The face-to-face Spring 2020 Partner Meeting to be held at Emory University in Atlanta on 27/28 April has been cancelled due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Arrangements have been made to hold a virtual Partner Meeting on the same dates - Monday 27th and Tuesday 28th April. On each day there will be an approximately two-hour session starting at 9:00am PDT, 12:00 noon EDT, 5:00pm BST as set out below. The Zoom session will open 30 minutes before the meeting is due to start on each day.
|12:00 EDT||Housekeeping||Maria Whitaker|
The Community Manager will be advertised as a remote post. Things will be moved forward as quickly as the hiring freeze at Emory allows. If that becomes problematic we may need to consider an alternative hiring strategy.
Slides largely self-explanatory.
Slides largely self-explanatory.
Connect 2020 and 2021 (and maybe 2022) - info and status checks
Connect 2020 in Santa Barbara has been cancelled as the direct result of the COVID-19 pandemic. A virtual event will be arranged in place of the cancelled face-to-face conference. See Brian McBride's presentation below for further details. We plan to hold Connect 2021 at the University of Notre Dame (this was already in the early stages of planning as Rick Johnson's presentation below shows) and UC Santa Barbara hope to stage the event there in 2022.
|12:55||Virtual Connect 2020 - info|
May 14-15, 11am - 1pm EST
Currently 12 presentation proposals on a range of topics, 13 working group updates
Working on logistics - timetable likely available next week
Planning meeting on 4/30, until then proposals will still be accepted - ping David Schober and Franny Gaede on Slack if you do want to do so.
Encouraging contributions to, and participation in, Connect conferences; ideas for format of fall Connect
Contact brian dot mcbride at utah dot edu Slack: Brian McBride
Governance Working Group produced a set of six recommendations. Exercise is to go through them and judge how well we are doing in implementing them. Also going to survey more broadly - people who are interested in Samvera but not highly engaged - how we appear to people outside our Community but that we interact with. Rank each recommendation in a similar fashion to the 'It takes a Village' report:
|12:00 EDT||Housekeeping||Maria Whitaker|
Samvera's use of Circle CI
Samvera's current payment plan for CircleCI assumes a fairly steady usage of the tool and doesn’t cope well with the peaks that occur – for instance when we hold a developer event. It is proposed that we move to a new plan that relies us on buying ‘credits’ which can be used at any rate and topped up if needed. Our devs think that this may possibly lower our annual CircleCI bill as well as suiting their needs better. After discussion, it was agreed that we should move to the new arrangement immediately. The system will initially be set to provide regular credits at approximately the current rate of usage and we can manually finesse this as required - increased to deal with a peak, dialed back if we are amassing a surplus. Richard Green will notify Lyrasis of the change in charging pattern. The system will be set to copy Steering's finance subcommittee with details of charges.
|12:20||Brief reports from Roadmap Council, Component Maintenance WG, Hyku IG, Hyrax MWG and IG|
Nabeela referenced the detailed email she had sent out recently giving a quarterly update on the Roadmap Council's work. Her first slide details the membership of the Council. Subsequent slides set out the Council's three next goals and the pattern of meetings. The first goal, currently being worked on, involves analyzing roadmaps and planning cycles around the Community to try and produce a centralized roadmap. The second goal is to facilitate the process for getting code back into core, 'code reclamation'. The third goal is to improve communication into and out of the Roadmap Council, to help increase collaboration across the Community and to help facilitate 'asks'.
Rob Kaufman explained that the code reclamation work is to reclaim useful features for the core that have been implemented in one or more projects. As part of that it is envisaged that people who have contributed to core code in the past would work with 'new' people who have interesting code but have never yet contributed it back. Another aspect would be encourage people to look at existing implementations of a feature in the Community, and rather than write their own version from scratch, spend their dev cycles getting a generalized version of that feature code back into Hyrax. Rob wants to try and break the pattern that "we didn't invent this code and so want nothing to do with it" and, in doing so, cut down on duplicated work.
James's first slide details Phase 4 (Jan 2020 - Oct 2020) of the CMWG's work and its membership. Phase 3 had addressed quality assurance and documentation across all the core GitHub repositories. Phase 4 is addressing Ruby and Rails support to bring our code into line with their latest versions so that we can continue to take advantage of their bug fixes and security patches. CMWG are keeping up to date the 'State of Core Components' spreadsheet tracking new releases of gems that Samvera uses (note a typo on this slide - the date should refer to 2019). Future plans include a Community sprint in June 2020 to update our gem dependencies etc and possibly a second one in the fall. Keen to identify some more active members for the Group to help with the maintenance and documentation work; how do we get them, and would incentivization be helpful?
|James R. Griffin III|
Hyrax Maintenance Working Group
Group is a stable, agile team that runs sprints on a two weeks on, two weeks off basis to provide maintenance for the Hyrax code base. Goal is to prioritize security and bug-fixes, provide some stability in architectural direction of the code base and keep a level of coherence in the code across the many contributors. Group allows for a stable maintenance policy for Hyrax in terms of what gem versions are supported. Hyrax 2.7 is current, 3.0 coming soon. QA has moved from a pre-release 'swarm' to also involve ongoing QA on tickets going through the WG - not marked closed until the QA done in addition to the fix. Like CMWG, also looking to attract new members - please contact Tom or Jessica Hilt.
