Date and Time
January 26, 2017, 2pm EDT
Google Hangouts: https://hangouts.google.com/hangouts/_/artic.edu/pcdm-filesets
Moderator: Stefano Cossu
Notetaker: Andrew Myers
- Review last week's action items (see below)
- Review implementation work done so far
- Review ingest workflow diagram
- How should a use term config file look?
- Validation: duplicate uses in a FileSet, Files with no use
- How to configure pcdm:use options?
- We can use quesitoning_authority gem.
- Should we validate cardinality for pcdm:use
- Validating "required" would be much easier than validating cardinality. So let's start with that.
- How opinionated should code be about what goes into a FileSet?
- Not too much.
- Ideally, we should encourage implementers to consider a FileSet as a logical unit containing files that are derived from one another.
- A typical scenario would be a FileSet containing one "orginal file", with multiple other files derived from it.
- We want to steer people away from combining Files into FileSets where the Files are not derivatives of each other.
- Instead, we would encourage creating separate works, and then grouping those works together through a common association to another "parent" work.
- This assumes a feature of being able to "nest" works, which doesn't fully exist yet.
- However, there are use cases that introduce some gray area here.
- For instance, media files that have transcripts, i.e. are the transcripts actually derivatives?
- In these in-between cases, we prefer to not be too prescriptive, and allow implementers to choose the model that best suits their needs.
- Consider putting diagrams for data modeling use cases on the PCDM wiki.
- PCDM Use Validator in Hydra-Works.
- This is just a sketch (in Ruby) I drew up after the meeting, of what one might look like.
- Similar to Hydra PCDM Validators like these: http://www.rubydoc.info/gems/hydra-pcdm/0.9.0/Hydra/PCDM/Validators
Previous Action Items
- Esmé Cowles: add a comment to https://github.com/projecthydra-labs/hydra_file_sets_wg/issues/5 outlining some of the examples we have discussed for richer metadata attached to a FileSet.
- Stefano Cossu: draft a use case for multiple Files with the same use value, or no use value, attached to a FileSet. (see Re: 2017-01-05—FileSets WG Meeting)
- Drew - demonstrate progress on metadata-as-files branch of Hyrax
- Stefano - demonstrate using QA to provide options for pcdm:use