Page tree

Versions Compared

Key

  • This line was added.
  • This line was removed.
  • Formatting was changed.
Comment: minutes from Oct 3, 2018

Date

at 12:00PM EDT

Attendees

  • Pascal-Nicolas Becker (The Library Code) 

  • Allan Bell (University of British Columbia Library) (star)

  • John Butler (University of Minnesota)
  • David Corbly (University of Oklahoma)

  • Lieven Droogmans (Atmire)
  • Federico Ferrario / Roberto Suardi (Cineca)

  • Scott Hanrath (University of Kansas)

  • Barbara Hirschmann (ETH Zurich)
  • Jyrki Ilva (National Library of Finland)

  • Salwa Ismail (Georgetown University)
  • Inba Kehoe (University of Victoria)
  • Pierre Lasou (Université Laval)

  • Agustina Martinez Garcia (University of Cambridge)

  • Joao Mendes Moreira (Foundation of Science and Technology Portugal)

  • Susanna Mornati (4Science)

  • César Olivares (CONCYTEC)
  • Kristi Palmer (Indiana University Purdue University Indiana)

  • Kristi Park (Texas Digital Library)

  • Jordan Piščanc (University of Trieste)

  • Beate Rajski (Hamburg University of Technology)
  • Maureen Walsh (The Ohio State University Libraries)

  • Andrew Weaver (Washington State University Libraries)

  • Tim Donohue - DuraSpace 

  • Michele Mennielli - DuraSpace 
  • Kristi Searle - DuraSpace
  • Erin Tripp - DuraSpace


The (star) represents who will be taking notes for a given meeting. It rotates after each meeting to the next person in the attendee list.


Dial-in

Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://duraspace.zoom.us/my/dspace  (Meeting ID: 502 527 3040)

  • Or via Telephone: Dial (for higher quality, dial a number based on your current location): 
    • USA: +1 669 900 6833 or +1 408 638 0968 or +1 646 876 9923 
    • Australia: +61 (0) 2 8015 2088 
    • Belgium: +32 (0) 2 588 4188 
    • Brazil: +55 11 4680 6788 or +55 21 3958 7888 
    • Canada: +1 647 558 0588 
    • Czech Republic: +420 2 2888 2388
    • Finland: +358 (0) 9 4245 1488
    • France: +33 (0) 1 8288 0188 
    • Germany: +49 (0) 30 3080 6188 
    • Ireland: +353 (0) 1 691 7488
    • Italy: +39 069 480 6488 
    • Netherlands: +31 (0) 20 241 0288
    • New Zealand: +64 (0) 4 831 8959 or +64 (0) 9 801 1188 
    • Norway: +47 2396 0588
    • Portugal: +351 308 804 188 
    • Spain: +34 91 198 0188
    • United Kingdom: +44 (0) 20 3695 0088 
    • Additional international numbers available at https://duraspace.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=YzSC5pcRHDJ1so3QBrCCg3FS96Uskzw3
  • Enter Meeting ID: 502 527 3040 , followed by #

Agenda

#TimeItemInformationWho
120'Discussions on Priorities and Task for SG
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1muEkhwFP2XwnwWYJvVzHEzeC6EMBA6asioOwZX9TZD0/edit#gid=239487671All
220'Seeking funding from SCOSS -- input from LG members

Dear Members of the Open Science Community, 

A year into an important initiative to help shore up vital, non-commercial services within the Open Science community; the Global Sustainability Coalition for Open Science Services (SCOSS) is now beginning our search for new potential candidates to help fund. If you are a non-profit essential infrastructure for Open Access or Open Science of international significance and are concerned about your sustainability, this mail is for you.

SCOSS launched in late 2017 as a response to a growing concern over the security of the infrastructure underpinning Open Science today. The intent? To ensure that key services like the Directory of Open Access Journals (DOAJ) and SHERPA/RoMEO, services that aid the scientific and scholarly community in the accessing and sharing of research, have the solvency to exist as well as innovate and evolve well into the future.

In short, this is how the initiative works: SCOSS provides the framework and funding structure, vetting potential candidates based on a defined set of criteria. The most eligible of those that pass the vigorous evaluation are then presented to the global OA/OS community of stakeholders with an appeal for monetary support in a crowdfunding-style approach.

To date, more than 750 thousand Euros have been pledged to help fund DOAJ and SHERPA/RoMEO, the first services selected in our pilot funding call.

We’re reaching out to you now as we are preparing to pre-screen services for eligibility for SCOSS’s second funding cycle; perhaps you are with a SCOSS relevant organisation, well-established but concerned about your sustainability. At this point, the board is seeking to identify a field of such potential candidates to vet; among the basic qualifications: eligible services must have a non-profit status in the country in which they are based and/or be affiliated with or owned by a research or educational institution. 