Hyrax Interest Group (inc update on Hyrax PO)
Meeting regularly and trying to 'pick up the slack' of not having a PO. Lot of planning for Hyrax 3.0 and Valkyrization so ticket grooming is a little behind. Participation has fallen off over the last few months but it is hoped 'summer will invigorate people'. Group has been searching for a new PO - this should become the pattern; it should not be for an outgoing PO to find someone. PO job description has been modified to be a bit more realistic in a 20%-size box but new POs should also be able to concentrate on parts of the job where they feel they can add most value and delegate the rest. A small number of candidates identified and talked with and Julie Hardesty is likely to take on the role starting July - does not want to take on the Community pieces of the role but to concentrate on the true PO aspects they should go to the Samvera Community Manager (CM), when appointed, or perhaps to a Hyrax CM in the meantime. Just working through a last few issues before Julie can make a formal commitment. General agreement that 'community asks' should be a CM role, not a PO one, and that these need to be regular.
Hyku Interest Group
Rob references the extensive Hyku update in the recently published Samvera Annual Report 2019 and does not propose to repeat that. Instead talks about what is coming. Big things include: the ability to route multiple domains to a given tenant; group and permissions work - trying to align the concept of groups in Hyrax with the rather different one in Hyku (using ideas from the Permissions WG); Bulkrax round-tripping (Hyku now has Bulkrax as a turn on/off option per tenant); Hykuup.com (Notch8) and u-repo.io (Ubiquity) are both live and accepting tenants. Community contribution is low at the moment. Upgrade of Hyku code to use Hyrax 3.0 is underway.
Chris's first slide lists Group members and communications channels - makes the point that new members are always welcome and this may be a good way to involve colleagues who might not normally engage with Samvera - perhaps those who 'market' a library? Chris's slides summarize the work done by the Group recently - primarily on updating the website where some 'refreshing' was needed and to ensure that it reflects the Samvera Community as it now is - not when it was put together several years ago. Website now embraces the Samvera vision statement and tries to capture details of newer applications that have emerged. Much of this updating work is now complete but there are a number of pages (especially the applications and demos page) which are still to do. Chris also pointed to the most recent version of Samvera's 'handout leaflet' for events and reminded people of ways in which they could promote Samvera - even at virtual events. Please let the Group know of all and any events you may be taking part in where Samvera can be promoted and ask if you need materials for them.
Next steps are considering how to differentiate marketing for different audiences, to add to the user profiles and case studies, and to see how our marketing might relate to, and possibly benefit from, marketing done by Lyrasis, our fiscal sponsor.
Please contact Chris if you have additional material and/or examples for the website or see parts that still need attention.
Robin's presentation covered a very brief history of Interest and Working Groups, a review of current practice around them, and a look at what direction we might take in future - and thus any changes needed in how we manage them. In her slide reviewing the currently active Interest Groups, Robin omitted the Repository Management Interest Group and apologized for that.
The wiki contains a detailed guide explaining how to set up an Interest Group or a Working Group; Robin talked through the basics and then started a discussion about what works well and anything that doesn't. The process of creating Interest and Working Groups and getting Community 'approval' for WGs seems to work well and the WGs are generally producing good outputs - often of direct use to those who come after. There is a question over whether requiring three Partners to be involved in a Working Group is helpful; might a Working Group operate with fewer Partners but many involved adopters. The wiki list of active and sunsetted groups needs to be regularly checked and updated - this should be a job for the Community Manager when appointed as part of keeping in 'low touch' with them all - an accurate list is important to those planning reports for Connect and Virtual Connect. It may be useful if the guidelines set out a simple process for notifying the Community that a Group is winding down. Group chairs/facilitators might be asked to send out to the Community mailing list (eg) a link to each new set of minutes so that people can more easily have an overview of Community activity. Robin will lead a small group to review the guidelines.
Partner Ask for Upgrading Hyrax to Improve Valkyrie Work
Partner ask has an analogy with Iron Man: the Hyrax Community is Iron Man. Iron Man's first suit was a concept with a limited test environment and was intended for single use (cf Princeton's first Valkyrie idea). We decided we wanted to take this on and incorporate Hyrax and Valkyrie together (the Wings project) and we're now making the next version of the suit (Hyrax 3.0). It's built and needs real-life tests to look for problems that the writers didn't forsee because everyone has slightly different environments. Need a commitment from Partners who are using the Hyrax app to upgrade 3.0 (in a test environment) not to use Active Fedora. Need tickets detailing the issues and giving feedback. Partners are well placed to help because they are invested in the future of the application and typically have more resources and/or experience to bring to the testing. This will benefit other potential users who are not so fortunate. Hoping to hold an 'upgrade fest' in June for people other than Partners to create tickets and update documentation. The whole operation will help the whole Community move forward together.
Wrap-up - evaluation of on-line versus f2f meeting (may be earlier depending on parking lot items)
Time ran out - this was dealt with by other means, off-line and the resulting Pluses and Deltas can be found here.
|Are job adverts put out on our lists successful? Where did successful applicants hear about their jobs (do we know)?||All|
Code of Conduct review - status check