2021-04-16 - Usability testing is underway, will finish next week. Useful input on what users see/understand and what they struggle with. Users don't know what a repository is, can guess what digital collections means. Users tend to think that the author name link will get more information, don't see/understand info button – could mean adding tool tips and/or making button more obvious or even flip button/link or one link for info+search
2021-04-23 - Five people helped with usability tests. Setting up final results document. High level:
Uncertainty of info button vs author link (or lack of understanding if same/separate). Tim has created issue in D&A
Good understanding of author page in general, opportunities for some clarification in labeling etc., influences tab well understood
On subject page the timeline scroll/zoom fast creating interaction problems, broader/narrower mixed understanding (difficult when subject is an event), "show all subject" checkbox not found easily, timeline/map connection was understood
User reps D&A meeting: Expect next follow-up in August
Slides: from user reps meeting 2021-04-09 and result was "not no"
Positive feedback on linking back to catalog results
Questions about links and display from wikidata, other sources
End was to discuss more in August with possible discussion of how to move into production
User reps have slides and wanted demo link
Could have lite KP might to start, possible later entity pages – or perhaps both together
2021-04-23 How much more work to do before August? Candidates:
Follow up on results from usability tests
Work on how smoothly the prototype works
Think about more consistent look between pages - Tim thinking of making some mockups of redesign
Working on a list of tasks for the final refinements stage. Includes aligning look & feel of the entity pages, Tim is looking into this. Current subject pages optimized for things with date ranges, what do we do for subjects without date ranges (e.g. microbiology)?
Video for DASH!, theme?
BANG! (Bibliographic Aspects Newly GUI'd)
Expect to include Works. Need to do something beyond what we already have live from the OCLC concordance data.
Full OCLC concordance us 343M rows, and gzipped the file is 3.3GB
2021-02-26 Have to develop SPARQL queries to pull out certain sorts of connected Work. Don't expect data to be very dense but do expect that we would get useful connections between print and electronic for example. We already have a link based on the OCLC concordance file from several years ago.
ACTION - Steven Folsom and Huda Khan to work on building an equivalent of the OCLC concordance file based on SVDE data and then do a comparison to see how they are similar and different
2021-04-02 Steven and Huda met to think about putting together queries to extract a similar dataset. (Document for recording queries). Open questions about the counts – got 16k works from one view, got about 8k where limited to case with at least one instance. These numbers are much much lower than expected
2021-04-16 Steven working with Dave on how to pull our SVDE data. Dave still working through some errors in ingest of SVDE data – this needs to be resolved before looking for concordance. Has asked Frances for 2015 concordance
2021-04-23 Waiting on indexing of PCC data, have learnt more about the basis for the old OCLC concordance file
2021-05-07 Steven didn't have much luck getting data from SVDE, learning GraphQL endpoint but also problems with timeouts there (HTTP 503)
What is the space of Work ids that we might use and their affordances?
OCLC Work ids, SVDE Opus (Work), LC Hubs (more than Hubs), what else?
Connections to instances, how to query, number
2021-05-07 ACTION - Huda to start analysis
Other SVDE entities
2021-05-07 ACTION - Huda will reach out to Jim Hahn about entities other than Works represented in SVDE
At Cornell we haven't tried to connect authorities with publishes
LC working on connecting to publisher identifiers - utility is things also published by a publisher
Also possible interest in series and awards
2021-04-23 Might be able to use LC publisher ids in BANG!, Steven will look at whether there is a dump available
2021-05-07 Next week talking about visualization but then planning out sequence of topics: Framework for thinking about discovery questions, possibilities within data, etc.
Discussed the potential to include non-RDF authorities. Not difficult on the QA side, but Sinopia team is concerned about the difficulty in supporting on their side. The earliest they could work on it is Fall 2021 and even then it would have to be prioritized.
The non-RDF authorities that people want are ISO language and script (e.g. ISO 639-3, ISO 15924). There is a data property in BF that LC use with literal values (not URIs). Sinopia doesn't have a facility for lookups from a set of literal values, QA could support this but Sinopia wants RDF from QA only.
For rare materials there will be a similar issue with RBMS vocabs that aren't RDF
Discussed general priorities for Sinopia. Used the priorities spreadsheet (under working group section) as the starting point. Then looked at issues already in Sinopia which represent their expected priorities.
