Page tree

Versions Compared

Key

  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

...

  • Discovery (WP3)
    • https://github.com/LD4P/discovery/projects/2 for issues etc. 
    • Preliminary draft of a discovery plan- intended to get feedback: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1zKYW7FQVVNvyd0XjjW0qWznX9PC3jbmOE6Kz_yygPjs/edit?usp=sharing
    • Strand 1: production piece (i.e.: picking features we've already worked on to then push those into production): discogs, autosuggest. Feature branches in the code to work on features in isolation. Still need to discuss discogs with Tracey (post- 9/2). Preliminary pass with discogs features using latest production (from a few days ago) successful (tried on dev vm and will try on ld4p3 demo using continuous integration later)
      • Steps:
        • Discussion with Tracey re. use case and benefit – DONE
        • LTS engagement re. metadata - DONE
        • Production requirements and functionality – Production decision points
        • Discussion with D&A User Reps and dev team
      • What do we need to do before showing to D&A User Reps?
        • We are ready to demo. There is a particular UI style at present. Do we want to keep this or do we want to blend it more? Or do we separate it out as a different block?
          • Jason thinks that integration of Discogs data is less worrying that Wikidata might be. However, we can't speak to its quality and it is probably good to flag as external
          • Are there any API usage requirements around credit? Yes - there must be a notice and link
          • ACTION - Make sure the live demo meets the Discogs API terms of service in terms of linking and ack.
          • ACTION - Create mockup pages for the cases of 1) a completely blended presentation, and 2) a presentation where the Discogs data is separated out
          • ACTION - Huda to discuss with Adam having a meeting with User Reps sometime after Oct 5
        • Steven asks whether there should some presentation of Discogs data in the librarian view? This would help with debugging but is perhaps only important if we decided to go with seamless integration – Only think about this if blended view selected
        • Tracey had suggested some language pointing out what data is not used in search. For example, what if a user sees the record label in Discogs data and then tries searching on that (which they can't)?
          • ACTION - Tim to look into how we might display this
    • Strand 2: research: how to go from knowledge graph to an index - what decisions are needed. What are the data sources for each (e.g.: how many Cornell faculty in wikidata)? Present: reviewing data sources and questions. Should have more worked out in a week or two. Main areas of concern: browsing and dashboard... and anything we can do to help patrons navigate our collections and how we can highlight an entity... and what does that mean for the index? How do we capture the relevant bits of the graph for an index? Is there a repo for this? Not yet... but can use discovery repo (https://github.com/ld4p/discovery) we already have to capture any queries or related work.
      • Research decision points
      • Use cases - first review 2020-09-18
        • Interest in the dashboard idea (full page for entity) that extends on the idea of an embedded knowledge panel
      • Discovery Affinity Group is looking at design ideas
    • Can we get Blacklight fork to not hit the production catalog every time we do a pull request? Not clear way to specify that all pull requests should go to the fork rather than the main branch from which you forked. Huda is investigating with input from Code4Lib inquiry
    • LD4P3 demo blacklight sitesite 
      • 2020-09-11 - Have got Jenkins to pull from our branch now, some kinks still to work out. 2020-09-18 - Had some trouble with updates for Solr index, also coordinating with Robbie on disaster recovery process. Hope to have index up and running again today. Don't yet know whether we have fixed the issue with servers being shut down at 6pm to save costs, some issues with Solr not coming up properly at 7am. Will see when indexes are stable25 Issues with Solr updates resolved, fixed deployment to see JavaScript files but still issues with images in assets directory (not sure of issue). VPN issue - try CUL VPN as opposed to CU?
  • Linked-Data Authority Support (WP2) - A key element of this work package is a sustainable solution that others can deploy. Questions of budget for deployment. Need to get all code into LD4P repository. What would a good end-product look like both for our maintenance and for others to use
    • Qa Sinopia Collaboration
      • 2020-09-25 - Next meeting with ShareVDE will be next week (09-29) on how to access CKB, whether through cache or direct through ShareVDE API.  API structure tentative.  Trying to encourage them toward creating a QA compatible API, but even if they are compatible, there are some concerns about whether it will be performant.
    • Cache Containerization Plan
      • 2020-09-25 - Getting authority configurations from an external volume.  Sensitive data is coming from .env.  Greg is working on deployment to AWS using the latest changes.  I am working on updating the deploy instructions.
    • Search API Best Practices for Authoritative Data working group is still working through use cases, this seems very important to take sufficient time
      • 2020-09-25
        • Will be meeting this Monday and  continuing work on developer user stories.  Consistent participants include LC, OCLC, ISNI, ShareVDE, Mesh, Harvard, Stanford, and Cornell
        • Need to get contact information from Steven to share with PCC.  Looking at creating a survey that will allow for prioritization by PCC and the working group.  Should the user stories for PCC only be the cataloger user stories?
  • Developing Cornell's functional requirements in order to move toward linked data
  • Other Topics
    • OCLC Linked Data / Entities Advisory Group
      • Discussion of comprehensiveness and accuracy, "Minimum Viable Entity". There was a presentation at DCMI
    • PCC Sinopia Profiles Working group
      • 2020-09-18 - Still going through large spreadsheet comparing Sinopia profiles with BSR and CSR, close to having a comparison, will be part of report to POCO, still on target to complete in October
    • PCC Task Group on Non-RDA Entities
      • 2020-09-11 - Preliminary report went to POCO suggesting a small vocabulary of entity types, discussion about how to host/implement
      • 2020-09-18 - Meeting today. Use multiple types rather than combinatoric explosion25 Now have a short list if possibilities and close to decision
    • ld4l.org website - 
  • Default branch name
  • Upcoming meetings
    • LD4P(2/3) update for CUL-IT all-staff
      • Who/what? - Huda notes conflict with Blacklight summit
    • Virtual Blacklight Summit in early October. (Main site link and document to add lightning talk/breakout session ideas) - Huda is on unofficial committee. Expecting various follow-ons from earlier meeting this year. (Discussions still in progress and, at some point, draft program will be shared with the community). 
      • Agenda and registration link have gone out. Will be intro workshop, time for lightning talks and longer sessions. Sessions for plugin discussion including call-number browse
    • European BIBFRAME Summit; registration now open. Occurring 9/22-9/23 (9-11:30am Eastern each day): http://www.casalini.it/bfwe2020/ (no cost)
      • Steven will be talking talked on the panel in the second day
      • Some chat drama about RWOs...
      • Lots of questions about community process (some of which PCC is now dealing with)
    • SWIB
    • https://kula.journals.publicknowledgeproject.org/index.php/kula/announcement/view/1 .  Call for Proposals - Special Issue: "The Metadata Issue: Metadata as Knowledge".  Due January 2021 (abstract 300-500 words).  Includes "The use of linked open data to facilitate the interaction between metadata and bodies of knowledge" and "Cultural heritage organization (libraries, archives, galleries, and museums) and academic projects that contribute to or leverage open knowledge platforms such as Wikidata"

...