This charter has ended and is not longer active.
Scope & Objectives
This group will explore best practices for authorities that want to share their metadata through a linked data search API. This work is specifically looking to provide recommendations that allow for the creation of a common toolset that works across authorities supported by different agencies. The major outcome of this working group will be descriptions of the best practices in an easy to follow document empowering authority providers to create APIs and other deliverables that are compatible with supporting the development of a shared toolset. Additional documentation may be created providing authority consumers with a consistent pattern for writing tools and consuming authority metadata.
As the group process unfolded, it became clear that identifying use cases and user stories was necessary first step to insure the space was clearly defined. We hope that follow-on charters will address some of the original objectives statement.
Deliverables & Timeframe
Anticipated deliverables will include:
- Survey Results for Cataloger User Stories
- Cataloger User Stories for Working with Authoritative Data and Supporting Developer and Provider User Stories - This is a final summarization of the work of the first charter of the working group. User stories are organized into categories of related user stories. And each user story includes the priority as identified in the survey.
Meeting Times & Communication Channels
The call for participation was sent by invitation to authority providers, authority data consumers, and applications developers that make authority data available to consumers.
A regular schedule for meetings was set using Doodle. The selected time is every other Monday at 9am PT, 12pm ET, 6pm CEST starting Monday, June 8.
- Meeting notes recording action items and provisional decisions will be in the LD4P3 wiki linked from this page
Meetings, meeting minutes, deliverables, and milestones will be announced on LD4 google group, LD4P google group, and Samvera-Tech google group.
There is a dedicated Slack channel for asynchronous communication at slack: authority_api_wg
Meetings will take place on Zoom. See link to meetings below.
Lynette Rayle is inviting you to a scheduled Zoom meeting.
Working Group Documents
Roles are defined as:
- Provider - member of an authority provider organization
- Consumer - member of an organization consuming authority data
- Developer - technical staff interested in creating tools to work with linked data authorities
Expression of interest:
Working Group has convened.
Facilitator : E. Lynette Rayle (Cornell - Developer)
- Nate Trail Kevin Ford (Library of Congress - Provider)
- John Chapman Rick Bennett Kirk Hess (OCLC - Provider)
- Nancy Fallgren (MeSH - Provider)
- John Graybeal (BioPortal - Provider, Cedar - Consumer)
- Tiziana Possemato (ShareVDE - Provider)
- Lydia Pintscher Jens Uhlig (Wikidata - Provider)
- Rob Sanderson (Yale - Consumer)
- Hetty van Zutphen (ISNI - Provider)
- Steven Folsom (Cornell - Consumer)
- Christine Fernsebner Eslao (Harvard - Consumer)
- Jeremy Nelson Justin Littman (Stanford - Developer)
- Making Authorities Accessible as Linked Data - A perspective based on experiences working with Questioning Authority and the QaServer Lookup application which accesses authorities linked data search APIs.