Child pages
  • Fall 2020 Partner Meeting

Versions Compared

Key

  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.

...

Wednesday

14th October



11:00 am  EDT

Housekeeping

OK to record the meeting? (Just for the purpose of retrospective note-taking)

Robin introduced Carla Arton, the new Manager of the Technology Solutions Group at UVA, who is interested in getting involved in the Community and who will be attending partner meetings and Connect On-Line. Welcome Carla!

Richard Green
11:10

Report back on the Community Manager appointment process:
Jeremy will explain the rigorous approach taken (slides, PDF)

  • See slides for an excellent overview of the process, including the Committee members, frameworks used, hiring timeline review, and some of Jeremy's personal observations on the process that could be useful for future hiring decisions.
  • 15 Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities (KSAs) were developed from the job description and were part of a weighted matrix. The KSAs were used to guide question development at each stage of the interview process.
  • JF will make templates of the spreadsheets and tools used as part of the process and share them with the Community.
Jeremy Friesen
11:20

Introducing Samvera's new Community Manager, Heather Greer Klein

  • Everyone gave a very warm welcome to Heather, and there was a fun Q&A question session. Heather previously served in several roles at LYRASIS and DuraSpace including as the Outreach & Engagement Coordinator for Digital Technology Services, the DSpace 7 Release Manager, and the DuraSpace Services Coordinator.  Prior to working at DuraSpace and LYRASIS, Heather was the Member Services Coordinator at the NC LIVE consortium. She received her MLIS from Simmons College. She lives and works in Durham, North Carolina in the Eastern time zone. 
  • Her first weeks will be focused on knowledge transfer from RG, the Interest and Working Groups, and Steering as well as communications planning and other organizational work. Heather will be reaching out to partners and others as well to hear about your experiences and thoughts.
  • Anyone in the Community is also encouraged to reach out and set a time to chat, Heather dot Klein at Emory dot edu

Carolyn Caizzi
Heather Greer Klein

11:35

Samvera Connect 2020 On-line - update

  • 200+ registrants for Connect On-line (attendees and speakers), 20 Presentations in addition to the plenary, 6 workshops, all with 10+ attendees, 10 poster sessions with Q&A slots scheduled
  • Torsten Reimer from the British library will provide the keynote address
  • Community building events are scheduled before and after the sessions 
  • Registrants on Sched will get messages providing the link to register for the Zoom webinar registration link for the 5 days of presentations
  • Presenters will get an invitation with a link that will give them presentation privileges; that link will work for the whole event
  • Workshop organizers and community building events will go directly from organizers to those who added those events to their Sched
  • Please let Heather and Richard know if there are questions, issues, things that need clarification, things that are going wrong, etc.
Brian McBride &
Program Committee
11:45

Fall Dev Congress - update

  • Held this year a few weeks after Connect, November 16th-18th. Please sign up to participate: Developer Congress - November 16-18 2020
  • Please spread the word in your organization and to colleagues to invite developers, designers, anyone with technical interest and interest in technical documentation. This event will help build connections as well as awareness of the shared codebase.
  • The main purpose and way to work together is in small groups based on topics and work, and those groups will determine their own schedules.
Anna Headley
11:50

Updating Samvera's Code of Conduct  - update: (slides, PDF)

Samvera is moving ahead with a review of the CoC with the assistance of a specialist organization.  See the slides for an explanation of the process so far and an overview of what is to come.

Hannah asked for Partners to share any innovative approaches to virtual Code of Conduct "helpers" at other events this year. No one had any examples to share, but expect to see creative approaches from Code4Lib and the DLF Forum. Dev4Lib did use the Code4Lib CoC for their meeting, and it brought forward the issue that hosts, technical helpers, and CoC helpers should not be the same person as all these roles require full attention. 

Hannah Frost & Jessica Hilt
12:00 pm

Governance review #1:

The Governance Review Group surveyed the broad Community to see how well they thought the governance changes were progressing.  This will be a brief report back.

See Governance Review Group Report for an overview.