Services that are interested in seeking SCOSS funding are invited to send us a pre-application as a formal expression of interest in applying. The following information should be included:

      • Name of the person applying on behalf of the service/organisation and contact details
      • Organisation name
      • Year the organisation was established
      • Legal status of the organisation (e.g. non-profit)
      • In short descriptive form, the organisation’s aim
      • A description of the organisation’s financial situation and how SCOSS might be able to support efforts toward gaining sustainability (500 words max)

To be considered, all pre-applications must be submitted at https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSdsRiVAKvM85RIFvVqxVi0AOCgWpP8B-nvp5QojBfLiGUkp_A/viewform by 31 October. 
SCOSS will evaluate all submissions; those organisations that meet the SCOSS aforementioned description while making a clear, strong case for community support will be invited to apply formally in late 2018.

For all questions, please direct them to info@scoss.org

Thank you for your interest and support in this effort to secure our vital Open Science infrastructure. 

Kind regards,

Iryna Kuchma
On behalf of the SCOSS Advisory Group
http://www.scoss.org
info@scoss.org



310'DSpace North American User Group Meeting discussion
  • Texas Digital Library plans to host a DSpace North America Users Group Meeting in Austin, Texas in February 2019.
  • California has implemented a ban on travel to states with discriminatory laws. Because of anti-LGBT laws passed in 2017, Texas is on the list of banned states, and as a result, it’s unlikely that DSpace users from California institutions would be able to attend.
  • Several library organizations have chosen not to hold events in Texas -- both as a result of the ban and out of principle -- or have faced some level of controversy for hosting events in Texas.
  • DuraSpace has historically allowed projects to make their own decisions on issues like this one, provided they abide by the DuraSpace Code of Conduct. That code states that DuraSpace is “an international community dedicated to providing a welcoming, inclusive and positive experience for all members of our community,” but does not refer explicitly to event hosting locations.
  • TDL uses an inclusivity statement for other events it hosts and could repurpose for this event. See here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1XHNwgfSb1JuvaidSYYKTEOazVlSVL2FoTOCTXjBQ1Zs/edit?usp=sharing.

45'Updates and next steps













Notes

1) Discussions on Priorities and Task for SG  

The top three priorities were adopted primarily because the were so clearly the top three based on the voting.

  • DSpace 7: promotion, expedite release, testing
  • DSpace entities & data model (including ORCID)
  • Enhance interoperability /compliancy (GDPR, COAR, OpenAIRE, CRIS)

There is urgency to release DSpace 7 and ensure that the enhancements are effectively promoted to the community in order to reinvigorate DSpace’s reputation.

2) Seeking funding from SCOSS -- input from LG members

Duraspace will be submitting an Expression of Interest.

3) DSpace North American User Group Meeting discussion

Based on the California ban on travel, the Leadership Group decided to reach out to the community to see if another institution would like to host a User Group Meeting, or perhaps several institutions could host a number of meetings later in the year.  This would spread the opportunity to attend a User Group Meeting to other states, not specified.

If no other American institution(s) step forward, then the Texas Digital Library would move forward with their planning.  We would have communicated to the community an understanding of the issue and the possible ramifications on attendance of the User Group Meeting.

4) Updates and next steps

South America (Michele)

Tremendous interest in South America, including Brazilian User Group meeting with 100 people in the room and 300 and 250 people in Peru for meetings within a couple of months.  Events and slack channels in Portuguese and Spanish facilitate the sharing of ideas.

Germany (Pascal)

The 5th DSpace Anwendertreffen 2018 had almost 100 attendees to discuss DSpace and DSpace-CRIS over 2 days.

Some issues with Eprints was discussed based on some business model decisions (not taking community code and releasing features to paying customers first.  There might be some opportunities for the Leadership Committee to discuss.

Next Steps

Our November agenda is almost set.  The Future Roadmap of DSpace will take 30-40 minutes at the next meeting.


ACTION ITEMS

1) Discussions on Priorities and Task for SG

Before COB October 10, 2018 (Wednesday) Leaders are to add/edit/suggest tasks to the SG under the top 3 priorities that we've agreed to in the Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1qBWUWDccNh1Vke9r0z8tAZ9M9COoI0nDcr-5lOFjZ8c/edit). Please let the group know if there are questions or other ideas. Salwa will send the document to the Chair of the SG to discuss at their next meeting.

2) Seeking funding from SCOSS -- input from LG members

Questions/concerns should be sent to the leadership group so that Erin and Tim can incorporate our feedback into the Expression of Interest and subsequent application.

3) DSpace North American User Group Meeting discussion

  • Salwa will put together a document that summarizes Georgetown's experience and the level of effort required to host a User Group Meeting
  • Salwa, Erin, Tim and Mich will work on draft language for a request from Duraspace Leadership to ask for other User Group Meeting host(s).
  • Kristi will write a letter to inform Texas Legislators of the financial opportunities that may have been lost.

4) Next Steps

We already have a strategic plan for 2015-2018 here. Please review the plan before our meeting, if possible.