Leadership Group Members
- Tal Ayalon, World Bank Group
- Pascal-Nicolas Becker, The Library Code*
- Corey Davis, University of Victoria Libraries
Lieven Droogmans, Atmire*
- Tiago Ferreira, Neki IT**
- Rose Fredrick, Creighton University
- Victor Gomez, CONCYTEC***
- Scott Hanrath, University of Kansas*
- Barbara Hirschmann, ETH Zurich
- Jyrki Ilva, National Library of Finland
- Lautaro Julián Matas, LA Referencia**
- Tim McGeary, Duke University Libraries
- Agustina Martínez-García, University of Cambridge* (Vice Chair)
- Erik Moore, University of Minnesota*
- Susanna Mornati, 4Science*
- Jere Odell, IUPUI*
- Susan Parham, Georgia Institute of Technology
Kristi Park, Texas Digital Library* Beate Rajski, DSpace-Konsortium Deutschland
- Bronwen Sprout, The University of British Columbia
- Ianthe Sutherland, The University of Edinburgh
- Maureen Walsh, The Ohio State University Libraries* (Chair)
Simeon Warner, Cornell University Library
- Michele Mennielli
- Tim Donohue
The represents who will be taking notes for a given meeting. It rotates after each meeting to the next person in the attendee list.
*Members of DSpace Steering Group
**Community At Large Representative
***Ex-officio member nominated by the Leadership Group as representative of the community at large. Ex-officio members do not have voting rights
Meeting time: 11AM-1PM EDT; 3PM-5PM UTC
Join from PC, Mac, Linux, iOS or Android: https://lyrasis.zoom.us/j/5025273040?pwd=RTk4QUhISnhPRi9YenVrTFJKbDllQT09
Meeting ID: 502 527 3040
One tap mobile
+13126266799,,5025273040#,,,,,,0#,,995571# US (Chicago)
+13017158592,,5025273040#,,,,,,0#,,995571# US (Washington D.C)
Meeting ID: 502 527 3040
Find your local number: https://lyrasis.zoom.us/u/aoVg8CoUw
Welcome and Introductions
|2||10 min||Organizational Home||Erin Tripp|
|4||5 min||DSpace Program Coordinator||Tim|
|5||10 min||DSpace Development||Tim|
|7||5-10 min||Registered Service Providers||Michele|
|9||5 min||DSpace events||Tim, Erik, Pascal, Susanna|
|10||45 min||Breakout room discussion: DSpace commitment to equity and inclusion and open data|
Discuss and gather feedback from Leaders on 1) The DSpace project and equity and inclusion and 2) Open data and the DSpace project as a means to seed discussion and work by Steering and Leadership around DSpace project transparency and front-facing communications.
Leaders will break into 4 randomly assigned groups.
We will take 25 minutes for breakout discussions and then return for 20 minutes to report out and discuss with the whole group.
Guide for breakout discussions:
|11||5 min||Any other business, as time allows||All|
Organizational Home Update, Erin Tripp
- CEO Search Process
- Isaacson Miller working as search firm, completing interviews and surveys to inform position description and CEO search committee
- Process started in April with nominations and screening calls
- Semi-finalist interviews took place in August
- 4 finalists will be interviewing next week in Atlanta with a range of Lyarsis and community program stakeholders; candidate information will be available soon
- seeking to confirm that DSpace community is included in the interview process, ideally via Maureen as Leadership Chair
- Hope to be able to make offer in September with new CEO joining before the end of the year
- Looking for candidates who know the field and with high emotional intelligence
- Fiscal Update
- Fiscal Year 2022 completed June 30, 2022
- Audit shows fiscal performance was favorable (expenses compared to budget), including investments in DEI and accessibility and salary adjustments
- Lyrasis seeking to increase financial transparency through the organization; more information can be provided to DSpace on request
- Sentiment Analysis with Collaborators
- Talk to closest collaborations via interviewers with third party
- Interviews between Dec 2021 and Feb 2022
- Satisfaction higher for academic libraries, lower for publics and service providers
- Pulse check about how Lyrasis is doing and where to devote energy
- High points: staff, open access, open source, community
- Areas for improvements: clarify vision and strategy, fully integrate and describe offerings, internal silos and awareness of others work
- Equity work at Lyrasis
- April 2022 equity assessment from third party
- Report included strengths, weaknesses, recommendations
- Leadership team committed to implementing recommendations (e.g., handbook updates, professional development opportunities)
- Also conducting a compensation analysis to ensure equity and competitiveness
- Added equity statement to recruitment pages
Quarterly & end of FY21-22 Financials
- Budgeted to be slightly negative, but ended slightly positive
- Variances included memberships, DSpace development fund, and SCOSS funding (more than expected) and development costs (more development approved throughout the year than anticipated)
DSpace Program Coordinator Position, Part-time
- Natalie Baur will be joining DSpace as the Program Coordinator on Sept. 6th
- Will start at 10-15 hours per week; hope to grow to full-time eventually
- Announced via community email lists
- Made possible by SCOSS pledges
DSpace Development updates
- 5.11 and 6.4 released in late July -- bug fixes and security
- DSpace 5 and 6 approaching EOL this year and next; these may be final releases for both versions
- 7.4 coming in October (likely Oct 10th). 7.5 is due in Feb.
- Maintenance release: bug fixes, usability for early user feedback
- Goal is polished release to support more DSpace 7 upgrades ahead of 5/6 EOL. Will turn to new features in next release
- 8.0 development won't start until we finish Tiers 1-4 of our 7.x plan.
- If you find a feature missing in 7.x that you need, please report it! If it already has a ticket, you can add a comment to let us know we may want to consider bumping up the priority.
- 8.0 Planning: DSpace Release 7.0 Status?
- Membership renewals going well (85 invoiced and 65 paid so far)
- SCOSS received over $23,349 so far
- Development Fund received $46,500 so far
Registered Service Provider Program
- Renewals going well.
- Drop in overall number of providers, which is expected (from around 20 to around 10).
- Looking to have a smaller number of more engaged service providers.
- 3 different tiers: silver, gold, platinum (like memberships)
- Introduced a more structured certification process
- Focused on DSpace 7 all year
- Zoom calls (2nd Tuesday of the month at noon EDT) are open to anyone from the DSpace community: repository managers, developers, etc. are all welcome
- Want to hear stories of success and obstacles around upgrading to DSpace 7. Sharing of specifics and in-progress experiences are welcome.
- DCAT working on end user docs, "Learning DSpace." Contributors are welcome. Will be a complement to, not a replacement of, existing DSpace docs, with a less technical focus.
- DCAT is looking for a new chair or co-chairs. Contact Maureen (firstname.lastname@example.org) with suggestions. New perspectives welcome.
- Workshop/Workshop series being planned for November, tailored for different audiences with different volunteers leading:
- DSpace 7 for High-level for end users
- Installing or Upgrading to DSpace 7
- Developer focus
- Possible workshop on data modeling/Entities? Probably not for November, but perhaps for February.
- Broader community event being planned for February 2023.