring hierarchy presentation. "Contextual information useful" but also want more information (like update admin info in MARC administrative fields which is not in the RDF – perhaps need to bring up with LC the question of admin metadata in RDF). It is clear that subjects use lots of sources to determine whether a term is right (e.g. MeSH, university profiles, Discogs). 3 more tests to go.
- Wikidata as an authority
- Christine and Steven discussed where to start with wikidata for authorities and think using Events is the bast place to start. Steven has created a repo https://github.com/LD4P/Wikidata – Steven thinking about Events and Christine/Marc thinking about Works. From initial exploration it seems that data from wikidata events might be more useful as extra information to display rather than as the basis for query; will likely need to look for several related properties as data not consistent
- Has been discussion on slack on whether it is expected to link to RWO or authority in Sinopia. Current plan is to link to authorities (as has been done with BFE work to date) and continue to discuss the RWO issue
- Prep for Cataloging Sinatra and other 45's (Discogs data, https://github.com/ld4p/qa_server/issues?q=is%3Aissue+is%3Aopen+label%3ADiscogs)
- Steven making some small changes in the annotations of the discogs JSON, Tim tracking this in the repository
- Enhanced Discovery
- Travel and meetings
- SWIB - Lynette will do a recording of up to 5mins to demonstrate QA, hopefully Monday
- LD4P2 Cornell Meeting Attendances
- No meeting 2018-11-23 or 2018-11-30, regroup on 2018-12-07