Page tree
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

Time/Place

This meeting is a hybrid teleconference and slack chat. Anyone is welcome to join...here's the info:

Attendee

Agenda


  1. Housekeeping: 
    1. Sprint Dates:  https://doodle.com/poll/2vgw3huvr8dugeuq:  
      1. Sept 10-22
      2. Oct 1-12 
    2. Leader for next week's call
  2. OR Impressions discussion
    1. Did OR change your thinking about future directions for Fedora?
      1. New features
      2. Future integrations
    2. Other discussion questions here: 
  3. Getting to 5.0
    1. In progress tickets
      1. FCREPO-2742 - Getting issue details... STATUS
      2. FCREPO-2717 - Getting issue details... STATUS
      3. FCREPO-2718 - Getting issue details... STATUS
      4. FCREPO-2771 - Getting issue details... STATUS
    2. Remaining external content (low-hanging: ie volunteers?) issues:

       Click here to expand...

      Key Summary T Created Updated Due Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution
      Loading...
      Refresh

    3. 5.x Documentation Effort matrix
    4. Compatibility Test Kit
  4. Possible New Feature (Set): Signposting
    1. Does it belong in the Fedora Layer? API-X? Other?
    2. If so, should the spec be modified to include it? 
  5. Ecosystem tools progress report
    1. Outstanding PRs
  6. Review Spec committee's direction on Fedora API Specification github issue (one-step fixity check)
    1. Also what about dangling question about storing checksums as a server managed triple? 
    2. Fedora API Specification "Candidate Recommendation #2" in the process of being released
    3. Fixity check encouraged as a sidecar specification
  7. <Add your agenda item here>

Ticket Summaries

  1. Please squash a bug!

     Click here to expand...

    Key Summary T Created Updated Due Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution
    Loading...
    Refresh

  2. Tickets resolved this week:

     Click here to expand...

    Key Summary T Created Updated Due Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution
    Loading...
    Refresh

  3. Tickets created this week:

     Click here to expand...

    Key Summary T Created Updated Due Assignee Reporter P Status Resolution
    Loading...
    Refresh

Minutes

  1. Housekeeping: 
    1. Sprint Dates:  https://doodle.com/poll/2vgw3huvr8dugeuq:  
      1. Sept 10-24
      2. Oct 1-14 
    2. Leader for next week's call
      1. Andrew will lead the discussion.  (Thank You Andrew!)
  2. OR Impressions discussion
    1. Danny: Signposting.
    2. Bseeger: Surprised by negative comments about Fedora here and there.  Need to focus on users.
    3. Peter: Josh attended.  People gun shy about Fedora.  People kept returning to the many members problem.  Unclear whether the problem was Fedora or ActiveFedora.  Could be conflating ActiveFedora's performance with Fedora's performance.
    4. Carrick: Samvera community does split between those who understand that ActiveFedora is an issue while others blame Fedora (for the many members problem).  Some problems are fixable with Solr tuning, others are intractable as it has to do with ActiveFedora specifically.
    5. Bseeger: Work on advertising our strengths.
    6. Carrick: Sometimes it is tuning Tomcat, for example, that could address performance issues.
    7. Danny: Is the current documentation insufficient?  Carrick: There are a number who have optimized locally (at Northwestern, at Stanford, at Princeton) but this information has never been clearly shared among us.
    8. Doron: Agree with performance comments.  Those who have had difficulty adopting Fedora are those of us who have many relationships with other objects, which may be the many member issue.  We've felt we have had to look elsewhere.  Perhaps also demonstrate how to use Fedora given this scenario (a book with many pages, e.g.).  Address performance for those use cases and provide guidance on how to do it.
    9. Andrew: Solutions for the many members are not necessarily clear or optimal for users.  One could reverse the relationship, but under the hood we still maintain bidirectional relationships and that might not solve the problem.  It has never been tested properly, to my knowledge.  Another way is to store the relationships in a text file, for example, and parse it when needed.  It is worth noting that a lot of the work being done is to decouple from Modeshape, which is the ultimate source of this issue.
    10. Danny: Perhaps communication is needed too, such as mapping out a timeline to move from modeshape and advertising that.
    11. Doron: Common use cases are difficult in the current stack.
    12. Carrick: Would like guidance about how best to model things for Fedora. We are creating a lot of blank nodes.
    13. Yinlin: In some use cases, Fedora is not the root cause of the performance problem. E.g. Adam's presentation at Samvera Connect 2017. Need to figure out a way to provide guidance about the best way to use Fedora.  Otherwise people use it badly and blame Fedora. 
  3. Getting to 5.0
    1. In progress tickets
      1. FCREPO-2742 - Allow single-document ACLs using hash URIs for authorizations. Reopened
        1. Peter: Have to look into availability to bring this to completion, perhaps in the next few days.
      2. FCREPO-2717 - A PUT on an LDP-RS should be denied if acl:Append applies In Progress
        1. Peter: Have to look into availability to bring this to completion, perhaps in the next few days.
      3. FCREPO-2718 - Disallow PUT, POST, and DELETE on LDP-NR where acl:Append applies In Progress
        1. Peter: Have to look into availability to bring this to completion, perhaps in the next few days.
      4. FCREPO-2771 - Mementos have incorrect subject returned Open
        1. Danny: Need someone to take this on.  Probably not a lot of work, but someone with know-how will be best.
        2. Bethany: On it.
    2. Remaining external content (low-hanging: ie volunteers?) issues:

      1. No comment.
    3. 5.x Documentation Effort matrix
      1. Moving along.
      2. Perhaps explore the possibility of highlighting to which version of Fedora the page pertains.  Or using a macro so we don't have to alter every documentation page per Fedora version.
      3. Contributors welcome.
    4. Compatibility Test Kit
      1. Danny: What to do with this?  Re-engage the contractors who had worked on it previously?
      2. Andrew: I can reach out to them and see if they have availability, but before I do that I would prefer to make sure no one on this call wants to take this on.
      3. https://github.com/fcrepo4-labs/Fedora-API-Test-Suite


  • Danny to explore inserting a macro into documentation for Fedora version.
  • Send email to community seeing who is interested in reviving OAI





  • No labels