Sinopia fully supports 4/7 of Priority 1 user stories, partially supports 1, the remaining 2 are performance/timeout related which are at the cache/QA level and both are improved by the latest indexing approach.
Sinopia fully supports 2/7 of the Priority 2.
There are 4 others that are either fully or partially supported.
There are 14 not supported.
Potential work we've discussed in the past:
Support for left anchor search, exact value search, and allowing user to select the approach (including existing keyword search).
Jason notes that Laura Daniels has done lots of work around inventory search in FOLIO. Can do both left anchor and keyword based on special syntax.
In D&A one can do search on subject or subject a-z
Improved functioning for broader/narrower where the user can select a broarder/narrower term or use one of them as a new search.
Advanced search with passing in specific fieldname:value to find results and filtering of results by field value or date range.
ACTION - Ask Sinopia team for explicit feedback on priorities – 2021-05-07 still to do
Dave's new indexing is there, accuracy and performance is improved though we aren't sure about timeouts
Have worked on permissions issues and documented how to implement in AWS
Greg now running out of things to do without more input from Dave. Can document existing work and develop presentation for conference
Consider moving live QA instance from EBS to container version? Need to consider update mechanisms CI/CD. Agree that this is a good direction and Greg/Lynette will discuss
Greg spent some time learning about github actions for CI/CD. Has some permissions issue with github repo. Expect to continue working on this today and hope to be able to redeploy container when content changes
Developing Cornell's functional requirements in order to move toward linked data
Purpose: Vision for mid-term (3-5 years) transition to support linked-data at Cornell. May include things we don't yet have or cannot yet do, but not long-term vision of post-MARC environment
Important to understand sources of truth (primary data) and where there is derivative data
Imagine landscape with items described in multiple formats including at least MARC, BF, DC (eCommons), JSTOR
Imagine all items indexed and discoverable via D&A
2021-04-23 Working in Miro board
PCC/Sinopia and SVDE shape analysis
2021-03-19 Steven has been working through a spreadsheet of 400+ lines to compare the shape of SVDE data with the PCC/Sinopia profile. He is finding that there are many many differences which will severely limit how well Sinopia will be able to consume and edit SVDE data. For the purposes of QA/Sinopia cloning, Steven could come up with some ldpaths but not sure whether the amount of data will be useful. Steven expects to be able to share the spreadsheet at the next Sinopia/SVDE meeting. Going forward we need to consider the role of versioning/documenting shape changes and validation at both scale and single descriptions. Justin's validation scripts: https://github.com/LD4P/dctap. Tom Baker's csv2shex: https://github.com/tombaker/csv2shex
2021-03-26 Steven finished working through the spreadsheet comparing SVDE data with the PCC profile. Notes that he is looking only from the side of the PCC profile and would thus miss other things in SVDE data. Patterns around different types of work in SVDE data (e.g. Opus and other higher level works have very different shapes). Difficult pattern of double-reified relationships between works. Steven will let SVDE/QA folks know about completion of the work. Need to find a way toward alignment.
Hope to include URIs as part of Cornell FOLIO migration, possible LD4P work
2021-04-23 Likely going ahead in August
https://kula.uvic.ca/index.php/kula/announcement/view/1. Call for Proposals - Special Issue: "The Metadata Issue: Metadata as Knowledge". Due January 31, 2021 (abstract 300-500 words). Includes "The use of linked open data to facilitate the interaction between metadata and bodies of knowledge" and "Cultural heritage organization (libraries, archives, galleries, and museums) and academic projects that contribute to or leverage open knowledge platforms such as Wikidata"
Research paper format: "Word count: Research articles should be between 6,000 and 9,000 words (including notes but not references).". Peer reviewed. Have emailed KULA folks just to confirm type of article.
LD4 Conference 2021 - response on proposals will be announced April 30; conference is July 12-23
Discovery - suggestion of discussion form
Huda submitted status of discovery update, BOF for DAG, and discussion of opportunities for effects and use of linked data (60min discussion)
5/7: Received word that affinity groups will be getting reserved time they can use as desired, so may go ahead with BOF format (will need to discuss with co-chair/DAG members)
Lynette/Greg/Dave - containerization, should have documented product by then
4/9: Submitted abstract for presentation
Lynette – possibly something about the working group, perhaps updated version of code4lib