Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

You are viewing an old version of this page. View the current version.

Compare with Current View Page History

« Previous Version 3 Current »



  1. Introductions - Name and What you want to get out of participation in this advisory group

ML - I want to see lawyers who don't know about our business and non-lawyers who are in our business who don't have a good understanding of the issues - or create issues don't know how to deal with - I want to see these normalized skill sets. Something that is sustainable. I have been working in field for 30 yrs and I am involved in conversations in the 90s and I would love to see us build something that helps us move on. I also worry that a growing number of librarians charged with copyright guidance are not equipped or don’t have needed depth of experience.

CM - +1 to Melissa. I worked with a campus attorney and took an introduction in law school - but if they didnt' focus on IP librarians knew more about copyright than they did. Onlline resources. A lot of librarians I encounter - unless there is a copyright librarian - don't know enough. I argue with librarians about copyright law being 10%. They get a lot of bad information. I want there to be good copyright law information out there. The people who helped me when I got started - I want to pay back the help I got. 

RP - +1 Melissa. Since 1990s I have worked with archives, museums, and libraries - in a few countries - and it's remarkable how consistent the issues are acrsso cultural heritage. Consistent issues, varied contexts...
There are many opportunities to learn the basics. There's inconsistency in quality and how current the information is. I learned that collaboratively we can have a big impact on raising the bar. I want to see collaboration and walk across the sectors and foster more dialogue so we start tackling issues cohesively and get out of our echo chamber and have an impact discussing issues with larger IP bar and industries 

KC - Running copyright first responders - running it for 7 years. I want to continue to experiment reaching people that we can't reach. We are battling bad information or vague information that's difficult to apply. We can increase copyright pedagogy. I want to share lessons learned. Help with curriculum. I moved to advanced curriculum after doing basic. We can replicate the on the job training when we started. I learned by doing. We want to train them to do the work. The officialness of this - I give them a cert and a patch. This will be official. People put it on their resumes. This aids a large scale goal of advocacy. We can push agendas - we need to own this issue

SF +1 everyone. I am excited to formalize this network. We are part of a larger, less formal network. I'm excited about getting the support from LYR. We have been talking about the need for infrastructure. Kyle and Dave have infrastructure. But we need a network and infrastructure that serves a larger group. And now everyone is virtual and we will meet them where they are. It will help us connect the dots. We will have a stickier engagement given the environment. Ongoing support and sustainability is key. Really excited about this. With the support fo LYR getting this off the ground. 

MC - I'm less familiar with this group. I came into the job at the Getty Trust after Maureen Whalen and I was her protege and learned a ton from her. I learned everything on the job. I work in museums (25 yrs) and have been a lawyer for 9 yrs. I'm about to join the National Gallery. Persoanally I'm happy to keep up to date in these issues and copyright law reforms. Section 108 reforms. Museums are not covered under section 108. What I read int he prep materials around sustainability and burn out - as in house council and needing to train everyone and answer people's questions live - it's a lot. We can't do it all. Addressing that resonated for me. Building a community of people that can lean on one another is important too. Listservs aren't enough. Circumstances hamper a non-experts ability to make good decisions. I have been thinking about creating accessible education for non-experts. 

ML - Mikka your role deals with diversity, correct? Could you apply that lens to this work? 

MC - certainly. It's inevitable that I will bring that to this conversation. 

ML - Scaffolding - that's what the core curriculum will be. It will create consistency and avoid that burnout. 

D. - It makes me sad when I get out of blue emails and phone calls from librarians at all kinds of institutions about things they can absolutely do but they don't think they can. The library copyright institute was motivated by this as well. Lack of knowledge inhibits the ability for those libraries to fulfill their missions. We can help them accurately assess risk. When faced with something we know nothing about we can rather try it and not worry about or say it's scary and avoid it. I want to resolve that. There's a lot of misinformation. I have a bookshelf with pamphlets. They are copyright guidelines from the copyright clearance center. They are so conservative and inaccurate and it's frustrating. I want to help with Advocacy too. The type that is strength of numbers. So we can have a lot of libraries agreeing that they can do something and they do it. They're not lobbying. They're acting. And when enough orgs do that it's really powerful. 

Annie - based in Durham. She/her. I'm excited about doing 5 advanced classes on copyright. My role is to help focus us toward the classes and make those happen. 

  1. Housekeeping
    1. Communications (creating a group email), wiki, Google Drive
      1. ACTION - Erin Create Group Email. No slack. Google Drive - yes. Wiki space is somewhat static. Meeting notes are private but a synopsis of notes will be on the wiki. 
      2. We will keep the meeting notes for a year.
    2. Announcing Advisory Group - pls send link to current bio
      1. ACTION - Rina will compile the bios. 
    3. Group Agreement for setting expectations around roles, responsibilities, code of conduct, decision making, facilitation. 
      1. Link from Sharon:
    4. Meeting schedule
      1. ACTION -Sharon - Will send a Doodle and schedule biweekly meetings for 60 minutes. 
  2. Workplan overview and discussion
    1. We have the A team. We have curriculum. We all have ideas. We can do this. Deciding could be difficult. FLAG THIS. 
    2. Many of us have worked together. We have the benefit of Erin, Annie, Mikka as fresh eyes so we're not being insular. 
    3. I would like to draw on Mikka's expertise for the museum perspective. The issue I have is to ensure we are not missing anything. If you need assistance from me on the museum side we are happy to help finding instructors and find the curriculum. Mikka has resources. If we communicate we will find the right people. 
    4. Lots of concerns around cold and flu season and increases in COVID-19. If we go completely online again it will take up an enormous amount of our time. But it would impact my schedule in a big way. 
    5. We need to be flexible. If one person has a big change in availability - we will help them. If we all have a big change in availability we need to take stock and look at our timeline.  If this happens, members of this group will let Rina and Melissa know. 

Agenda for next time... 

  1. Advanced topics overview - what behaviours/outcomes do we want? Let’s work backward from there (major topic for next meeting) 
  2. Duke IMLS Grant overview (inviting Dave to speak about status of grant/work)


  • No labels