DSpace 4.2 was officially released to the public on July 22, 2014.
DSpace 4.2 can be downloaded immediately at either of the following locations:
SourceForge (Zip): https://sourceforge.net/projects/dspace/files/
GitHub: https://github.com/DSpace/DSpace/tree/dspace-4.2 (Git tag "dspace-4.2")
In addition, you are welcome to try out DSpace on http://demo.dspace.org/ and continue to provide any feedback you may have.
We recommend DSpace 4.x users upgrade to 4.2
Generally we recommend all DSpace 4.x users upgrade to DSpace 4.2 to receive several bug fixes. However, if you decide that none of the bug fixes are relevant for you then there is no urgent case for upgrading.
DSpace 4.2 provides bug-fixes and minor improvements to the 4.x platform. As it only provides bug-fixes, DSpace 4.2 should constitute an easy upgrade from DSpace 4.x for most users. No database changes or additional configuration changes should be necessary when upgrading from DSpace 4.x to 4.2 (except for DS-2036 which may affect some Oracle users; see Fixing the effects of DS-2036).
Issues which have been resolved in 4.2 include:
Fixed occasional "Out of Memory" errors when indexing large bitstreams/files in Discovery (DS-1958)
Fixed issue where REST API was not releasing "context" and ignored database pooling (DS-1986)
Fixed Solr commit delays when "did you mean" functionality is enabled in Discovery (DS-2060)
Fixed the "dspace classpath" command (DS-1998)
Fixed issue where thumbnails were not displayed when using JSPUI + Oracle database (DS-2013)
- Fixed validation of OAI-PMH response (DS-1928)
- Fixed several Oracle database upgrade script errors (DS-2036, DS-2038, DS-2056, and DS-1957)
- Fixed Maven build issue on Windows operating systems (DS-1940)
- Other minor fixes See Changes in 4.x section for a list of all fixes.
- For upgrade instructions for 4.x to 4.2, please see Upgrading From 4.0 to 4.x.
If you're an Oracle user affected by DS-2036, DSpace 4.2 fixes it, but you still need to fix the incorrect metadata generated by DSpace 4.x. This is covered by the upgrading instructions linked above.
- If you are upgrading from 3.x to 4.2, please see Upgrading From 3.x to 4.x.
- For general upgrade instructions, please see Upgrading a DSpace Installation
No new features in DSpace 4.2
The following fixes were released in 4.2.
- Release Coordinator: Committers Team (shared coordination) led by Robin Taylor
Timeline and Proceeding
- Release Date: July 22, 2014
Release Process will proceed according to the following Maven release process: Release Procedure