Child pages
  • Samvera Tech Call 2019-06-05
Skip to end of metadata
Go to start of metadata

How to connect: https://psu.zoom.us/j/613720745 (link will launch Zoom client – if you do not have Zoom, expand the instructions below)

 Click to view telephone/H.323/SIP connection instructions

Telephone:

Meeting ID: 613 720 745

+1 646 876 9923 (US Toll)
+1 669 900 6833 (US Toll)
+1 408 638 0968 (US Toll)
International numbers available: https://psu.zoom.us/zoomconference?m=UZ_PRwQ56TNX1pDIsdDInAu8XPVqzlX3

H.323:

Meeting ID: 613 720 745

162.255.37.11 (US West)
162.255.36.11 (US East)
221.122.88.195 (China)
115.114.131.7 (India)
213.19.144.110 (EMEA)
202.177.207.158 (Australia)
209.9.211.110 (Hong Kong)
64.211.144.160 (Brazil)
69.174.57.160 (Canada)

SIP: 613720745@zoomcrc.com

Time: 9:00am PDT / Noon EDT

Moderator: Jim Coble

Notetaker: James R. Griffin III

Attendees:


Agenda

  1. Roll call by timezone per following order - ensure notetaker is present (moderator)

    1. folks outside North and South America

    2. Eastern timezone

    3. Central timezone

    4. Mountain timezone

    5. Pacific timezone

    6. folks who were missed or who dialed in during roll call

    7. Remind everyone to sign in on agenda.
    8. Welcome all newcomers!
  2. Agenda (moderator)
    1. Call for new agenda items (moderator)
    2. Pre-Samvera Connect Developer Congress?
      1. Space available for a developer get-together on the Monday before Connect 2019 in St Louis (Monday 21st October)
      2. Same time as the Samvera Partners' meeting and the day prior to the Tuesday Connect workshops
      3. Connect planning team needs to know before the end of July
    3. Add agenda items here
  3. Moderator & notetaker for next time
    1. Moderator:
    2. Notetaker:
  4. After call, this week's notetaker should create the agenda for the next call:
    1. Open template agenda titled "Samvera Tech Call 2019-xx-xx"

    2. Click on ... in the top right corner, and select copy.
    3. Popup will open for location. It should contain: 
      1. Space: Samvera
      2. Parent page: 2019
    4. Select copy. New page should be created.
    5. Modify the title to remove "copy of", update it with the next date, add moderator, notetaker, and any carry-over agenda info. Click Publish.
  5. PR Review
    1. Review issues:
    2. PR review coordinator for next time: 


Notes

Pre-Samvera Connect Developer Congress

  • Should a congress be hosted on the Monday before Samvera Connect?
  • It is the day prior to the workshops
  • This needs to be determined by the end of July
  • Tom Johnson: Informed Richard Green that this should happen
    • Would really like to be able to delegate planning this to members of the community
    • Hence, this is definitely going to be held
  • What else needs to be addressed?
  • We should provide those involved with Planning Committee that this should be held
  • Chris Colvard (tentatively), LaRita Robinson, and James Griffin will help with planning for this with Tom Johnson
  • Jim Coble: Will respond to the Planning Committee and forward these names


Hyrax on Wings

  • Update from Tom Johnson
  • Wings is the coy codename for the current effort to move Hyrax towards using Valkyrie
  • Last Friday, wrapped up third of four planned sprints on that planned work
  • There has been increasingly complete ActiveFedora adapter work in the "lib/wings" directory
  • In less than two weeks, there will be the final sprint
  • Existing ActiveFedora calls can be swapped for Valkyrie method calls
  • Tom is presently working to get the base Actor#save method to function properly with Valkyrie
  • Refactors to make peripheral ActiveFedora dependencies optional and less prominent is being addressed
  • Wrappers in the Hyrax code base for other functionality unrelated to persistence
  • The week after the next, there will be the final sprint
  • There may be some new participants in the last planned sprint
  • Hence, there might need to be some time paid to onboarding
  • While this is the last planned sprint, the work being addressed might not be completed
  • Questions
    • Chris: Is Valkyrie support going to be in Hyrax 3.0
    • Tom: There is no effort to make this happen
    • Overlapping with the last Valkyrie sprint, there is a Hyrax WG sprint beginning Monday
    • Hopefully that should lead to release candidates, which leads to a stable 3.0.0 release
    • Hyrax 4.0.0 will likely become a focus after 3.0.0 is released
    • 3.0.0 will not be delayed for the Valkyrie support work to be completed
    • Samvera is not managing releases from the standpoint that big features come with *.0 releases
    • Contrary to this, non-breaking features should become more commonplace


Next Scheduled Call

Chris: Moderator

Thomas Scherz: Notetaker

Tech. Call concluded at 09:17PDT/12:17EDT


Hyrax Pull Request Review

Led by Chris Colvard


3772

  • Labeled as in progress, but it should not be
  • Addresses issues for specifying the height and width for the IIIF Manifest consumed by the Universal Viewer
  • The Universal Viewer is still going to remain a fixed size on the page
  • Approval requested


3776

  • This has not had any review yet
  • Relates to "featured works" within the Hyrax UI
  • Seems fine to Tom Johnson
  • Chris will add Jen Diamond to the group of reviewers for Hyrax


3764

  • Is this a good PR to leave for the Working Group?
  • It's a reasonable substantial change, and it requires more sustained review
  • Chris Colvard requested himself for review


James needs to get the BE PRs updated and rebased


3560

  • Reviewed a while ago and asked for some additional changes
  • This might just need a rebase at this point
  • Do we wait and let them pick it back up?
  • It's going to be closed by StaleBot tomorrow if it does not get updated


3528

  • Definitely not a work in progress
  • Chris requested some tests, and Rob Kaufman did not introduce these
  • Is this desired for a 3.0.0 release?
  • Tom: Not really sure if this is a 3.0.0 blocker
  • This is also going to be closed by StaleBot tomorrow


3543

  • Confirmation for moving between tabs in collection editing interface
  • There was a change pushed after tests were requested
  • StaleBot will close this in three days
  • This is a Hyrax WG item


3762

  • Inform the user that they cannot make themselves a proxy user
  • This will be closed in four days
  • Chris reviewed this, but left it due to some confusion surrounding the behavior
  • Will delegate this to the Hyrax WG


3293

  • Introduces significant metadata changes
  • This cannot be shipped until there is a migration strategy for this
  • Tom: Might be able to coach the committer through next week


3716

  • GeoNames integration
  • Lynette was going to work with the assignee


3760

  • Julie wanted to finish this by the end of the week
  • UniversalViewer and alpha channels
  • Feels like this is a substantial change
  • Rob performed a review
  • Tom: This should just need a rebase, and then Tom can also review it
  • It should also be squashed, there are questionable commit names
  • Chris: The dependency upon Riiif within the CharacterizeJob seemed questionable
  • Tom: Agreed, Riiif is an optional dependency in Hyrax, so this might be a problem
  • Better to inline the Modules that this PR depends upon


Hyrax PR evaluation completed for this week

Are there any Samvera repository PRs aside from those for Hyrax which require some review?

(Nothing was identified)


Session concluded at 09:37PDT/12:37EDT


  • No labels