Esmé Cowles
12:10

Governance review #2:

What the review group did not do was to ask if the governance changes were achieving the goals that the Community had for them.  This discussion will explore this second question.

  • The Partner's list was sent a feedback survey on the goals and if changes or improvements need to be made now that were are 2-3 years into the process. There were 13 respondents with a variety of opinions, but three themes stood out:
    • Improvements to community engagement
    • Questions about aligning goals across the Community, and how we can do a better job of that
    • Questions and comments about hiring the Technical Coordinator role --asked in the form if we still need one
  • Opened the floor to this larger group to ask, are there changes or improvements that can be made around each of these recommendations:
  • Elected Steering
    • No comments on this area
  • Centralized staff/Technical Coordinator
    • Whether this is relevant is dependent on what the job description would be. Are there things that the Community feels we would need from this role?
    • Coordinate and help tie development threads together
    • Will the proposed IMLS grant, if we get it, affect this role? There is a position in that grant that has some overlap and could transition to this role.
    • Is the goal someone who can contribute code back to the repositories, or more of a project manager? More of a technical advocate for Samvera solutions?
    • There is a gap in the Community of having someone dedicated to documentation and technical onboarding so that people are ready and able practically to ramp up and work in the time they are committed without many weeks of ramp-up. Takes a dedicated person to alleviate that. 
    • Can't rely on the funding model to pay for such a position. There could be other ways to fund the position, raising funds separate from the model. Some OSS projects will hire out a main contributor as a consultant for an institution trying to set something up. Is there something we could do around hosting, something that service providers aren't doing? Need an approach that isn't asking institutions for $10k a year, that is not sustainable.
  • Contribution Model
    • Have yet to prove the sustainability of the funding model  – but so far, implemented it one year and it is working well even in this chaotic year. 
    • If changes to the model are to be made, we would need to start talking about that now
    • Only way to fund Technical Coordinator role with contribution model funds would be expanding the partnership. Don't want to do that just to get additional funds. 
    • Expansion brings its own problems of adding more directions
    • Until everyone recovers from this pandemic (at least to a degree)- money is going to be tight and also marketing to grow membership is going to be harder.
    • Reasonable to expect next year's fundraising to be even harder than this year's
  • Roadmap Alignment Group
    • There have already been changes, including the name change ,and changing their work in response to feedback
Rosalyn Metz &
Carolyn Caizzi
12:30Break
12:45

The Julie Allinson Award

It is proposed that we should remember the enormous contribution that Julie made to the Hydra/Samvera Community by creating an annual award in her name.  What should this be, and how should it be funded?

Rosalyn Metz & Steering Group
1:00

Fundraising Team - report on its work 

    • Discussion of its work in 2020 and proposal from Steering to re-charter before 2021 (slides, PDF)
    • IMLS National Leadership Grant application - status check (slides, PDF)
Hannah Frost & Jon Dunn

Reports back #1


1:20Avalon (slides, PDF)Jon Dunn
1:30Parking lot and wrap-up

Thursday

15th October



11:00 am EDTHousekeepingHeather Greer Klein

Reports back #2
11:10Hyrax (slides, PDF)Julie Hardesty
11:30Valkyrie (slides, PDF)Trey Pendragon
11:40Hyku (slides, PDF)

Kevin Kochanski

12:00 pmRoadmaps Alignment Group (slides, PDF)Kate Lynch
12:15Component Maintenance Working Group (slides, PDF)James Griffin
12:30Break
12:45European update - Samvera/Fedora user groups (slides, PDF)Chris Awre
12:50Marketing Working Group (slides, PDF)Chris Awre
1:00UX Interest GroupAdam Arling
1:10Metadata Interest Group
Hyrax 3 Metadata Application Profile Documentation Working Group (slides, PDF)
Nora Egloff
1:20Controlled Vocabulary Decision Tree Working Group (slides, PDF)Julie Hardesty
1:30Repository Managers' Interest Group (slides, PDF)Moira Downey
1:40Parking lot and wrap-up

...